HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 2:03 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

Cities Skylines Flooded City

Video Link

Cities : Skylines *EXCLUSIVE* : Rail Transport Gameplay

Video Link

Cities : Skylines *EXCLUSIVE* : Pierce Uses 2 Different Train Lines To Commute Home

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 12:41 AM
FUS RO DAH!

Cities Skylines is getting very good reviews all over the specialized press, most saying THIS is what Sim City should had been 2 years ago.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 12:58 AM
Bah!

After my Sim City 4 got stolen along with other things in my home and I never got into it again. I should get this one, it looks great.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 2:16 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Played a little of it at a friends house today, and its amazing. Steam workshop shows so much potential. Already 13 pages of mods. Plays very similar to SC4. Neat thing is that every car and pedestrian has a purpose, so if you click on someone, it shows where they live, their workplace, and so on.

The physics is pretty neat. Every car has physics too along with water sewage flow, trees, and so on. Worth getting on steam for $30. Gonna get it this weekend.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 5:01 AM

Played it a bit tonight. For one, I'm impressed with the whole simulation experience. There's a lot more depth and control over what happens. Really, really love making roads, freeways and bridges. I spent about 3 hours creating a skyway over an industrial section with rail depots, and cool internchanges.

Great in most categories except building design. Cartoonish and kind of blown out in the contrast. I get that it will probably get changed to our standards of what was put up on simtropolis for sc4 by mods, but at least color tune the textures to sc5's levels at minimum. These were way blown out and kind of low resolution. I give the game an A- in simitation but a C in building quality. Sc4 would get a B+ (without the mods) and sc5 a C+

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 6:27 AM
Kicking it Viking style..

Only played it for about 2 hours so far ( basically just played around with freeways ) but really like it - it's a lovechild between Sim City and CitiesXL

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 2:28 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREKI View Post
Only played it for about 2 hours so far ( basically just played around with freeways ) but really like it - it's a lovechild between Sim City and CitiesXL
Thats what I was thinking. It actually looks like what the Simcity from EA should of been before the development had a stroke. Its essentially a super improved version of the new sim city, with elements of cities xl, mod support, no origin, and better performance.

Tiltshift is pretty cool, but I prefer it turned off. Unrealistic. Although what is cool is the color correction. The tropical or temperate color schemes really make it seem like a cities in a tropical or colder region.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 3:00 PM
FUS RO DAH!

it´s just sad that no City simulation game ever has added "developing country" difficulty. Like slums/favelas spawning around in prime real state not paying taxes, and if you bulldoze them you get protests and bad press, while at the same time the citizens there will overburden your public services, but won´t pay any taxes...

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 3:13 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Would make a good simulator. Something like Africa Simulator. Where you have villages, and you have the ability to build cities, upgrade the economy from agriculture to mining and so on. Have the ability to wage warfare and what not. Would be pretty cool. Maybe disease comes into play. Can make trade deals, military deals, or aid deals with the west. Ability to wage warfare or wipe out other villages if one chooses. Sounds like a good idea.

I think Africa simulator would be fun. Now somebody needs to make it.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 3:21 PM
BANNED

Sounds and looks great. I had sim city 2000 back in the day.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 3:57 PM
Majestic

I've sunk about 7 hours into the game so far.

Pros
  • allows you to freeform your roads and zone layouts, giving you a lot of flexibility as to how you design your city
  • options menu hits most of the critical points with regards to game setup
  • steam achievements that are turned off when playing with mods
  • mod support through the steam workshop
  • the game is extremely light. This is one of the things that made CitiesXL horrible to play -- it was poorly optimized and was a heavy even on very good sytem
  • the game doesn't throw too much at your right at the start -- the game gives you a small set of options and the tutorial is built right in
  • there is quite a bit of depth to the budget system -- OTOH, it's relatively easy to start making big money once you have your city on the go
  • in the place of advisors that older titles like SimCity had, this game lets you know what is going on through a Twitter-like feed, complete with hashtags
  • Many graphs
  • much like City in Motion games, Cities: Skylines has a fleshed-out transportation simulation. You can start out by putting down a bus depot, and then start laying out stops for your route right away, which you can change at any time
  • in this game, developing infrastructure costs money, planning out zones does not
  • when putting roads down, there are helpful grids that are displayed as well which show you the developable area attached to that road frontage -- this can help you optimize your grid

Cons
  • the UI can be a bit clunky -- working on roads can be a bit of a hassle as (thus far) I've found that the road will continue from where your last segment ended, and won't change until you click out of the road building tools on the toolbar
  • there's not a ton in the way of content at this point. This will be fixed through modding and DLC of course, and we do get a fair amount for a not-fully-priced game
  • trying to get things to snap to the grid can be a bit finicky -- there's also a bit of trial and error involved in finding out what the proper length of something should be if i want to square it up
  • my biggest criticism of the gameplay is that it's a bit too easy. My preference would be for something a little more difficult to master.
  • one of the things i do miss from other city building games is a day/night cycle
  • this kinda goes in with the too easy thing, but loans as structure make the game much less challenging at the start, and you probably won't ever need them again after a couple hours into the game

Flickr

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 4:14 PM
video et taceo

i bought this last night and have played a bit.

there is no question that the simulation is far ahead of cities xl, but that game could present some beautiful city images — a skyline glinting in the night, or a row of houses under a sunrise.

this one gives you much less of a sense of place, particularly as the camera doesn't go down to street level.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 4:33 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Once theres an ENB graphics mod for it, it will look like life like. Once the mod community goes full steam ahead, we will see this shine. I think its safe to say that we have something that will eclipse SC4. I'm sure someone out there will be working on a networking mod to upgrade the transportation and what not.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 12:26 AM
Kicking it Viking style..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trantor View Post
it´s just sad that no City simulation game ever has added "developing country" difficulty. Like slums/favelas spawning around in prime real state not paying taxes, and if you bulldoze them you get protests and bad press, while at the same time the citizens there will overburden your public services, but won´t pay any taxes...
The Tropico games are sort of like that - city builder meets dictator simulator - they are all great!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 12:43 AM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Would make a good simulator. Something like Africa Simulator. Where you have villages, and you have the ability to build cities, upgrade the economy from agriculture to mining and so on. Have the ability to wage warfare and what not. Would be pretty cool. Maybe disease comes into play. Can make trade deals, military deals, or aid deals with the west. Ability to wage warfare or wipe out other villages if one chooses. Sounds like a good idea.

I think Africa simulator would be fun. Now somebody needs to make it.
Africa would be hardcore mode.

Anyway, not sure you are serious (wage warfare and wipe other villages?), but I was serious about a harder mode trying to build a "perfect" city in a poorer country, which would reflect in many aspects of the game.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 12:45 AM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREKI View Post
The Tropico games are sort of like that - city builder meets dictator simulator - they are all great!
I heard many good things about Tropico, but I really mean a PURE city simulation but with different difficulty options which would reflect in aspects and economics of the game.

Less money to do things and harder challenges to tackle.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 1:06 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trantor View Post
Africa would be hardcore mode.

Anyway, not sure you are serious (wage warfare and wipe other villages?), but I was serious about a harder mode trying to build a "perfect" city in a poorer country, which would reflect in many aspects of the game.
In terms of a game concept, I think its a cool. Its like if Sim City meets Rise of Nations meets Age of Empires with the city building, alliances or enemies, trading, and so on. I would definitely buy a game that combined city simulation with the ability to wipe out other nations and the ability again to choose between pacifism or imperialism, only in Africa. But more hardcore in the sense of running a nation yet dealing with things that might crop up like rebel groups or genocides or diseases. Just like the real thing.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 3:24 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Moved the thread to Skyscraper Art. Why? Because we are inevitably going to be creating some art with this. Show us what you got!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 4:59 AM
Resu Deretsiger

so far. the map is from the steam marketplace and i have the mod to unlock all the cities. These are districts i made

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 7:34 AM
Kris Holm in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
Cons
  • the UI can be a bit clunky -- working on roads can be a bit of a hassle as (thus far) I've found that the road will continue from where your last segment ended, and won't change until you click out of the road building tools on the toolbar
Right clicking will toggle away from last segment! <3
"'My people' have our contribution to society - we make things look better via accessorizing, designing, etc. 'Your people' keep making more people, make things function (like car engines) - and I like that arrangement - it keeps me from breaking a nail and keeps you guys from having to understand why women like to shop!"
Mayday- ca 2003

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art