HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
357 N Green has received a height bump. We should probably now give this project it's own thread

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept...n_Hearing.html
Most defining project in the pipeline IMO. Will really shape FM from many views

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
What's wrong with ceiling murals?
In the case of this one especially, it's looking like it's going to contain some inane platitude (like 'It's All Good!" or some other toxic-positivity mantra), and I imagine the intention of this one from the development team is to signal that the development is contemporary (and under the pretense that it's to "inspire" people or "enliven the space").

In general, the one's I've seen are almost always kitsch. A ceiling is not a proper medium for a piece of painted art, unless incorporated into the building in synthesis with the architecture, and even then, I'd rather have a beautiful structure that I can appreciate in and of itself rather than to have a prescribed--and usually contrived--visual experience of something.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 6:39 PM
TL;DR

I doubt there would be text. Since it's on a ceiling, the text could be sideways or upside down depending on where you are standing (Randolph, Morgan, Carpenter). It'll probably just be an abstract composition like Brown's other recent work.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
In the case of this one especially, it's looking like it's going to contain some inane platitude (like 'It's All Good!" or some other toxic-positivity mantra), and I imagine the intention of this one from the development team is to signal that the development is contemporary (and under the pretense that it's to "inspire" people or "enliven the space").

In general, the one's I've seen are almost always kitsch. A ceiling is not a proper medium for a piece of painted art, unless incorporated into the building in synthesis with the architecture, and even then, I'd rather have a beautiful structure that I can appreciate in and of itself rather than to have a prescribed--and usually contrived--visual experience of something.
I for one say if they are going to use text, at least make fun of the typical text sayings. Maybe something like:
"Live
Laugh
Fart"

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 6:49 PM

Quote:

This reads a lot like "I don't like that kind of thing." As you noted, you haven't even seen the finished product and are reading all sorts of things into it. Get off my lawn. Well, it's not your lawn unless you live there.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
This reads a lot like "I don't like that kind of thing." As you noted, you haven't even seen the finished product and are reading all sorts of things into it. Get off my lawn. Well, it's not your lawn unless you live there.
I was directly asked "What's wrong with murals?" by you, and I answered you.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 7:36 PM

Quote:
I was directly asked "What's wrong with murals?" by you, and I answered you.
Specifically, you ranted about how a mural that isn't finished might include text you detest despite the said mural not having any text painted on it at all. So your answer revealed a lot about your personal taste more than anything else. My original question was generalized to ceiling murals. So if a ceiling mural is painted in an artistic style you like, would you say all ceiling murals are good? This just strikes me as a chance for you to gripe about something that isn't a bad thing, it's just different.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 8:18 PM
Mulan M.

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 12:12 AM

Quote:

It's pretty clear that inane platitudes are in fact what most of the city wants for its public art. No reason to expect anything else.

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewbs View Post
It's pretty clear that inane platitudes are in fact what most of the city wants for its public art. No reason to expect anything else.
This has nothing to do with the city, its on the ceiling of a common area in an apt building. And as for art on a ceiling I think Michelangelo would say it is fine, it is just a pain in the neck.

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 3:55 AM

I dunno,. I really like the ceiling mural at RICE cube. In this case a flashy mural will draw attention to the angled columns. Could be pretty cool

Last edited by The Lurker; May 27, 2023 at 4:06 AM.

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 5:01 AM
Chicago

1114 W Carroll

May 15, 2023

May 18, 2023

May 22, 2023

May 25, 2023

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 5:02 AM
Chicago

The Saint Grand - 218 E Grand

May 16, 2023

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 5:02 AM
Chicago

RIU Plaza Chicago - 150 E Ontario

May 16, 2023

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 5:03 AM
Chicago

Verso - 311 W Huron

May 16, 2023

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 5:04 AM
Chicago

Cassidy on Canal - 350 N Canal

May 16, 2023

May 22, 2023

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 5:04 AM
Chicago

The Dylan - 160 N Morgan

May 25, 2023

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 5:10 PM

Curious. Is it just me, but has this development stalled the last few weeks? I have yet to notice any moment on the site.

p.s. Thanks for the updates, SolarWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
May 16, 2023

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback View Post
Curious. Is it just me, but has this development stalled the last few weeks? I have yet to notice any moment on the site.

p.s. Thanks for the updates, SolarWind
I've noticed as well. I think this project's been topped out since I moved nearby about two months ago but zero action on cladding so far. Most of the work since then has been material staging on each floor and some random HVAC work on the roof.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpacaObsessor View Post
I've noticed as well. I think this project's been topped out since I moved nearby about two months ago but zero action on cladding so far. Most of the work since then has been material staging on each floor and some random HVAC work on the roof.
I walk by the site every day and there is plenty of activity! MEP is going in and there looks to be a primer being painted on the concrete now hopefully in preparation for cladding. Can't confirm but I heard there was an issue with the architect's documents.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations