HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 3:58 PM

Canadians should modernize their logo in my opinion.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
If they want it to be a CanadInns so badly, then why not just change it over from Radisson??
Could be a contractual restriction on when they can drop the Radisson affiliation. The logo could also be a play in affiliation renewal as that would leave Radisson without a property is downtown Winnipeg and none available that they could easily rebrand unless they were willing to move back to the Malbourgh again.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 4:57 PM

Not sure if I mentioned this, but I think it's been discussed. Canad Inns brand is extremely local. I had someone in from Toronto for business a month or two ago. Their hotel reservation fell through and needed to find somewhere else at midnight. They ended up at the Cavalier on Nairn. The shitty Cavalier!! lol I laughed so hard when they told me.

They had never heard of Canad Inns.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Could be a contractual restriction on when they can drop the Radisson affiliation. The logo could also be a play in affiliation renewal as that would leave Radisson without a property is downtown Winnipeg and none available that they could easily rebrand unless they were willing to move back to the Malbourgh again.
Nitpick: The Marlborough was never a Radisson... it was a Ramada before which may be what you're thinking of.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Not sure if I mentioned this, but I think it's been discussed. Canad Inns brand is extremely local. I had someone in from Toronto for business a month or two ago. Their hotel reservation fell through and needed to find somewhere else at midnight. They ended up at the Cavalier on Nairn. The shitty Cavalier!! lol I laughed so hard when they told me.

They had never heard of Canad Inns.
It is a super-local brand but in fairness most cities have local hotel brands that are not very well known outside that region.

And CanadInns could have higher recognition than normal especially through Western Canada because of the naming rights they had to the old stadium. They got it for a steal of a deal as I recall, something like a hundred grand for a decade. Being one of the early adopters paid off for them.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 5:29 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Nitpick: The Marlborough was never a Radisson... it was a Ramada before which may be what you're thinking of.
It was a Delta before that, but not a Radisson.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
It was a Delta before that, but not a Radisson.
The Canadians/ Radisson was also a Delta.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 5:25 AM

Here is a good history of the NorthStar/Delta/Radisson at 288 Portage:

http://winnipegdowntownplaces.blogsp...son-hotel.html

While it was originally built by a group including Famous Players (theatres) it quickly became CP Hotels' replacement for the Royal Alex. Of course CP Hotels eventually replaced it with what was briefly the Lombard (former Westin, now Fairmont).

I am sure a few people were confused about their "Radisson" destination when the downtown location coexisted with Lakeview's Radisson on Wellington (now the Hilton).

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 5:38 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure how long this has been going on, but CanadInns is projecting a giant CanadInns logo at night on the side of the downtown Radisson... looks pretty tacky if you ask me.

If they want it to be a CanadInns so badly, then why not just change it over from Radisson??
Funny you mentioned that, I took a photo earlier this week thinking "just when you thought the Radisson couldn't get any uglier.."

But yeah at this point it's so clear they just want it to be a CanadInns, there's CI logos everywhere inside, they painted the awnings awful red, this projection now. It's also hideous and outdated inside, just how CI likes it. If I'm Radisson corporate I'd just let them out of the contract and switch – wouldn't want that hole with my brand on it anyway.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 5:56 PM

They should at least form a synergy with a more reputable western brand like Canalta hotels or something to up their recognition and their logo which says very very little of their current branding *YUCK*. Everything this company does screams cheap and half-assed. Going through the club regent hotel is like walking through a low budget, late 1990's movie!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 6:00 PM

Great news for the tech hub in the exchange.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...501161341.html

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 6:51 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Great news for the tech hub in the exchange.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...501161341.html
Of course! Winnipeg it's one of the top markets now

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 7:29 PM

We're becoming known as a tech hub, but the city and province can't figure out they should work together with one of the largest bus manufacturers, based here, to get more electric busses on the road. Even more laughable considering the giant (stupid) investment we just made in hydro power, and Manitoba Hydro's woes.

Only our government complains about the state Hydro is in, while cutting incentives for people to buy cars that would run on said electricity. Wild.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
It's also hideous and outdated inside, just how CI likes it.

It's so funny because it's so true.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 7:13 PM

Quote:

It's so funny because it's so true.
Didnt they try to brand as CanadA Inns but there was already something similar? So they created the very confusing logo which people unfamiliar with the name assume reads Canada Inns (as opposed to CANAD).

I worked for them when the switch over took place and most of the staff thought it was a pretty stupid name. I had a lot of fun working there, but in very little thanks to corporate management who were often clueless about most things that actually happened at the street level. Fun place though!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 9:55 PM

Is that projection legal? They city didn't take long to take action to shutdown / remove the large lit sign on the west side of the Boyd Building a few years ago.

Granted that one went up with no permit but then I didn't see any hearings about the one for Canad Inns /Delta either.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 9:59 PM

Did they buy the Somerset building just so they could project an awful tacky giant logo from its roof?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
Did they buy the Somerset building just so they could project an awful tacky giant logo from its roof?
Knowing how brutal they are, and agreeing with the above comment on management being wholly disconnected from the actual operations – wouldn't shock me at all.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
Apparently CanadInns was leasing a couple of floors in Somerset for their corporate offices. Guess an offer came their way to get the whole building and be taking in rent rather than paying it out.

The scary thing is they have very quietly gone about assembling ownership over a number of properties in what is one of the most prime blocks in downtown Winnipeg. The property owners on the west side of Smith should be tending big dollar sales bids to them now.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 10:17 PM

This ongoing discussion about CanadInns is almost as depressing as any ongoing discussion about Sals.

Let's be better.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan