HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Work starting on 1street and 8th street underpasses later this year:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/touch/s...tml?id=9569969
Wasn't there something mentioned about putting a lounge underneath the underpass on 1st street?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 2:58 PM
BANNED

City has resumed work on 13th Ave greenway, the southern half between 2nd and 4th st sw. How far west are they planning to go this year?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 9:23 PM
BANNED

Nice, some of those Elms were looking sparse. Hope 17th ave is next.

Quote:
Downtown Calgary @downtowncalgary · 19h

53 trees on Stephen Avenue are getting replacements in May. Work starts next week: http://ow.ly/wj2Vj
https://twitter.com/downtowncalgary

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 4:18 PM
BANNED

Interesting, and a lot of the pics are from Calgary even though it's a US based study.
Quote:
Design Downtown for Women - Men Will Follow

Guest Blog: David Feehan, President, Civitas Consultants LLC

Years ago, when I was the downtown director in Kalamazoo, Michigan, a retail consultant we had engaged named Robert Sprague made a startling statement. “In 1950, 95 percent of the retail sales in the US occurred in downtowns. Today, less than 5 percent of retail sales are made in downtowns.” Sprague made that statement in the early 1990s and it is still true today, even in cities where there has been successful downtown revitalization. Only a few major cities still have downtown department stores and strong retail components - Seattle, San Francisco and Washington DC.

Many theories have been advanced as to why retail stores virtually abandoned US downtowns in a few decades. After all, office buildings were still being built in downtowns during the latter half of the past century. Major attractions – convention centers, ballparks, arenas and museums – became symbols of hoped-for reinvestment in and around downtowns. Other fads came and went – festival markets, aquariums, enclosed shopping malls; and still, downtowns continued to lose the one feature so many saw as they key to success – retail stores.

Some blamed the massive shift in residential development. Others pointed to the building of high-speed expressways that could whisk people to suburban communities quickly and without so much as a stoplight. Still others saw the increase in crime and the urban unrest of the 1960s as the culprit. Many thought that “white flight” – a desire of whites to get away from expanding black urban populations – was killing downtowns and central city commercial districts.

No doubt all of these factors and more contributed to the decline of downtowns since 1950. But one of the most obvious factors has until very recently been almost ignored. Downtowns have, by and large, ignored their most important customer – women – while shopping mall developers designed their facilities specifically for women.

Shortly after I left the presidency of the International Downtown Association in 2009, I started asking questions and doing research in concert with Dr. Carol Becker, who had just completed a survey of business improvement districts, or BIDs as they are more commonly known (BIAs in Canada) on behalf of IDA. Among the questions we asked ourselves were:

Are there significant gender differences in the way public spaces are perceived?
How important are women in terms of retail decisions, residential decisions and business location decisions?
Who really designs the downtown experience?
What obstacles are there to women who want to participate in and direct the design of downtowns?

Let me be clear: we were not just thinking about physical design – things like buildings and parks. We were interested in designing the whole experience – things like mobility and access, safety and security, friendliness, aesthetics, activities, opportunities to dine and be entertained as well as shop.
Research Says

Here is briefly what our research revealed:

Women control or influence roughly 80 to 85 percent of retail purchases.
Women control or influence approximately 80 percent of residential and health care decisions.
Women constitute nearly 60 percent of college graduates.
Women control more than half of the private wealth in the US.

And yet, women are grossly underrepresented in the professions that design the downtown experience. Architects, landscape architects, urban planners and designers, engineers, real estate developers and brokers, even construction professionals and lenders are predominantly male. Only 16 percent of registered architects are women. Only 3 percent of engineers are women.

We could not find a “Top 50” firm in any of the above categories in the US that is headed or owned by a woman. But perhaps in government agencies that impact downtown we might find women more represented? Not hardly. In the US federal government, at the cabinet level, there have been 14 Secretaries of the Department of Housing and Urban Development, but only two have been women. At the Department of Transportation, 2 Secretaries out of 16 have been women; and at the Department of Commerce, only 3 out of 43 Secretaries have been women.

At the professional association level, we had hoped to find women better represented, but this was not the case. Virtually all of the professional and trade associations having to do with the downtown experience (International Downtown Association, National Main Street Center, Urban Land Institute, American Planning Association, American Institute of Architects, National League of Cities, US Conference of Mayors, International City and County Managers Association, American Public Transportation Association, International Parking Institute and others) were headed by men at the time we began our research. Today, a couple of women have been named to top posts.

In short, what we have is a terrible mismatch. One only has to look at the things women hate like dirty, dark parking garages, filthy or nonexistent public restrooms, street furniture designed for a person taller than 5’ 9” tall, multi-space parking meters with screens that are too high and hard to read, lack of signage and wayfinding, and a hundred other things that men tend not to notice.
Last Word

Women are not as involved in downtown design as they should be.

Dr. Becker and I, along with a number of noted co-authors and contributors are set to publish a new book this summer, called “Design Downtown for Women – Men Will Follow.” In the book, we suggest some ways that those of us who care about downtowns and urban commercial districts can begin to change they way the downtown experience is designed and delivered.

The book also challenges decision-makers to not just ask women what they want, but to bring women into leadership positions in the decision-making process.

Everyday Tourist Note:

While this research is for American cities, I expect same is true for Canadian cities. London, Hamilton and Windsor no longer have any department stores and struggling indoor retail centres. Winnipeg, Edmonton, Regina and Saskatoon struggle to make their downtowns viable shopping districts.

We have to rethink how we plan our downtowns from the design of parkades, street furniture and sidewalk, to street signage to wayfinding systems. We talk about making our urban places more pedestrian friendly, when perhaps we should be more specific and make them female friendly. We can’t keep doing the same thing and expect different results – that’s insanity!

Dave Feehan can be reached at: civitas.dave@me.com
http://everydaytourist.ca/blog/2014/...en-will-follow

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 4:38 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Interesting, and a lot of the pics are from Calgary even though it's a US based study.

http://everydaytourist.ca/blog/2014/...en-will-follow
I believe the blogger (everydaytourist) is from Calgary hence the Calgary pictures

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 4:45 PM

Quote:
City has resumed work on 13th Ave greenway, the southern half between 2nd and 4th st sw. How far west are they planning to go this year?
There is no south half, this was utility work they did in the fall last year that is being finished now that the ground isn't frozen. I think the greenway will go to 5St, then I hope it stops there. I'd hate to see them rip out all the mature Elm trees west of 5th for no real reason.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
There is no south half, this was utility work they did in the fall last year that is being finished now that the ground isn't frozen. I think the greenway will go to 5St, then I hope it stops there. I'd hate to see them rip out all the mature Elm trees west of 5th for no real reason.
That is the community's preference too. Past 5th there streetscape is already quite good, and there the right of way is already too narrow.

However the city has alluded in the past that they want to continue all the way west to at least 8th, but fortunately past 5th hasn't been budgeted for to my knowledge.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 5:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I was wondering about that too. I can't see them ripping out all those healthy mature trees, hope they just replace the sidewalks and add some plants similar to the rest of the greenway.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 5:25 PM

My only concern west of 5th street is there are sections where the sidewalk is quite narrow, but they could just make it a consistent width and call it a day. One thing about the part beside the Sheldon Chumir I'm not sure about is can they even have the greenway there without removing the layby that the handi-busses use to access the south entrance to the building? this would be yet another place where vehicles will park on the sidewalk if they do get rid of it. At least they would finally finish that electrical vault they ripped out a year and a half ago...

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 7:40 PM

Looks like the nice lounge chairs and public washrooms in the East Village / Riverwalk are becoming a problem. I'm not really surprised as there aren't many people in the area aside from homeless and vagrants right now. Hopefully once people start moving into the East Village and the retail in the Simmons building is open they will open the washrooms 24/7 and put the loungers back.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...suse-1.2633462

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 11:56 PM
ARTchitecture

Haha just saw your post Calgarian! I also just posted that article in the East Village thread. I agree, I think things will really turn around for the community once First, Pulse, and Fuse are occupied. Safety in numbers is an actual thing, and those three towers will likely bring around 1000 new residents, not to mention the out-of-neighbourhood pedestrian activity that the Simmons Building restaurants will attract. It's unfortunate that this kind of crap is happening, but it won't be forever. Look at Gastown in Vancouver as a fantastic example of gentrification... even areas that aren't necessarily being gentrified, such as Victory Square Park (in front of the Dominion Building), are now areas that regular people hang out now, while two years ago it was basically a sleeping area for homeless. I guess it's just due to critical mass, which is something that the East Village will definitely have.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 1:44 AM

delete

Last edited by nick.flood; Feb 5, 2016 at 6:15 PM.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 2:18 AM
ARTchitecture

Sure it is. Just nowhere near the scale that Gastown/DTES is.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 2:44 AM

delete

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.flood View Post
Not by the definition of what gentrification actually means.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dictionary
: the restoration of run-down urban areas by the middle class (resulting in the displacement of low-income residents)
no?

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 3:05 AM

delete

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 3:14 AM
ARTchitecture

The residents of the Cecil, St. Louis, and King Edward Hotels... the vagrants living on the streets surrounding the village, and the squatters living in the abandoned factories/buildings before they were demolished. Gentrification. Regardless, we don't need to turn this into a pedantic/semantic debate. You knew exactly what I meant, and gentrification is a very close meaning to what I was referring to, if not exact.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Regardless, we don't need to turn this into a pedantic/semantic debate. You knew exactly what I meant
But, but, but... THIS IS THE INTERNET! Next you'll tell me that pictures of cats with poorly spelled captions are dumb.

Last edited by 93JC; May 7, 2014 at 3:34 AM.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 3:38 AM

delete

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 3:49 AM
ARTchitecture

Good God. So that whole "let's not get pedantic" thing just didn't click, eh?

You knew exactly what I meant when I said it. Give it a rest. If you want to educate, then educate. Don't just douche away the conversation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues