HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 4:43 PM

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...159874755.html

Viterra Inc. announced it has a commercial agreement with the Canadian Wheat Board (CWB) to accept deliveries of grain that farmers commit to CWB contracts at all Viterra locations across western Canada.
The agreement also includes port handling services.
In March the CWB announced a similar deal with Cargill Ltd.
At that time the CWB’s chief executive officer, Ian White, said the Cargill agreement is likely the first of others that will be announced soon.
The partnerships are necessary so that the new-look CWB can offer farmers price-pooling options and cash contracts now that the CWB no longer has a monopoly on marketing Prairie wheat and barley. Any registered grain company can now offer contracts to market Prairie grain

"I feel like I've been living in a city with no children in it, a garden left for ruin by a millionaire inside of a private prison"

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 5:36 AM

good article highlighting manitoba's diversified economy in the globe (beating sask and alberta?!):

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle4421538/

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 1:08 PM
What could go wrong?

Downtown hostel to be sold Not enough income to sustain backpacker inn

By: Bartley Kives Posted: 1:00 AM

The HI Winnipeg Downtowner helped improve area, residents say.

BORIS MINKEVICH / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS Enlarge Image

The HI Winnipeg Downtowner helped improve area, residents say.

Hostel conditions in the Winnipeg hospitality market have forced The Forks-North Portage Partnership to put one of its downtown properties up for sale.

Within weeks, a for-sale sign will appear on the HI Winnipeg Downtowner, a 120-bed Ellice Avenue hostel that's served as Hostelling International's only Manitoba operation for the past four years.

Read More..........http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...162689996.html
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 8:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
good article highlighting manitoba's diversified economy in the globe (beating sask and alberta?!):

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle4421538/
I am anxious to see Stats Canada populaton numbers to see how many people are still leaving Manitoba. It seems an article like this comes along every so often, only to be diminished by stats, and subsequent reports by the Conference Board, RBC Financial, etc showing such claims were premature. An initial rosey picture gets painted, but months later, the reality sets in and we do not do so well.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2012, 12:36 AM
Heart of the Continent

Umm, no, since the population is still growing at a near record pace, and the economy actually has been doing well for quite some time now, I think it's just that you're taking a decidedly pessimistic view of this province.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2012, 3:28 AM
BANNED

We can do better. We are still a welfare province, having to rely on Equalization payments (aka welfare) to pay our bills. Nothing to be proud of. Wages are still lagging too.

Last edited by Prairieboy; Aug 6, 2012 at 3:45 AM.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2012, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieboy View Post
We can do better. We are still a welfare province, having to rely on Equalization payments (aka welfare) to pay our bills. Nothing to be proud of. Wages are still lagging too.
im tired of this argument manitoban still pay some of the least for gas, utilities, mortgages, insurance in all of canada loll.... are hydro and electricy is mucch cheaper than 90 percent of canada, are gas is cheaper here than 75 percent of canada, are insurance is cheaper that 80 percent of canada,, are mortage rates and houseing prices even tho increasing are still cheaper... and are economy is on the up and and up itll only get better from here.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 5:44 PM

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...171816851.html

"Winnipeg has been chosen as the site for CN Rail's new national employee training training centre.
CN officials announced at a news conference today in Transcona that the new 100,000-square-foot facility will be fully operational by early 2014.
Once fully operational, 250 to 300 employees a week from across the country will be coming here for training.
The centre will also employ several dozen full-time trainers.
The Winnipeg fascility is one of two new central training centres being built by CN. The other is in Chicago and will open later in 2014."

"I feel like I've been living in a city with no children in it, a garden left for ruin by a millionaire inside of a private prison"

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpenner View Post
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...171816851.html

"Winnipeg has been chosen as the site for CN Rail's new national employee training training centre.
CN officials announced at a news conference today in Transcona that the new 100,000-square-foot facility will be fully operational by early 2014.
Once fully operational, 250 to 300 employees a week from across the country will be coming here for training.
The centre will also employ several dozen full-time trainers.
The Winnipeg fascility is one of two new central training centres being built by CN. The other is in Chicago and will open later in 2014."
I Guess that this is to replace the one that they had the old Gimly Airbase that they operated from 1977 to 1995.

Last edited by cllew; Sep 28, 2012 at 10:03 PM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy0019 View Post
i know where the new south end laser tag will be located but i wont say till the deal is completely signed. dont want to get peoples hopes up if they live across the street. should be done shortly
i can finally say where this laser tag facility will be. 1140 waverly. 2 level space located in the former MB hydro offices that have been recently renovated

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 7:43 PM

Horrible news - IMRIS packing up city operation for move to Minneapolis, 1/2 of 129 people are being asked to move. These are the kind of jobs we need to keep here. I wonder why YES Winnipeg is not helping out?

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...178932261.html

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Horrible news - IMRIS packing up city operation for move to Minneapolis, 1/2 of 129 people are being asked to move. These are the kind of jobs we need to keep here. I wonder why YES Winnipeg is not helping out?

imris isnt a big loss at all... they were most likely a company funded by your tax money.. we need less govt dependent jobs in this city anyway//

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 8:48 PM

While i don't agree with subsidizing certain types of private business, I hate that canada as a whole does not put enough funding into developing technology and sciences. I can understand that we don't because we are one of the most resource rich countries in the world but i would love to see us take an approach similar to germany. They have no resources and have been completely destroyed twice, yet push funding for research and have become a dominant global economy because of it. In a province where our greatness natural resource is wheat , we should be pushing to become a centre for developing technologies like these.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwayne View Post
imris isnt a big loss at all... they were most likely a company funded by your tax money.. we need less govt dependent jobs in this city anyway//
wow, you ever take an economics class?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 9:06 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I Guess that this is to replace the one that they had the old Gimly Airbase that they operated from 1977 to 1995.
I drove the locomotive simulator in Gimli way back when. I crashed into the back of another train.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post

I was fortunate to have a nice chat with the CFO of IMRIS, during a YYC/YWG trip

Sad to see, personally. But doesn't surprise me, given the impression I was given regarding the medical tech state in the country. Health care is amazing in Canada, but the tech he said was a "step behind"

They also do most of their business globally, especially in the States. Not much happening in Canada on that side, but losing half the workforce of a local firm to another market is never a good thing

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwayne View Post
That's a stupid comment.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 5:07 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

I imagine the USA has a far better environment for such a business purely with respect to the size of the market. Not just population but sheer market size - many small town clinics or even doctor's offices purchase diagnostic equipment for use by patients or local contracted use. Here such diagnostic services are firmly behind a curtain of rationed health care so far fewer units would be purchased.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 11:50 AM

off topic...but did you know RIM spent more $ in R&D than any other Cdn company, including gov't. It's truly sad to see what has happened to them. Off shoring mfg with their low wages and consumers wanting the lowest price is what is killing R&D and MFG in this country.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 5:20 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

winnipeg allways gets the short end of the stick due to decisions ottowa makes...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan