Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 9:54 PM

So, we will have two new great towers.

15 Penn - 1,400 ft tall.

Penn East tower - 1,350 ft tall.

Great

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 10:32 PM

I didn’t get a chance to view the pamphlet before it got taken down. Did it say who the architects are? If I had to guess, I’d say that 15 Penn is an Ingels design and Penn East is either a Foster or Rogers design.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 10:34 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky88 View Post

So, we will have two new great towers.

15 Penn - 1,400 ft tall.

Penn East tower - 1,350 ft tall.

Great

When you have 1 super tall, it is a tragedy. When you have 20+ super talls, it is a statistic!

The show goes on!!!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeSelby View Post
I didn’t get a chance to view the pamphlet before it got taken down. Did it say who the architects are? If I had to guess, I’d say that 15 Penn is an Ingels design and Penn East is either a Foster or Rogers design.
It’s Rafael Vinoly for 15 Penn Plaza

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 11:55 PM

WTF is that inanity?

Is it a joke?

That's the architectural equivalent of nails on the blackboard.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 12:02 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The mass and height are nice, but I agree, the design is rubbish, IMO. Hopefully it gets a redesign, but on a side note, tenants probally want this kind of stuff.

Similar to BIG's 2 WTC design, part of the logic behind that design was that some of the attributes are what tenants, seeking Class-A space, want.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 12:12 AM

I hope they choose a different architect. Vinoly is a vandal

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt19215 View Post
Thanks!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt19215 View Post
Thanks for this.

Do you know if it's Foster for Penn East?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Thanks for this.

Do you know if it's Foster for Penn East?
no clue, but it seems like a foster design

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 4:51 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
It is certainly jarring. I think we're just used to buildings this tall being skinny residential towers. Tower Fifth has a small footprint and 350 Park tapers to lessen its gravitas. This is the first unapologetic behemoth we've actually seen.
I know some of you are younger, but I'm from the WTC days of the Twin Towers, which were absolute beasts. They were forgiven because they worked as a team, unique on the skyline. But they were bulky beast that drowned out everything else. The supertall slims have only been around for a handful of years, and it's still taking some time to get used to taller towers in Midtown than the ESB.

The only thing I can gather from the brochure at least is that this is the tower Vornado is working with, and it needs work. But it's basically as I said earlier when we first saw this design. It's five individual buildings stacked on top of each other.

That could work, if the individual tower blocks got smaller as it rose. But they are going after those large office plates that tenants are looking for.

And the top is probably still to be worked on. I'm not sure how much better it can get because the building is wide and blocky. And this to go along with 270 Park and Tower Fifth. And the smaller blocks like the Spiral, 50 Hudson, 3 Hudson, etc. We need more "flair" topping the skyline, especially with CPT now leading the way to blandness.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 1:37 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Some folks do not like this tower. Look at this comment...

Quote:
David in Bushwick | June 5, 2019 at 8:58 am | Reply

A hideous, horrible, hulking monstrosity. Did a child design this or is it senility? What is the purpose of all that dead tree outdoor open space? Office workers aren’t allowed to leave their computer screen. This is a bad joke to the worst excesses of our current dystopian culture. And bringing up negative headlines about the Hotel Pennsylvania is simply a pathetic excuse for demolition of the historic building. We need the Trump Recession to happen soon to stop this crap.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 1:43 PM
arf

I like bits and pieces of it, but the top looks terrible. I think I get the concept of what the top is trying to do, but it just looks...and the only word I can come up with is dumb.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 2:02 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Some folks do not like this tower. Look at this comment...
Obviously some folks dont like it, and won't like it regardless of design. The hotel itself is doomed in one way or another (if Vornado doesnt build the tower, the hotel will be redeveloped.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Obviously some folks dont like it, and won't like it regardless of design. The hotel itself is doomed in one way or another (if Vornado doesnt build the tower, the hotel will be redeveloped.

That's the ugliest POS proposed in NYC to date. Stackables, 5 large open voids, Greens and a terrible crown..YIKES!!

Enough with the green in the sky crap.

If you want greens, go to Central Park.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 3:31 PM
Ω

Absolutely wretched. That mechanical box is blasphemy.

Covering something in trees doesn't make it nice. Regardless, these trees always get VEed from the design. The jenga stacking trend is atrocious; I wish it would go away.

Last edited by Zerton; Jun 5, 2019 at 3:34 PM. Reason: I wanted to complain about more things.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 6:05 PM
BANNED

David in Bushwick is a deeply disturbed man. "We need the Trump Recession to happen soon to stop this crap."

If you cannot understand the absurdity of this comment, read it twice. Three times if need be.

It would be an interesting mid-rise tower but right now the thing is nothing short of a hulking monstrosity, ESPECIALLY with that stupid blue "crown". The design was without a doubt driven by a group of millennials at FB who have no respect for architectural norms. Can't believe this came out of Foster's studio. I have to think they forced him to generate this in a locked safe-space at gunpoint. If you want to create a vertical park, look to Shanghai tower for inspiration. Idiots.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 6:26 PM

It’s just the new style of office architecture, open floor slabs and balconies just like BIGs 2WTC and 350 Park ave catering the tenants. Vanderbilt and Hudson yards even though recently built, they are old designs. We just have to get used to this new trend

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 9:42 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNYC View Post
Enough with the green in the sky crap.

If you want greens, go to Central Park.

Well, all of these new terraces popping up on all the new buildings and refurbished old buildings are only because of demand. It's not the market for 1930's office buildings anymore, and the smart developers know it. But yeah, who wouldn't want to go to Central Park in the middle of the workday.

As for Facebook, I wouldn't put too much into that just yet. If Vornado had confirmed them as a tenant, we'd be hearing about it.

https://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/...attan.amp.html

Take a peek at what Facebook and Vornado want to build in Midtown Manhattan

Anthony Noto
Jun 5, 2019

Quote:
Facebook Inc. is planning to takeover a massive 2.8-million-square-foot tower that's currently being planned for Midtown, Manhattan.

According to New York Yimby, Vornado Realy Trust has a new configuration for the site, which is being designed by Rafael Vinoly, the architect behind the critically panned 432 Park Avenue tower on Billionaire's Row.
Quote:
The "Facebook" tower, which has been dubbed “Penn15”, will consist of "stacked floorplates" interspersed and cantilevered atop one another, the report continued.

Each of the tower’s five components will total 560,000 square feet apiece.

No tentative completion date has been mentioned, and no commitment from Facebook (NASDAQ: FB) has been formally announced.

The Menlo Park, California-based social media giant is just one of several tech giants expanding in New York City. The others include Google, Apple and Amazon.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 9:51 PM

This one is huge i thing it must go above 1600ft

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals