HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 2:50 PM
New Yorker for life

A few more people in the park than the cold, windy day I took photos...

Benjamin Rosamond

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 2:59 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Man I totally want to go to New York now to check out the High Line and this new park!

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 1:26 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Man I totally want to go to New York now to check out the High Line and this new park!
That's the spirit...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 2:08 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 12:18 PM

NYguy please take a picture to this site to see how it has been? thank you very much; your photos are spectacular!!!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 1:38 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by topota View Post
NYguy please take a picture to this site to see how it has been? thank you very much; your photos are spectacular!!!
That's the section of the park that's always been a park - Empire Fulton Ferry State Park. It was "absorbed" a few months ago by the greater Brooklyn Bridge Park,
and is now closed while they do work there. Here are a couple of pics from last week...

I'm sure the movies there will continue...

l c m tt

Jared Klett

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 2:19 PM
New Yorker for life

Future sections of the park, including the recreational piers 2 and 3...

magama.krakow

The section due to open later this spring (Pier 6)...

Another athletic pier (Pier 5), a few years off...

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 1:30 PM

Thank you very much NYguy for that information and pictures, that live there lucky friend!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2010, 12:07 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Look at American International standing proud.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2010, 2:41 AM

I love this park... New York is doing amazing things with expanding its park system. Brooklyn Bridge Park and the Highline...

Old Posted Apr 2, 2010, 5:03 AM
New Yorker for life

With so many phases left to open, it's like the park that keeps on giving...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/02/ar...l?ref=nyregion

The Greening of the Waterfront

Brooklyn Bridge Park, with its first phase on Pier 1 in Brooklyn. When completed the park will stretch from just north of the Brooklyn Bridge south to Atlantic Avenue.

Quote:
The mayor’s office was in such a rush to showcase the completion of the first phase of its new Brooklyn Bridge Park in Brooklyn that it opened it too soon. Construction crews are still installing handrails. Walkways remain unpaved. Only a few early buds are showing on the freshly planted trees.

It takes a serious imaginative effort to picture what the park will look like when its entire 65 acres, stretching from just north of the Brooklyn Bridge south to Atlantic Avenue, are complete — a process that will take years.

But the effect it will have on New York is immeasurable.

...To appreciate the scope of the planned Brooklyn park, start at the Brooklyn Heights Promenade. Only a few years ago this stretch of pavement looked down over huge dilapidated warehouses that covered several waterfront piers extending to the north and south. Today most of the warehouses have been demolished to make room for new lawns and playgrounds; much of the park will be on the piers. The bare steel frame of one warehouse can be seen just to the north; it will eventually be converted to indoor basketball and handball courts. Just past it is the newly opened first phase of the park, on Pier 1: a trapezoidal patch of green near the foot of the Brooklyn Bridge.

Mr. Van Valkenburgh conceived each pier as a distinct experience. Pier 6, the furthest to the left, will be covered by patches of wetlands and lawn and volleyball courts. Pier 5 will offer outdoor “active recreation areas,” with soccer and softball fields. Others will be blanketed with grass, a pebble beach, an outdoor event space. The piers will be linked by an informal landscape of rolling lawns and pathways that will eventually stretch 1.2 miles along the waterfront and will link up with the existing Empire-Fulton Ferry State Park on the other side of the bridge, in Dumbo.
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/201...how_index.html

Old Posted Apr 4, 2010, 2:43 PM
New Yorker for life

Didn't take long for the crowds (and cameras) to come. Everyone loves a park, especially a new one...

ianqui

aklipinski

nightcrawler1961

Old Posted Apr 4, 2010, 3:33 PM

i went here on opening day, and i was really disappointed. i felt a lot like i was in some high end barn yard. the fence is just wire tacked onto a heavy timber post... at first i was afraid to touch it because it looked like any electrical fence used to keep animals inside. the walkways alternate between granite steps and asphalt flat areas. the heavy timber poles with very industrial lights on them just add to the overall barnyard feeling.
for the most part it seemed very unpolished... NOTHING like the highline.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2010, 2:37 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by philvia View Post
i went here on opening day, and i was really disappointed. i felt a lot like i was in some high end barn yard. the fence is just wire tacked onto a heavy timber post... at first i was afraid to touch it because it looked like any electrical fence used to keep animals inside. the walkways alternate between granite steps and asphalt flat areas. the heavy timber poles with very industrial lights on them just add to the overall barnyard feeling.
for the most part it seemed very unpolished... NOTHING like the highline.
It's not intended to be the High Line, but even though it's open, even Pier 1 isn't completed (as you noted from some of the walkways). As it is now is not how it will be once it begins to mature into an actual park. But even as it is now, I think the photos speak for themselves. The people love it.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 4:09 PM
New Yorker for life

Sometimes you learn the hard way...

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...%28NY+Local%29
Parents urge officials to remove 'dangerous' metal climbing domes in new Brooklyn Bridge Park

With temps soaring, Melanie Simon, 64, reacts after touching metal dome at Brooklyn Bridge Park in DUMBO.

Kira Foley, 5, broke her nose and lost a tooth while playing on metal domes at Brooklyn Bridge Park

BY Jeff Wilkins and Elizabeth Hays
Thursday, April 8th 2010

Quote:
The sleek play equipment in a gleaming new Brooklyn waterfront park doesn't just get scorching hot, it's also treacherous.

Five-year-old Kira Foley broke her nose and knocked out a tooth on the controversial metal climbing domes in the new Brooklyn Bridge Park, just hours after it opened late last month.

"[The domes are] not safe," said Kira's dad, Robert Foley, 39, of Brooklyn, who fired off a letter March 23 demanding testing data showing the equipment is safe for kids. "They look innocuous, but they're really dangerous."

Foley said he is still awaiting a response from the Brooklyn Bridge Park Development Corp., which is building the swanky park at the foot of Old Fulton St. in DUMBO.

Instead, all he's gotten is a call from the park's insurance company telling him how to put in a claim.

"It's not a money issue," said Foley, whose family is covered by insurance. "I just want them removed."

The Daily News reported yesterday that parents are fuming over the new playground - designed by landscape architects Michael Van Valkenburgh Associates - because the metal domes get so hot on sunny days that kids cry when they touch them.

"Within five minutes of being here, [my daughter] burned her leg," said Jennifer Bollard, 37, a mom from New Jersey who traveled to check out the much-hyped park with her kids, Julie, 3, and Jonathan, 7.

After The News revealed the problem, officials erected temporary tents over the structures. But within hours, the sun had shifted so that the domes were once again hot.

"They should take them out and put in something like a jungle gym. Remember those?" said baby-sitter Kaitlyn Hammond, 25, who refused to let her 2-year-old charge, Amanda, near the orbs.

"It seems like they built this to fit in with the aesthetics of the neighborhood, not for the benefit of the kids," she said.

Van Valkenburgh designers declined to discuss the matter.

Park officials insisted that along with the tents, they had posted warning signs and said that young trees nearby would soon provide shade.

Critics said it's not enough.

"They should never have been installed in the first place," said Geoffrey Croft of New York City Park Advocates.

Assemblyman Micah Kellner (D-Manhattan), who wants all play equipment heat-tested, agreed: "It's better to rip out the equipment than have a child who is horribly scarred or injured."

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...ttraction.html
Parents fuming over Brooklyn's playground's 'hot' steel attraction

Domes of Brooklyn Bridge Park and letter (below) warning about them.

BY Elizabeth Hays
Wednesday, April 7th 2010

Quote:
Welcome to Brooklyn's hottest new playground.

Parents are fuming about the new playground in Brooklyn Bridge Park, which features metal climbing domes for kids that critics charge get scorching hot on sunny days.

"It's outrageous," said James Wagman, whose son, Matthew, 6, gasped the other day when he put his hands on one of the shiny structures placed in full sunlight. "My first reaction was, 'That's nutty. Why did they put that in a playground?'"

Julie Lundberg said her 20-month-old son Bode Bulhak burst into tears after he touched one.

"It was a pain cry," said Lundberg. "He was saying, 'Ouch, Ouch,' and his hands were all red," she added. "They need to fix it."

The steel domes are the main play equipment inside Brooklyn Bridge Park, which opened at the base of Old Fulton St. last month.

Park officials said they have hung signs warning parents to "exercise caution" on sunny days and insisted that several young trees planted near the domes "will supply shade in the coming weeks and alleviate this heat."

But critics said it was unlikely the small trees would provide enough shade any time soon - and worried the problem will get worse this summer.

"It's only April. Imagine what it's going to be like on a 90-degree day," said activist Geoffrey Croft from New York City Park Advocates, which has battled the city over too-hot black safety mats in playgrounds. "This equipment should be tested before it gets installed."

A joint Daily News and New York City Park Advocates investigation in 2008 found that black playground mats can top 165 degrees on hot days and cause scores of burns to kids each year.

Dr. Roger Yurt, director of New York-Presbyterian Hospital's burn center, said the park's metal play equipment could get even hotter.

"We know that the rubber mats are a problem. I would expect that steel in direct sunlight is even worse than what we've seen," said Yurt.

Parents wondered why the metal structures were installed in the first place.

"It's a pretty gross oversight," said Paul Catlett, 42, a tourist from Kentucky who visited with his son, Henry, 11. "Anybody who knows anything about steel knows it gets extremely hot with any kind of sustained exposure to sunlight."

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 5:45 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Sure makes it New York's hottest new park, literally.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 9:15 PM
TL;DR

I don't understand how something so reflective can be absorbing so much energy. Any physicists among us?

Also, how did that girl break her nose on a 2-foot-high dome? What a retard. Hopefully she's learned from her experience... She could have sustained the same injury on any one of thousands of playgrounds across America The other kids' 1st-degree burns are understandable, of course.

I suppose the problem could be solved with trees on the south, or by circulating water through the interior of the domes (the trees being the preferred solution).

Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 5:16 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I don't understand how something so reflective can be absorbing so much energy. Any physicists among us?

Also, how did that girl break her nose on a 2-foot-high dome? What a retard. Hopefully she's learned from her experience... She could have sustained the same injury on any one of thousands of playgrounds across America The other kids' 1st-degree burns are understandable, of course.

I suppose the problem could be solved with trees on the south, or by circulating water through the interior of the domes (the trees being the preferred solution).
I'm sure there will be some kids getting hurt at the much larger and extensive playground that will open in a few weeks further down in the park. Planners could have gone with a different design, or used a different material until the trees were mature enough to provide shade. That looks to be a least a few years off.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 2:43 PM
New Yorker for life

Ahh, to be a babe, in a swing, in a park, taking in the City...

Urch

Old Posted Apr 21, 2010, 1:31 AM
New Yorker for life

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2010/0...etime_soon.php

Play in Brooklyn Bridge Park's Pier 6 Sandbox Sometime Soon

Tuesday, April 20, 2010, by Sara

Quote:
Now that Brooklyn Bridge Park has put out some of the child-sized fires at newly-opened Pier 1, it's time to move on to the park's next feature. That would be the Sandbox Village and playground at Pier 6. A Brooklyn Heights Blog tipster sent in the above photos of the under-construction sandy sensation, scheduled to open this spring. Also coming to Pier 6: 10 kinds of swing sets, a water lab, a water channel, and a water-jet field. We're not sure what any of those are, but it sounds like they'll help prevent any more child crisping.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development