HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 7:36 AM

This is not about me. This is about the City of Edmonton spending over $4,000,000,000 on a new LRT line to get people into and out of downtown, then discouraging people from actually using it.

A real core renewal plan would continue to expand the program of narrowing and closing roads to traffic across downtown and into the communities that ring the core, in order to transfer public lands from private polluting cars to people.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-machiavelli View Post
This is not about me. This is about the City of Edmonton spending over $4,000,000,000 on a new LRT line to get people into and out of downtown, then discouraging people from actually using it.

A real core renewal plan would continue to expand the program of narrowing and closing roads to traffic across downtown and into the communities that ring the core, in order to transfer public lands from private polluting cars to people.
When you exit utopia, join us in reality.
As cars transition to electric they'll be even more difficult to argue against.
Roads aren't going any where.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhatdan View Post
You are arguing with someone who thinks people should cycle between Edmonton and California instead of flying.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhatdan View Post
When you enter reality, you will realize power cost spikes from increasingly extreme and frequent climate events will drive up power costs and make owning and using electric vehicles even more expensive than they are now.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 10:30 PM

Quote:
When you enter reality, you will realize power cost spikes from increasingly extreme and frequent climate events will drive up power costs and make owning and using electric vehicles even more expensive than they are now.
all of which may reduce the use of privately owned vehicles but which will do little to reduce the need for roads including transit (buses, taxis, uber, pool cars etc.), garbage pickup, emergency services (police, fire, ambulance), construction and renovation, utilities and utility servicing, deliveries, school buses, etc. in reality, how the vehicles are powered or owned or counted may impact intensity of use but are unlikely to impact necessity in a functional city.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Here?

No, the grid here is one of the most resilient in North America because of the wide variety of weather we see and is only getting more robust moving from slow ramping baseload coal fired generation to fast ramping baseload/peaking gas turbine/combine cycle plants to back the expanding renewable portfolio.

It's also seen significant transmission investment between major centers.

Keep going though, I like the creativity.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 1:56 PM
Community Guy

'Ward 12 councillor Moe Banga has announced he will seek re-election in the upcoming municipal election in Ward Sspomitapi.'

I have always had friendly interactions with Councillor Banga, but was hoping that he might step aside for some new blood. Moe has a lot of experience in certain areas, but I often find his questions indicative of someone who has not prepared for a meeting/issue or read the material before hand.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 5:54 PM

Watch & listen to this live interview

https://www.albertaimpact.ca/cheryll...oral-candidate

Old Posted May 2, 2021, 12:07 AM

Mike Nickel supporter Kerry Diotte is a racist idiot

https://twitter.com/allenjdustin/sta...14071460245505

Something else to keep in mind come October.

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
Watch & listen to this live interview

https://www.albertaimpact.ca/cheryll...oral-candidate
While she has some good ideas, they're kind of snoozers. She seems like a policy wonk focused on process. What about her big project ideas to help Edmonton become more equitable, sustainable, resilient, and friendly?

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 5:02 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
Mike Nickel supporter Kerry Diotte is a racist idiot

https://twitter.com/allenjdustin/sta...14071460245505

Something else to keep in mind come October.
And water is wet. He's also supported known Neo Nazis

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 5:08 PM

I should emphasize that Diotte is a supporter of mayoralty candidate Mike Nickel.

I can't help but wonder if they share more than "City Council should be nothing more than a pothole repair service" diatribes.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 5:34 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 2:42 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Great news if true. His combination of previous Council experience and Federal cabinet experience would be unmatched among the current group of candidates.

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 3:03 PM

Lots of debate here regarding the proposed Gondola. Obviously I could be completely wrong on this, but personally I was glad to see some councilors vote no for the Gondola proposal. Regardless what you do to "beautify it" It is going to be ugly. Huge poles and cables will do absolutely nothing for the aesthetic of the river valley. Secondly, I feel it will be a novelty for the first couple of years, and then ridership will die off. It will eventually become unprofitable, and it will sit there rusting for years until the city finally decides what to do with it.

The city would be much better off trying to create a private/public partnership to build a pedestrian/bike bridge, which fits much better with the city's branding. It could contain entertainment and park spaces, and even a café of some type.

I would love to see something similar to below

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina Boi View Post
Lots of debate here regarding the proposed Gondola. Obviously I could be completely wrong on this, but personally I was glad to see some councilors vote no for the Gondola proposal. Regardless what you do to "beautify it" It is going to be ugly. Huge poles and cables will do absolutely nothing for the aesthetic of the river valley. Secondly, I feel it will be a novelty for the first couple of years, and then ridership will die off. It will eventually become unprofitable, and it will sit there rusting for years until the city finally decides what to do with it.

The city would be much better off trying to create a private/public partnership to build a pedestrian/bike bridge, which fits much better with the city's branding. It could contain entertainment and park spaces, and even a café of some type.

I would love to see something similar to below
Huh? I have almost no idea what you are getting at here. A novelty that will eventually become unprofitable that will sit rusted for years until the city does something with it? What is your basis for this "feeling"? The purpose of this is it is a privately run gondola that has presented a business plan to the city that will also link with ETS to transport transit riders across the river valley as another option instead of taking the bus, for example. Additionally, with development in areas such as the Rossdale power plant, people can take the gondola to what will be home to a brewery, cafes, etc. in the hopefully not so distant future.

To propose that the city, which has nothing to do with the development and operations of the gondola, instead work to build a pedestrian bike bridge has almost nothing at all to do the gondola itself. Is the city suppose to build a pedestrian transit bridge that spans from Whyte ave to the Mac, the same distance as the gondola? Now the city is to be spending money on a bridge even though with the gondola the city is not spending any. You also do realize the city just built a pedestrian cycling bridge, the Walterdale, that is heavily used and enjoyed that fits very well with the city's branding?

I realize my response is heavy handed but your baseless post with almost no thought or research in it while proposing the city partner to build something it just built in the same spot as the intended gondola that is very much enjoyed is the exact type of thinking (or not thinking) that shoots down great ideas like the gondola. Holy smokes Mike Nickel is that you?

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBL View Post
Huh? I have almost no idea what you are getting at here. A novelty that will eventually become unprofitable that will sit rusted for years until the city does something with it? What is your basis for this "feeling"? The purpose of this is it is a privately run gondola that has presented a business plan to the city that will also link with ETS to transport transit riders across the river valley as another option instead of taking the bus, for example. Additionally, with development in areas such as the Rossdale power plant, people can take the gondola to what will be home to a brewery, cafes, etc. in the hopefully not so distant future.

To propose that the city, which has nothing to do with the development and operations of the gondola, instead work to build a pedestrian bike bridge has almost nothing at all to do the gondola itself. Is the city suppose to build a pedestrian transit bridge that spans from Whyte ave to the Mac, the same distance as the gondola? Now the city is to be spending money on a bridge even though with the gondola the city is not spending any. You also do realize the city just built a pedestrian cycling bridge, the Walterdale, that is heavily used and enjoyed that fits very well with the city's branding?

I realize my response is heavy handed but your baseless post with almost no thought or research in it while proposing the city partner to build something it just built in the same spot as the intended gondola that is very much enjoyed is the exact type of thinking (or not thinking) that shoots down great ideas like the gondola. Holy smokes Mike Nickel is that you?
I think maybe you need to chill out a bit and take a deep breath. It was just my humble opinion. Personally the last thing I want to do when it's minus 35 is get off a bus and hop on a carnival ride, when I could simply take a bus across one of the bridges and or the lrt.

So much of respectful and open debate on this thread. I will keep my thoughts and views to myself going forward.

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBL View Post
Holy smokes Mike Nickel is that you?
No, because Mike Nickel dislikes any transportation options except for cars.

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina Boi View Post
I think maybe you need to chill out a bit and take a deep breath. It was just my humble opinion. Personally the last thing I want to do when it's minus 35 is get off a bus and hop on a carnival ride, when I could simply take a bus across one of the bridges and or the lrt.

So much of respectful and open debate on this thread. I will keep my thoughts and views to myself going forward.
Everyone is absolutely welcome to their opinion as is it an open forum, but confusing opinion with "a feeling" that this will sit and rust leaving the city to deal with it is not an opinion, it's a baseless statement not supported by what sounds like any background research that you are stretching to denounce a project that has a lot more resources at its disposal than you or I know. To better inform your opinion, I encourage you to read the articles over the past several years of what Prairie Sky is doing and how they plan to make this to work, how their revenue model will work, as well as do some research on what is planned for development in Rossdale (ie Breweries, cafes, etc.), then perhaps you will understand that it is much more than a carnival ride.

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 4:54 PM

[QUOTE=CaptainBL;9272824]Everyone is absolutely welcome to their opinion as is it an open forum, but confusing opinion with "a feeling" that this will sit and rust leaving the city to deal with it is not an opinion, it's a baseless statement not supported by what sounds like any background research that you are stretching to denounce a project that has a lot more resources at its disposal than you or I know. To better inform your opinion, I encourage you to read the articles over the past several years of what Prairie Sky is doing and how they plan to make this to work, how their revenue model will work, as well as do some research on what is planned for development in Rossdale (ie Breweries, cafes, etc.), then perhaps you will understand that it is much more than a carnival ride.[/QUOTE

Instead of name calling and essentially calling me out for being "stupid", how about you take the time to educate and share information. Probably would be a better approach. But you do you.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton