Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

130 North Franklin in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
please something over 1100 and not blue glass. This area of the Loop/skyline could use it
I’d like to see silver cladded building with gold/black fins and terracotta details

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 4:55 PM
devout Pizzatarian

is there anyone who's actually sad that this thing died on the vine?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 5:17 PM

I’d love to see JPMorgan Chase build a slender trophy skyscraper there with absurd floor to floor heights that push 1100’ to 1300’ tall

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 5:24 PM

They should build a supertall with similar configuration to 300 N Michigan (hotel + apartments). There aren't any worthwhile hotels in that immediate area, plus as UrbanDweller mentioned, Google adding 5k+ jobs will definitely spur the need of more high end housing. I have a feeling this permit expiring was a huge blessing in disguise.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 5:57 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
is there anyone who's actually sad that this thing died on the vine?
Yea something more creative than an exact clone of several existing buildings in the area would be great.

Is there still a chance Chase could get a hold this site? And if they did what are the odds they go mixed-use?

That could be pretty epic... no more blown opportunities hopefully.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 6:03 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post

Is there still a chance Chase could get a hold this site? And if they did what are the odds they go mixed-use?
quite low, i'd say.

large scale office/residential mixed-use towers haven't been built in chicago for over 30 years now.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 6:33 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
quite low, i'd say.

large scale office/residential mixed-use towers haven't been built in chicago for over 30 years now.
Aren't Vista and Trump mixed use? (Hotel/Residential)

Tribune East Tower is supposed to be mixed use as well, no?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 6:37 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Aren't Vista and Trump mixed use? (Hotel/Residential)
i specifically said "large scale office/residential mixed-use".

Chase is not going to develop the piece of land in question into a hotel/condo tower.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 6:45 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
i specifically said "large scale office/residential mixed-use".

Chase is not going to develop the piece of land in question into a hotel/condo tower.
Missed that, my bad.

I just fear that a pure office tower wouldn't top 900 or so feet. 1,100+ would be a better height for this parcel.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 7:06 PM

A friend of mine who works in the area that finances major projects for Chase told me he keeps hearing chatter from his higher ups regarding a replacement Chase tower. Who knows how true that is and whether it would be here but its nice to dream!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 7:07 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:

I just fear that a pure office tower wouldn't top 900 or so feet. 1,100+ would be a better height for this parcel.
Yeah, a pure office tower most likely wouldn't, unless it has some egregious cheater spire or other such decorative rooftop adornment.

In the entire history of Chicago, there have only been two office towers built with occupiable height above 900', Sears and Aon, and they're both now nearing a half-century old.

I wouldn't bet on a third happening anytime soon. Not if the past is anything to go on....

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 7:14 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Yeah, a pure office tower most likely wouldn't, unless it has some egregious cheater spire or other such decorative rooftop adornment.

In the entire history of Chicago, there have only been two office towers built with occupiable height above 900', Sears and Aon, and they're both now nearing a half-century old.

I wouldn't place any bets on a third happening anytime soon. Not if the past is anything to go on....
You never know though, it's easier to build very tall buildings with modern technology. Maybe we're overdo.

Philly and SF managed to pull it off relatively recently. Cheating spires are dumb but decorative rooftop adornments are okay I guess.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Missed that, my bad.

If you look at the committee on design review files for 655 W Madison there was a proposed design from 2021 for a 971' tower on the site before they shifted to the current, shorter dual tower plan.

It lines up with this GM Today article from 2021 which stated that the John Buck Company pitched the site to JPMorgan. Suffice to say that if JPMorgan does build a new tower it will be a supertall or near supertall.

https://www.gmtoday.com/business/cha...dda6db455.html

Last edited by UrbanDweller98; Oct 11, 2022 at 7:38 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 7:46 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Philly and SF managed to pull it off relatively recently.
and they were both for hometown HQ trophy towers (comcast & salesforce, respectively).

if you wanna clue as to what kinda building chase might occupy in chicago, look at the building that salesforce is putting their name on.

If chase does anchor a new tower in chicago, i will be quite surprised if it has occupiable height above 900'.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 2:40 PM

Quote:
and they were both for hometown HQ trophy towers (comcast & salesforce, respectively).

if you wanna clue as to what kinda building chase might occupy in chicago, look at the building that salesforce is putting their name on.

If chase does anchor a new tower in chicago, i will be quite surprised if it has occupiable height above 900'.
I might be mistaking, but isnt Chase Banking HQ'ed in Chicago? with parent company JP Morgan Chase being in NY?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 5:52 PM
DENNAB

^ Chase is HQ'd in NYC I believe

Quote:

Salesforce isn't Chase though, but you may be right. The article in the post before yours does give me a little hope though.

I'm not sure if it'll end up exactly 1m SF like the article says or if they'll go for more. Salesforce's Tower in SF is 1.4m SF for reference.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 5:59 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
^ Chase is HQ'd in NYC I believe
Chase's north american commercial and retail banking operations are technically HQ'ed in chicago, but it's not the same thing at all as the alpha-dog HQ of the whole damn company located in NYC, which has always steered the overall ship.

Quote:
Salesforce's Tower in SF is 1.4m SF for reference.
and salesforce's tower in chicago is 1.6M SF

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 7:50 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Chase's north american commercial and retail banking operations are technically HQ'ed in chicago, but it's not the same thing at all as the alpha-dog HQ of the whole damn company located in NYC, which has always steered the overall ship.
I see, you'd think that they'd still want something more elegant in Chicago then. Maybe not to the extent of their NYC tower, but a landmark nonetheless.

Quote:
and salesforce's tower in chicago is 1.6M SF
Yea, I think the footprint of this site is a bit smaller though, couple that with the fact that Chase may hopefully build super high trading floors and bam, 1k+ foot building. Chase has much deeper pockets than Salesforce (and Comcast for that matter).

I'm assuming it's just a rumor that they're building an office tower in Chicago though, nothing concrete yet?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 8:01 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
I see, you'd think that they'd still want something more elegant in Chicago then. Maybe not to the extent of their NYC tower, but a landmark nonetheless.
they already have a very elegant landmark tower in chicago that the rumor mill says they're looking to move out of.

Source: https://www.skyscrapercenter.com/bui...hase-tower/779

i doubt any new tower chase might occupy will be substantially taller than their current chicago home.

Quote:
I'm assuming it's just a rumor that they're building an office tower in Chicago though, nothing concrete yet?
just a technical correction, but Chase almost certainly won't build a new chicago tower themselves.

they'll partner with a local developer on a new office tower development and then anchor that new tower, just as BofA and BMO did.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 12, 2022 at 8:17 PM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 11:52 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
they already have a very elegant landmark tower in chicago that the rumor mill says they're looking to move out of.
Well, "elegant" is subjective I guess, something more elegant than that for a company like Chase.

Quote:
i doubt any new tower chase might occupy will be substantially taller than their current chicago home.
That's sad if true. I remember when it was rumored to be 98 stories, not sure how that started but that doesn't sound likely. Especially if it'll only be around 1m SF.

Hopefully the design is at least amazing and it isn't some blue box.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals