HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 5:14 PM
ARTchitecture

Calgary’s newest canyon, 10 Avenue SW. None of these buildings existed 8 years ago save for a handful of 120+ year-old warehouses. 10 new buildings including the one UC. Next new canyon will be 4 Street in about ~2028.

Photo by 1875 on SRC

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 2:50 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 4:31 PM
ハルウララ

via Matt Armstrong on Twitter
@matt_a7

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 3:24 PM

Avenue and Bloor by Jack Landau, on Flickr

Mink Mile by Jack Landau, on Flickr

Toronto Fire by Jack Landau, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 3:33 PM
I am the law!

Amazing how a one storey glass addition on a 17 storey, Deco era tower can ruin it.

This building was abandoned during construction for a number of years after the 1929 crash. I wonder if it was cheapened once construction restarted. The penthouse floors seem truncated.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 3:53 PM

The addition would be fine if it was set back 10 feet from the edge. Other then that they did a decent job restoring the exterior of the building and the lighting looks good. Wasn't it housing for nursing students for a while or am I thinking of another building nearby?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 5:14 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Amazing how a one storey glass addition on a 17 storey, Deco era tower can ruin it.

This building was abandoned during construction for a number of years after the 1929 crash. I wonder if it was cheapened once construction restarted. The penthouse floors seem truncated.
Agreed. It's a pretty ugly "hat" now. I also wish they'd have put more effort into the ground floor.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 5:21 PM

Ottawa has a horrible urban canyon of 23-29 story cheapo stump towers going up wall to wall down Rideau Street next to the Byward Market. Four more of them under construction in this frame.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 5:45 PM
Midtowner since 2K

That sure is some impressive density for that area.

Does that LCBO in the foreground have anything proposed for replacing it? Looks like a good plot for another tower.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post

Does that LCBO in the foreground have anything proposed for replacing it? Looks like a good plot for another tower.
Yes they have plans to develop a tower there in the next few years.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 6:08 PM

Quote:

Agreed. Especially considering they did such a good job of restoring the windows , scrubbing/cleaning the grime off of the facade, and tasteful understated night lighting . Then to ruin it with an oppressive "hat" I guess it's in keeping with the bizarre penthouse on the Camrost Felcorp condo beside the old Four Seasons up the road.

I believe the Avenue Road Hyatt used to have a tasteful understated modernist addition by a local architect until it was demolished and replaced by the po-mo addition in the 90s

Another example of this oppressive renovation is the awful 'premium' window-wall penthouse plopped on top of 111 St Clair W. The worst case would be the brutal destruction of the streamline moderne facade of the service Canada Building by Yonge & Eglinton.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
Agreed. Especially considering they did such a good job of restoring the windows , scrubbing/cleaning the grime off of the facade, and tasteful understated night lighting . Then to ruin it with an oppressive "hat" I guess it's in keeping with the bizarre penthouse on the Camrost Felcorp condo beside the old Four Seasons up the road.

Another example of this is the awful 'premium' window-wall penthouse plopped on top of 111 St Clair W

And lets not forget the thing Harry Stinson plopped on top of the old bank structure at 1 King West.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 8:13 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post

I believe the Avenue Road Hyatt used to have a tasteful understated modernist addition by a local architect until it was demolished and replaced by the po-mo addition in the 90s

Another example of this oppressive renovation is the awful 'premium' window-wall penthouse plopped on top of 111 St Clair W. The worst case would be the brutal destruction of the streamline moderne facade of the service Canada Building by Yonge & Eglinton.
yup.

What are the plans with 170 Bloor post reno? It was primarily office space (popular with doctors) with a few floors of hotel rooms and a rooftop restaurant. Is it going full hotel usage?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 8:36 PM

Quote:
yup.

What are the plans with 170 Bloor post reno? It was primarily office space (popular with doctors) with a few floors of hotel rooms and a rooftop restaurant. Is it going full hotel usage?
The majority of 170 Bloor is going to be rental apartments [I believe a portion of them are furnished hotel-rental type suites , similar to what Stinson did in 1KW]

They also mention some of the space will be "ancillary uses" likely a bit of the office space was retained for administrators of Park Hyatt Canada and event space/hotel meeting rooms.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 10:02 PM

Quote:

The density would be the only impressive aspect ....

Old Posted Apr 15, 2022, 9:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Ottawa has a horrible urban canyon of 23-29 story cheapo stump towers going up wall to wall down Rideau Street next to the Byward Market. Four more of them under construction in this frame.

What's with the little nub tower between the new twin slabs? Too much light and air reaching the lower floors?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2022, 12:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Yes they have plans to develop a tower there in the next few years.
The LCBO is owned by Montreal's Rimap. They have a A/C Marriott u/c in the image (the third tower from the LCBO along Rideau), an approved 35 storey tower on Slater at Bay in the CBD and a Marriott Moxy proposed in the Byward Market, which includes a restored heritage building and modern tower.

They will likely propose a new tower for the LCBO site once these three projects are near completion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
What's with the little nub tower between the new twin slabs? Too much light and air reaching the lower floors?
A third tower growing out of the second one.

https://twitter.com/ClaridgeHomes/st...76595359793152

Old Posted Apr 15, 2022, 2:15 PM
I am the law!

student ghetto

Claridge Place 3 and the lime green spot student residence are literally wall to wall for the full 28 floors!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2022, 5:23 PM

Quote:
student ghetto

Claridge Place 3 and the lime green spot student residence are literally wall to wall for the full 28 floors!
Just wait until the empty lot next to the residence is developed. How much you want to bet it will be another couple of buildings the same height?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2022, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Good question. I hadn't noticed that little nub in there before you pointed it out. I'll try to fly in for a closer look next time I take the drone out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada