HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 8:52 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

Views from inside the Wrapper are pretty good--in no small part because you can't see the Wrapper.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 11:07 PM

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post

Hmmm...

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Views from inside the Wrapper are pretty good--in no small part because you can't see the Wrapper.

I think what really makes this building special is that it's supported from the exterior via the exoskeleton, and has its elevator bay off to one side. This gives completely open floor plates in a high rise office building... I don't know if you get that in any other office in LA. The elevator bay being off at the side is interesting because my understanding is that was one of the structural flaws in the office tower that collapsed in Christchurch NZ back when they had their big earthquake. Presumably, that issue has been accounted for with this building.

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 8:06 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

The Wrapper is a great example of the idea that “anything goes in LA.” It’s bad in a quirky way, which makes it good in a sense. But stuff like the shit boxes with bright-colored accents that were popping up more frequently 10 years ago are just flat-out horrible.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 9:30 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post

I think what really makes this building special is that it's supported from the exterior via the exoskeleton, and has its elevator bay off to one side. This gives completely open floor plates in a high rise office building... I don't know if you get that in any other office in LA. The elevator bay being off at the side is interesting because my understanding is that was one of the structural flaws in the office tower that collapsed in Christchurch NZ back when they had their big earthquake. Presumably, that issue has been accounted for with this building.
The Wrapper is base-isolated.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 11:26 PM

Its been over a year since Faring had a ground breaking at the French Market in West Hollywood, and there has been zero work done since their big gala. Nothing. Anyone know whats going on here? I assume Faring has major financing issues, but its embarrassing for everyone involved including WeHo's politicians who never miss a photo opportunity. i= https://wehotimes.com/faring-hosts-g...arket-project/

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 5:27 PM

I was in West LA the other day and noticed this lot that was to become a Whole Foods/Mixed Use Residential has become a surface parking lot. I guess it safe to assume this project in its current form dead.

https://la.urbanize.city/post/mixed-...t-year-west-la

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 7:29 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

Residential conversion planned for 17-story office tower at 6380 Wilshire Boulevard

Jamison Services proposes 210 apartments

Steven Sharp
Urbanize Los Angeles
June 1, 2023

Over the past decade, Jamison Services has converted numerous mid-century office towers in Koreatown to housing. Now, the Los Angeles-based firm turns its sights to a different stretch of the Wilshire corridor.

Last month, Jamison filed an application with the Planning Department seeking approvals to convert the 17-story, 144,000-square-foot high-rise at 6380 Wilshire Boulevard into apartments. The proposed project would convert the interior of the 1963 building into 210 studio, one-, two-, and three-bedroom apartments, while also offering parking for 176 vehicles in an existing above-grade garage.

Next Architecture is designing the adaptive reuse project, which would retain the building's existing windows and glazing, while also adding new windows to portions of the above-grade parking garage, as well as a rooftop penthouse structure.

Approximately 27,000 square feet of amenities are proposed for use by residents, including a theater, co-working space, a fitness center, a club room, a yoga studio, a game room, a golf simulator, a sky lounge, and a rooftop pool deck.

The proposed project would rise two blocks to the east of Metro's upcoming Wilshire/Fairfax subway station, and in close proximity to a handful of new and proposed mixed-use and residential projects.

Across Wilshire Boulevard, the 16-story NMS La Jolla apartment tower opened for residents earlier this year, while an AC Hotel occupies the shell of a converted 11-story office building next door.

A short distance to the west at Wilshire's intersection with San Vicente Boulevard, upcoming projects include a proposed 20-story apartment tower and an approved 12-story medical office tower.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 9:55 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

This is exactly what that stretch of Wilshire needs: to diversify from a primarily office and retail use to more mixed with residential, office, and retail being a bit more balanced. This block will be in much better shape with the hotel and the apartment tower both across the street, surrounded by office, medical, and retail.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 10:10 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
This is exactly what that stretch of Wilshire needs: to diversify from a primarily office and retail use to more mixed with residential, office, and retail being a bit more balanced. This block will be in much better shape with the hotel and the apartment tower both across the street, surrounded by office, medical, and retail.
Agreed.

We may not be able to convert some of the big downtown office towers to other uses because of their huge floorplates, but we can definitely focus on converting smaller office buildings like this one into badly-needed housing. There are tons of these kinds of opportunities throughout LA, and that's especially true of Wilshire Blvd.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 7:17 PM

Pasted from the downtown thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
A lot of these bigger projects are fast coming up to the
(we won't be seen during the Olympics) deadline awfully fast.
I'm fairly shocked that the Olympics hasn't been a catalyst for new large, private projects. Previous host cities saw massive private spending directly related to the Olympics, especially with hotels. While downtown has seen new hotels, they were all in the pipeline before the Olympics were awarded and are predominantly meant to serve the convention center.

The 2028 Olympics are meant to be car free with no parking for spectators. So where are all of the new hotels along the transit lines convenient for events? Near LAX, the K line, and Sofi stadium? On the B line between Westwood and mid-city?

And yeah, I know that we've been seeing new hotels and entertainment but I don't get the impression that any of them are related to LA2028. Maybe visitor travel post-pandemic is expected to be less significant?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
Pasted from the downtown thread.

I'm fairly shocked that the Olympics hasn't been a catalyst for new large, private projects. Previous host cities saw massive private spending directly related to the Olympics, especially with hotels. While downtown has seen new hotels, they were all in the pipeline before the Olympics were awarded and are predominantly meant to serve the convention center.

The 2028 Olympics are meant to be car free with no parking for spectators. So where are all of the new hotels along the transit lines convenient for events? Near LAX, the K line, and Sofi stadium? On the B line between Westwood and mid-city?

And yeah, I know that we've been seeing new hotels and entertainment but I don't get the impression that any of them are related to LA2028. Maybe visitor travel post-pandemic is expected to be less significant?
I don't think developers are planning projects based on a two week spike in people. Certainly not residential. I think it's more of a vanity thing for big players that want their building seen, but if financials don't make sense (and they don't for most right now), then nobody is building. I suspect in 2024 after the Paris Olympics, all eyes will be on LA and we will get a rush of buildings trying to make it by 2028.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2023, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio5 View Post
I don't think developers are planning projects based on a two week spike in people. Certainly not residential.
Yet previous Olympic cities have seen a spike in private construction. I agree that it's never been about a 2-week spike, so there must be other reasons. Maybe public incentives, maybe optimism, maybe both and more. Look at what London went through prior to 2012. The Olympics reshaped the city. Same thing to a lesser degree in other host cities. Salt Lake, Atlanta, others.

And we aren't just getting the Olympics, we're also getting World Cup games in 2026.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2023, 10:09 PM

Still, the city should be looking to at least revamp Hollywood blvd in a exciting way. And parts of downtown for the Olympics. It does seem like all they care about is discussing homeless, which is kinda pathetic. Like the city is more than it's freaking homeless situation. Imagine if Chicago just focused on it's violence and nothing else.

I don't know of any real plans. The council are the most brain dead people we could have. They really don't give a fuck about improving LA at all. Everything is small.

The atheletes housing is going to be by UCLA. What are the plans to improve Westwood exactly? Its 5 years away, but they shouldn't be thinking of this stuff last minute.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 3:00 PM

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 3:51 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Wow, Intuit is really coming along!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 11:21 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

Crescent Heights plans 34-story apartment tower at 3100 Wilshire Boulevard in Koreatown

Hartshorne Plunkard-designed project will retain portions of a 1939 commercial building

Steven Sharp
Urbanize Los Angeles
June 8, 2023

Miami-based developer Crescent Heights is once again adding to its portfolio of Los Angeles projects, with plans for a new high-rise apartment complex near Bullocks Wilshire in Koreatown.

The new project, submitted recently to the L.A. Department of City Planning for review, would rise from a property located at 3100 Wilshire Boulevard, which has been developed with a three-story commercial building since 1939. Crescent Heights intends to the facade of the existing structures, as well as nearly two thirds of its interior, while razing rear-facing portions of the building and an adjoining parking lot to clear the way for the construction of a new 34-story tower which would feature 297 apartments above a 410-car garage in six subterranean levels and seven above-grade levels. Remaining floor area from the existing building would be converted into approximately 7,100 square feet of retail and restaurant space, as well as amenities, a leasing office, and a lobby.

Crescent Heights is pursuing entitlements using the Transit Oriented Communities incentives to permit greater density than would otherwise be allowed on the property. In exchange, 33 of the proposed studio, one-, two-, and three-bedroom apartments would be set aside for rent as affordable housing at the extremely low-income level.

Hartshorne Plunkard Architecture, whose work is frequently showcased in Urbanize Chicago, is designing 3100 Wilshire. Plans describe the tower as rising approximately 393 feet to its apex, with the tower's mass set back from the street behind the existing facade. Above-grade parking would likewise be largely masked by the existing construction, and capped by a seventh-floor amenity space. Other open spaces for residents would be located at the roof level.

The proposed tower is the latest in a recent series of high-rise buildings in the works for the blocks surrounding Wilshire between Lafayette Park and Wilshire/Vermont Station, following the 25-story Kurve on Wilshire, UDR's 3033 Wilshire development, and Holland Partner Group's Hallasan project. Koreatown mainstay Jamison Services is also planning two smaller podium-type apartment complexes along the same stretch of Wilshire.

The existing construction, which is eligible to be listed in the California Register of Historic Places, is located on a site once occupied by the home of Ruben Shettler, a millionaire credited with inventing the friction clutch. The property was subsequently redeveloped with commercial buildings, and eventually the three-story structure which remains to this day.

Crescent Heights, which started off developing smaller-scale projects in Los Angeles more than 30 years ago, has long since moved on to building some of the region's largest buildings. Its portfolio includes the Ten Thousand apartment tower in Century City, two high-rise buildings planned next to the Hollywood Palladium and a proposed 70-story apartment tower which would rank as the city's tallest residential building when completed.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 11:50 PM

Amazing project! I love it!!!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 1:53 AM
Show me the blueprints

Yes! I love the saving of the original low rise and setting back the new tower programming. It's the best of both worlds.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations