HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 4:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Even something like that would still be the better part of a mid-sized Exchange building like the Bedford. It would be nice to see them take up an underused building like one of the old warehouses on McDermot... specifically one of the ones that Hydro wanted to gut and turn into a substation a few years back. That would be great.

Anyway, the articles/releases I've seen don't mention a site so I guess there's nothing lined up yet?
Someone knows something

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
The Bay please.
Not a chance Ubisoft moves into The Bay building. The floor plate is too large for what they need even if you get past the near complete lack of windows in would require.

My bet is on 201 Portage Ave. It is close enough to the Exchange to get those benefits while being a modern place with all the renovations. It is also a place Ubisoft could easily grow in if they go from the rumored headcount of about 30 to start to 100+. Some of the Exchange sites might work well to start but be quickly outgrown. Heck 201 Portage might even be willing to give them a small space to start with an option on more space later if they want giving them the best of both sides.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 11:56 PM
What could go wrong?

After hearing this, it got me wondering if this is not the rumoured tech business I mentioned a few months back sniffing around the Exchange looking to build 20,000 sq ft of space. Would make sense.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 12:02 AM
BANNED

Bodegoes site??

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
After hearing this, it got me wondering if this is not the rumoured tech business I mentioned a few months back sniffing around the Exchange looking to build 20,000 sq ft of space. Would make sense.
The press release says the office is to open in the fall 2018. I suppose they could always lease a space while they build their own.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 1:30 AM

If there is a strong connection to France and to Montreal I wonder if the would rehab an old building in st b?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 2:54 AM
BANNED

I was just informed they are still looking, but the exchange is their first choice.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Whoa...that's huge news! Had no idea Winnipeg was on Ubisofts radar
There’s actually several established gaming and animation companies based here. There’s one animation studio that quietly does work for major movies like Star Wars and other Disney/Pixar properties.

There’s also quite a large tech journalism base here. Mobile Nations has a huge team here, few TechCrunch people as well. Medium’s gaming editor and and lead contributor both live here as well.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 1:28 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post
The press release says the office is to open in the fall 2018. I suppose they could always lease a space while they build their own.

...I looked into it further and it was in fact Ubisoft that was looking for space in the exchange. Obviously they cant have a building built in 2018 but hopefully they can find a surface lot to fill in.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 5:39 PM

That would be amazing if they actually built new - although you would think there would be something in the Exchange they could convert.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
That would be amazing if they actually built new - although you would think there would be something in the Exchange they could convert.
Yeah. New buildings are fun but it would also be nice to see a somewhat underused building get renovated and shined up. A tenant like Ubisoft could secure the long term future of a building like one of these ones on McDermot:

Although then again, who knows if they're all that interested in the Exchange District. It's not like that's the only place in town for a company like that to set up... but it would be a bit of a downer if they ended up building new out by, say, the former Target Store in St. James.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
There’s also quite a large tech journalism base here. Mobile Nations has a huge team here, few TechCrunch people as well. Medium’s gaming editor and and lead contributor both live here as well.
My understanding is that Mobile Nations does not really have an office space with their staff mostly working "from home". It wouldn't be surprising if the other tech journalism people are similar.

Mobile Nations of course was founded by someone from the Gimli area.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 7:14 PM
BANNED

I have always loved that stretch Esquire; looks like Brooklyn. I would love to see all those upper floors converted to apartments and condos.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 2:03 PM

More on the Ubisoft story from Economic Development Winnipeg.

http://newsroom.edwinnipeg.com/read,...ed-in-winnipeg

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 6:07 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i would think the old reise furs building would have ahigher chance of ubi soft renting it then 290 mcdermot as its allready got 10gig fiber availble to it

or upper floors of richlus building on adelaid

witch both has direct lines back to huricane eletrics fiber and all the cariers in the grain exchange that feed out to the world

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 6:12 PM
Ignore these four words.

52 Albert (the Gregg Building) is for sale. I think that would be a great spot for Ubisoft.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 3:00 PM

Doesn't sound like things are going great for Neechi. Hopefully they will find a way to survive and thrive.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...479481053.html

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 3:12 PM

^ I hate to say it, but Neechi in its current form is rooted in idealism more than it is in sound business principles. They had a good thing going with the old location but their new location has turned things into a constant struggle just to survive.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Doesn't sound like things are going great for Neechi. Hopefully they will find a way to survive and thrive.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...479481053.html
i was in there the other day because I like to support them. sorry to see the restaurant was closed and the shelves are a little bare. I hope they get a business model in place that will allow them to move forward. I like the building and parking is great.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 8:15 PM

building and parking is great but I also popped in there the other day (have only once before) as i was passing by and couldn't believe how bare the shelves are. perogies were cheemo and 1.5 x's the cost of superstore

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan