HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #341  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 8:32 PM
giantSwan's Avatar
giantSwan giantSwan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Northeast, United States
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Really? Looks boring to me architecturally anyway. I can't imagine its the nicest terminal in the world. Seems like it serves low cost carriers too. Carpet patterns are hideous there too.
I've been to Chiangi many times...it's definitely one of the best in the world, if not the best. They have carpet - agree if done well, it helps mute sound.

I think the miss for me in the new LGA is not bold enough architecture (think Beijing's new airport)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #342  
Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 10:42 AM
urbanflight urbanflight is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 6
Did Delta pay entirely for the new Delta terminal?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #343  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 6:27 AM
aquablue aquablue is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,680
Just looks so ordinary for the grand entrance to NYC. Very average, not much uniqueness . I hope JFK looks more interesting.

Last edited by aquablue; Nov 10, 2019 at 7:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #344  
Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 7:55 PM
N830MH N830MH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanflight View Post
Did Delta pay entirely for the new Delta terminal?
Yes, they do. They have to pay a new terminal.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #345  
Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 8:05 PM
mrnyc mrnyc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantSwan View Post
I've been to Chiangi many times...it's definitely one of the best in the world, if not the best. They have carpet - agree if done well, it helps mute sound.

I think the miss for me in the new LGA is not bold enough architecture (think Beijing's new airport)
that's the difference between china government building the beijing airport and delta paying for the lga terminal.

ny taxpayers will get shook down enough with the lga air train and roadwork.

it might not be the very best looks-wise or have changi amenities, but like the new istanbul airport, its more spacious, modernized and will get the job done.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #346  
Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 7:00 AM
aquablue aquablue is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,680
What a lazy design. Ny really going down hill in terms of transport design when you look at what Europe and Asia has built in recent times.

I thought a city with the global stature of NY would at least have a brand name designer, and not a cookie-cutter coporate conglomerate. Come on NY , you can do better than this terminal that has no character and could be something out of Houston or Miami. You can see from the interiors and dull exteriors that this is a budget first, design last kind of project.

Last edited by aquablue; Nov 12, 2019 at 7:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #347  
Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 3:41 PM
BuildThemTaller BuildThemTaller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
What a lazy design. Ny really going down hill in terms of transport design when you look at what Europe and Asia has built in recent times.

I thought a city with the global stature of NY would at least have a brand name designer, and not a cookie-cutter coporate conglomerate. Come on NY , you can do better than this terminal that has no character and could be something out of Houston or Miami. You can see from the interiors and dull exteriors that this is a budget first, design last kind of project.
LGA is almost entirely a domestic airport. The only international destinations served by the airport are Toronto and other Canadian cities on the East coast.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #348  
Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 4:20 PM
Crawford Crawford is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NYC/Polanco, DF
Posts: 19,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
LGA is almost entirely a domestic airport. The only international destinations served by the airport are Toronto and other Canadian cities on the East coast.
And the Caribbean.

But I don't get the relevance. Why would the relative merits of an airline terminal design be related to whether the flight is headed to Austin or Amsterdam?

I'm just glad the horrible terminals are finally being replaced with modern ones.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #349  
Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 4:43 PM
k1052 k1052 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,770
Having spent MUCH time in Terminal B over the years it doesn't have to look like Changi inside for it's replacement to gain my approval.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #350  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 10:11 PM
giantSwan's Avatar
giantSwan giantSwan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Northeast, United States
Posts: 260
love all the commentary. i agree with both sides - the new terminal is CLEARLY better than the last and I'm happy about that. But it still pains me that the world's number one city couldn't be a little bolder here (delta money or taxpayer money).

It does feel like a trend- tappan zee, laguardia, penn st. Getting things done - but with banal architecture
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #351  
Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 1:05 AM
NYguy's Avatar
NYguy NYguy is online now
New Yorker for life
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Borough of Jersey
Posts: 41,178
Just to remind everyone, this thread isn't a "best of" of airport terminals around the world. It's specifically for the rebuilding of LaGuardia, and discussion should remain specifically about this airport.
__________________
NEW YORK. World's capital.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #352  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 10:24 PM
N830MH N830MH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Just to remind everyone, this thread isn't a "best of" of airport terminals around the world. It's specifically for the rebuilding of LaGuardia, and discussion should remain specifically about this airport.
Yes, can they stay on topics? Follow the rules. We are talking about new concourse, and a few other things, as well.

Folks, can you please stay on topics? Follow the forums rules.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #353  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 1:40 AM
aquablue aquablue is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantSwan View Post
love all the commentary. i agree with both sides - the new terminal is CLEARLY better than the last and I'm happy about that. But it still pains me that the world's number one city couldn't be a little bolder here (delta money or taxpayer money).

It does feel like a trend- tappan zee, laguardia, penn st. Getting things done - but with banal architecture
NYC, deserves better than this average building. I agree, the new infrastructure stuff NY has come up with has been mediocre and obviously very budget orientated. Laguardia is just another example of NY cutting corners and not caring about what is going up in Europe or Asia, where the best airport designs are being built.

Last edited by aquablue; Nov 27, 2019 at 3:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #354  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 1:42 AM
aquablue aquablue is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Yes, can they stay on topics? Follow the rules. We are talking about new concourse, and a few other things, as well.

Folks, can you please stay on topics? Follow the forums rules.
You're not the mod, stop telling people what to do and I've been talking about this new airport if you didn't notice. Again, the focus is on the airport, but we need context to judge design. So we look at what is considered good airport design, and that's happening overseas right now, not in 'murica.

Let's stop living like horses that have blinkers on. The airport is fine, but nothing amazing. We need to hold NY to a higher standard. Great empires that rest on their laurels always decline. Empires always fall, but that can be delayed with good planning.

Last edited by aquablue; Nov 27, 2019 at 4:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #355  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 2:20 AM
NYguy's Avatar
NYguy NYguy is online now
New Yorker for life
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Borough of Jersey
Posts: 41,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Again, some people here grew up with airport design books on our coffee tables and have a fascination with airports. If you don't care about design in airports that's fine, but stop trying to stifle people's opinions.
I don't think he wants to stifle your opinion, nor do I think he cares about what books you grew up with. He simply wants you to discuss THIS airport, and its redevelopment, and is not concerned with your opinion of other airports around the world.
__________________
NEW YORK. World's capital.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #356  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 2:35 AM
aquablue aquablue is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I don't think he wants to stifle your opinion, nor do I think he cares about what books you grew up with. He simply wants you to discuss THIS airport, and its redevelopment, and is not concerned with your opinion of other airports around the world.
we were discussing this airport all the time. The other examples of airports were just to make a point about THIS airport.

Last edited by aquablue; Nov 27, 2019 at 10:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #357  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 6:18 AM
aquablue aquablue is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,680
again, focus was always squarely on the airport called LaGuardia. Nobody derailed the topic, the focus was on LaGuardia and the examples were used as a simple tool to help get a good judge of the design.

Last edited by aquablue; Nov 27, 2019 at 10:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:46 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.