HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 6:14 PM

Next option would be to bump it out to near Symington Road, just west of Grand Prix.

The option that is shown in the TMP is that Bishop just runs eastward and connects with Fermor. But that becomes complex because the railway is right there when you get out to Murdoch Road. The Symington Yard pullback tracks extend all the way to there. So would need a larger rail overpass and likely realign Fermor in that area.

Any options will be complex.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
Proposed intersection improvements for Deacon's Corner (PTH 1 & PR 207)
Not proposed. Already started.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 9:56 PM

Perhaps a trumpet might be more suitable for the Bishop/Plessis/Fermor Interchange?

I’m not 100% on the West and South connections, it depends on if there will be any significant development in the area.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 1:05 AM
Back from the dead

As much as that seems feasible, I'm pretty sure (based on the city's transportation network plan map) that the plan is to extend Bishop out more east and only a little north.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Not proposed. Already started.
I thought it had started aswell, but I drove through Deacon's corner this evening and noticed that all of the construction pylons and signage had been taken down and removed from the site, to add to my confusion these drawings are from a tender that was issued the other day for the intersection improvements. So I honestly don't know what is going on at this point.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 4:32 AM

So I was looking at google maps to see how MB could get out of the traffic lights business on the TCH. At Virden MTC could build a interchange west of the town (83 junction?) with minimal disruption of traffic. Then close the intersection in town and improve the access roads on either side of the TCH.
Would that be feasible?

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 10:08 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
So I was looking at google maps to see how MB could get out of the traffic lights business on the TCH. At Virden MTC could build a interchange west of the town (83 junction?) with minimal disruption of traffic. Then close the intersection in town and improve the access roads on either side of the TCH.
Would that be feasible?
I think it possible to just replace the light in Virden with an interchange.
Shift the WB lanes a bit to the north, build the WB overhead, then convert the temporary WB lanes to on- and off-ramps. Then do the same with EB ramps. Paved the median and add the barrier through the town. The same goes for Brandon and Elie.
As for Deacon’s corner, follow bomberjet’s drawing, not mine.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 12:08 PM

I could have sworn we once saw a plan for Virden posted here showing an interchange or two but I can't remember any of the details.

Just eyeballing it on Google Maps it looks to me like there is enough room for a diamond interchange at the main TCH and King St. intersection. I'm sure a few adjoining properties would have to be expropriated and maybe a couple of service road relocations would be involved, but I'm not sure that you'd even have to demolish anything maybe except for the auto body.

You build that and you're probably good for another 20 years with the traffic levels out there being as they are.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 2:29 PM

Nice plan Kaimonmok! I was/am still hoping they can connect that to the north with Plessis could carry it straight up Symington road from there. But I like what you have there for getting Bishop Connected to Fermor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
As much as that seems feasible, I'm pretty sure (based on the city's transportation network plan map) that the plan is to extend Bishop out more east and only a little north.
That's what we're getting at. That plan is not the most feasible either. The TMP from 2011 shows it running basically straight east out to somewhere around Murdoch road. There's nowhere for a highway to connect over there. I suppose there is the triangle of land north of Fermor at Navin/Murdoch roads. Could do a trumpet there with a rail overpass.

The TMP also notes it doesn't really get into the details of the routes. Just overall concepts. The City was supposed to be doing a ring road study, but put that on hold.

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimonmok View Post
Perhaps a trumpet might be more suitable for the Bishop/Plessis/Fermor Interchange?

I’m not 100% on the West and South connections, it depends on if there will be any significant development in the area.
I always thought they were letting that intersection deteriorate to build an intersection there. It made perfect sense.

Edit: I meant for deacons corner!

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
I thought it had started aswell, but I drove through Deacon's corner this evening and noticed that all of the construction pylons and signage had been taken down and removed from the site, to add to my confusion these drawings are from a tender that was issued the other day for the intersection improvements. So I honestly don't know what is going on at this point.
Well, the rail crossing has been prepared, and culverts have been done on the north side. Guess it may be a while before we see full blown construction.

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Well, the rail crossing has been prepared, and culverts have been done on the north side. Guess it may be a while before we see full blown construction.
Construction can’t come soon enough. That stretch of number 1 is just treacherous.. such bad road condition.

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
Construction can’t come soon enough. That stretch of number 1 is just treacherous.. such bad road condition.
It's been worse. Been my daily commute for almost 7 years.

Old Posted May 9, 2021, 5:23 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalne...airie-man/amp/
(From 5 days ago) I wonder what’s the story behind this.

Old Posted May 9, 2021, 7:45 PM

Quote:
I wonder if this work was part of the work that Canadian Railroads are required to have done by Nov 28 2021 to upgrade crossings.

City of Winnipeg had a consultant do a study a little while ago and there are a number of crossings that need work to meet the new standards too. Some changes are billed to the city and some to the railroads.

I don't know if MIT had an equivalent study done for non Winnipeg Crossings?

Old Posted May 9, 2021, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I wonder if this work was part of the work that Canadian Railroads are required to have done by Nov 28 2021 to upgrade crossings.
The work done was only preparation for the extra width of the road crossing with the upcoming intersection work. Currently there are 2 lanes and that's being upgraded to 4 lanes and a median. The height of the rails is now higher as well. People with low cars have been scraping the tracks going across.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 4:23 PM

Feel free to give some constructive criticism, not sure how functional this is because I couldn't decide how to go about doing the service roads on the north side of the #1. IMO better than a roundabout.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 4:25 PM

^ OK, but if anything you should make the TCH jog south instead of north to clear the CN mainline that runs parallel to the highway.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 4:35 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Particularly, a northerly realignment also introduces a reverse curve (or S-curve) on TCH, which is generally to be avoided (especially on a new build).
Let’s see a southerly alignment instead. Also, flyover from 16 S to 1 E, anyone?

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 4:36 PM

I'll have to dig out the functional design that was done at 1 and 16 years ago. I think they went with a trumpet in the end, but was set-up a bit different. I also think the Petro would be demolished.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan