HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 2:09 AM

Rona in Creekside

Hey guys,

I was jsut wondering if any of you know what is going in that space? thanks guys

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry07 View Post
Hey guys,

I was jsut wondering if any of you know what is going in that space? thanks guys
Rona has closed up shop in that location. Not sure what will replace it though.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Hey guys,

I was in before they closed and talking to some of the staff. Sounds like the corporate plan is to open a Totem up near Sage Hill next year as the full Rona never had enough traffic to justify its size.

They also said they heard the current store was going to be turned into a Walmart.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenOfSlack View Post
They also said they heard the current store was going to be turned into a Walmart.
The skinny on Creekside.

- The mall is owned by Calgary Co-op and they have the final say in what goes into the mall.
- Walmart wanted to go into the location really bad, but they only wanted to go into the mall with a Super Centre (full grocery, produce, etc). Co-op is the only grocery location allowed in the mall area, so the Walmart plan was put on ice.
- The space has been leased out to another American retailer. I shouldn't say who as the deal is not public. However if anyone wants to know, they can go into Creekside Co-op and get the information (all the staff have been told, but most of the kiddies failed to see the significance of the incomming tennant).

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 5:22 PM
power to the people!

I used to live in Evanston, and I never saw the point of opening a HIW in the midst of all new homes. I mean, isn't the point of buying new to avoid remodelling? I'm sure it would do okay if all it sold were sod and decking supplies.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 6:05 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineman View Post
I used to live in Evanston, and I never saw the point of opening a HIW in the midst of all new homes. I mean, isn't the point of buying new to avoid remodelling? I'm sure it would do okay if all it sold were sod and decking supplies.
It is convenient for the contractors to have a Rona or Home Depot close by while they are building the communities.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 6:48 PM

Cage, when it does become public could you please post it, or direct us to the appropriate link for the press release? Thanks!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Hey guys,

I talked a couple of the staffs at CO-OP,one told me that it is going to be a Target store, the other one said it might be a Walmart without super centre to start with. So who knows till the tenant starts moving in.

But my wife would like a RCSS where she shops the most.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 7:42 PM

As Cage mentioned, the staff were informed but didn't pay attention, so they seem to be making things up to whomever asks. Walmart, Target, which is it or neither? Sheesh!

@motion22, I highly doubt Coop would allow RCSS to move in, being a grocery store, same reason they wouldn't allow Walmart to move in with a grocery department.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
As Cage mentioned, the staff were informed but didn't pay attention, so they seem to be making things up to whomever asks. Walmart, Target, which is it or neither? Sheesh!

@motion22, I highly doubt Coop would allow RCSS to move in, being a grocery store, same reason they wouldn't allow Walmart to move in with a grocery department.
Again if you talk to the more seasoned people at Creekside co-op they can give you the full details. Especially the supervisors, managers, and centre manager all know who is the new tenant.

The staff are not making stuff up. Its just the story was a little complex with the rejected application of Walmart.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
I know it won't be a RCSS, it was just her desire. "American Retailer" starts to made me think that would be LOWES. (Just don't have time to go to CO-OP yet ). And who else could it be?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 2:17 AM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion22 View Post
I know it won't be a RCSS, it was just her desire. "American Retailer" starts to made me think that would be LOWES. (Just don't have time to go to CO-OP yet ). And who else could it be?
I'm betting Target

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 5:39 AM

I also heard that target might be going in there but I thought they were busy buying up the zellers and converting those to target stores? Ive also heard rio-can is trying to secure either walmart or a target type retailer for the new commercial shopping area for the future sagehill crossing development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
I'm betting Target

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 2:38 PM
power to the people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
It is convenient for the contractors to have a Rona or Home Depot close by while they are building the communities.
When I was framing, it was more convenient and cheaper to call prime fasteners and have them come by. A HIW is the last place we would step foot into.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 2:50 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineman View Post
When I was framing, it was more convenient and cheaper to call prime fasteners and have them come by. A HIW is the last place we would step foot into.
So no one building a house (homeowner, designer or builder) would ever step foot in one of these stores?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 3:16 PM
power to the people!

I'm not saying that. It's just that a store in a brand new out of the way area just would be running at a loss for a few years. It doesn't make much sense.

Edit: when I lived in Evanston, I barely ever went to HIWs. Now that I'm in a 20 yo infill, I'm going to those places constantly.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 7:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
The skinny on Creekside.
- The space has been leased out to another American retailer. I shouldn't say who as the deal is not public. However if anyone wants to know, they can go into Creekside Co-op and get the information (all the staff have been told, but most of the kiddies failed to see the significance of the incomming tennant).
I finally made my way to CO-OP yesterday. Guess what, they all said that nothing has been decided yet. Well, if Cage can't speak up until the decision becomes public, then I have to patiently wait and see .

Old Posted Jul 28, 2012, 10:41 PM

went there a few days ago and it doesnt seem like anyone really knows whats going in there. If walmart was to go into that site, the only issue I see is the lack of parking at the site for it.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 6:06 PM

Bump!! Has anyone heard any update on this. Hopewell must have lost a mint on this property.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 9:38 PM

I would still put money on a large American retailer, one that could sign a lease and not immediately develop the property because they are otherwise engaged in other activities.

The concept of retailers leasing space but keeping the location idle has been done before, Throughout the 80s and 90s Safeway would employ this strategy, much to the chagrin of the local neighbourhood.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues