HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 5:50 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ hmm, i hear you, but call me old skool -- i am quite happy with the unisphere we already have.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
I wish we could get something like the Sphere somewhere in NY. Saw the B1M video on it and read some stuff and it seems really cool
That monstrosity is incredibly tacky.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK1985 View Post
That monstrosity is incredibly tacky.
I would hope that the structure isn't sticky.

lol but for real, I highly disagree.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 8:30 PM
New Yorker for life

Speaking of the Las Vegas MSG, I took some photos of it recently, and it oddly feels like a connection to what's going on at 2 Penn....

Anyway, Vornado has some updates on the website.....

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 10:16 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: Tectonic

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 11:14 PM
I like Skyscrapers 🏙

Kind of weird to change an iconic skyscraper.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 11:38 PM
Show me the blueprints

Iconic? Is that a joke?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Oct 31, 2021, 2:02 AM

Well it does sit on top of Penn Station and is neighbor to MSG. So iconic yes, pretty, absolutely not.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 2:01 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 7:42 AM

I like the transformation. It brings it into the 21st century.
Are the old windows removed, or are the new windows like an extra layer on the building?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 11:35 AM
I like Skyscrapers 🏙

Quote:
Originally Posted by GertElim View Post
I like the transformation. It brings it into the 21st century.
Are the old windows removed, or are the new windows like an extra layer on the building?
They’re removing dark parts of the old layer and replace it with new layers, giving it a fresh new look.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 12:10 PM
New Yorker for life

The windows are removed. It’s interesting watching Vornado do basically tge same thing at Penn and at 666 5th Avenue.

https://www.fool.com/amp/earnings/ca...ings-call-tra/

Quote:
VNO earnings call
November 3, 2021

Steven Roth -- Chairman and Chief Executive Officer

…..New York has clearly emerged as the second-largest and second most important tech hub in the country. Our activities in the Penn District are full steam ahead, here's the latest. At Farley, we are targeting opening The Fuller hall on the Ninth Avenue entrance by year end. Facebook's tenant work is proceeding with first employee occupancy scheduled for second quarter 2022.

At the Moynihan Train Hall, we have completed 22 retail leases. We are gratified and validated that Starbucks reports that its Moynihan -- its new Moynihan store is trending No. 1 out of its 190 Manhattan locations. In Penn Station, our Long Island Rail Road Concourse construction is about one-third complete.

We will now own both sides of this heavily traffic concourse. It will be a big win for us. The 34th Street, half of the PENN1 lobby is open and it is spectacular. Come take a look.

Our unique three-level, world-class amenity offering will open shortly, and the other half of the PENN1 lobby which fronts our 33rd Street will be completed end of first quarter 2022. At PENN2, our full building transformation is well underway, on schedule, and on budget. The job is largely bought out.

The demolition of Hotel Penn will begin this month, creating the best development site in the city.
Quote:
Both office and retail tenant interest is high the Penn District with multiple large office users now focused on PENN2. Let me review again our Penn District financing plan. Capital required to complete Farley PENN1 and PENN2 is about $1 billion before TIs and that will be paid for entirely from our cash on balance sheet. Further, Farley, PENN1, and PENN2 are free and clear, unencumbered by any mortgage debt whatsoever.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 6:00 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Well, it's an ugly recladding.....I only say that because I find sheer walls of glass rather ugly and bland. Not that the existing architecture is all that great, but it atleast has texture....masonry.

Just my opinion.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2021, 1:42 AM
New Yorker for life

https://www.mdeas.com/penn2

NOVEMBER 3, 2021

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 6, 2021 at 1:55 AM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 6:05 PM
New Yorker for life

Believe there’s a crane going up on site.

https://www.crainsnewyork.com/commer...-penn-district

Madison Square Garden doubles down on Penn District

NATALIE SACHMECHI
Nov 15, 2021

Quote:
Madison Square Garden Entertainment has inked a deal for a 428,000-square-foot headquarters at Penn 2 as local lawmakers consider relocating its eponymous entertainment complex to make way for a redeveloped Penn Station.

The 20-year deal will keep the company at the site where it currently has offices while Vornado Realty Trust redevelops the office building to a Class A tower. The real estate investment trust owns 10 million square feet in the Penn District.

As part of the transformation of the area, Vornado is redeveloping several office buildings, including the Farley Building, where Facebook has leased space, and Penn 1 as well as demolishing the Hotel Pennsylvania to build office tower Penn 15. The Penn 2 redevelopment will include a new entrance to Madison Square Garden when completed in 2023.
Quote:
MSG’s lease for the sports and music venue expires in 2023, when its special permit runs out, but it’s not certain whether the City Council will renew it. The permit was granted for 10 years in 2013 so Madison Square Garden’s owner could find it a new home.

Earlier this month Gov. Kathy Hochul announced modified plans for the Penn Station redevelopment that keep the arena where it is but require its Hulu Theater to be demolished. The proposal also calls for MSG to have a new entrance on Eighth Avenue across from Moynihan Train Hall.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 2:01 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 5:50 PM

Seems like rather slow progress since November 3rd.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 3:45 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drcastro View Post
Seems like rather slow progress since November 3rd.
It has been slow, but there’s a lot going on around it. I’m waiting to see the podium take shape.

FEBRUARY 1, 2022

Old Posted Feb 22, 2022, 3:46 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-t...ings-call-tra/

Quote:
Steven Roth -- Chairman and Chief Executive Officer

At PENN2, we are, give or take, 25% into construction. Our construction operations in the Penn District span three full blocks, 31st Street to 34th Street along the west side of Seventh Avenue. In a few short months, everything in our Penn District will be -- will come to life, as shiny modern curtain wall continues to be erected on the PENN2 facades as steel is erected giving shape to the massive two-block long bustle, an architectural statement and scale and substance that will announce the entrance to Pennsylvania Station, Madison Square Garden and our office building. And as the Hotel Penn across the street begins to come down, daylighting that unique site.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 1:09 AM

“daylighting that unique site”
Interesting spin on the demolition, to be replaced by a supertall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction