HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 10:08 PM
Urban Advocate

Thanks. I'll add a couple items too.

Ran some errands on the bike today on both sides of the river. I love the bike grid... got most places on it, on separated paths and on standard bike lanes.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 3:22 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
A little late to the game, considering how many cities have been there, done that, and are now banning scooter-sharing operations.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 5:58 PM

absolutely. if we are going to allow these things on our road, there are dozens and dozens of case studies available for us to learn from mistakes of other cities and create regulations that will mitigate those risks.

These scooters are worth as much as a shopping cart to these companies that operate them. They are disposable.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
These scooters are worth as much as a shopping cart to these companies that operate them. They are disposable.
And other cities have experienced scooters ending up as literal dump piles on sidewalks.

Just one more hipster fad in need of a good brace of ice water.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 7:49 PM

Are they legal here? They're not legal for street use nor on pedestrian paths in BC.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
Are they legal here? They're not legal for street use nor on pedestrian paths in BC.
It seems like Alberta Transportation is allowing the cities to regulate.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 11:22 PM

The scooters are legit in moderate climates. Very well used in Denver, not really sure how it would work here with 4 months of basically guaranteed no scootering.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 8:05 PM
Community Guy

Love this idea from our friends in Sask.

http://dtnyxe.ca/ride-downtown-dtnyx...wntown-hotels/

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 7:25 PM

one meter passing rule in Calgary next month.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...fety-1.5260219

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 9:23 PM

We have such a fantastic system of trails in the river valley from Devon to Ft Sask and in between... I'm disappointed at the lack of wayfinding and markings for the trails...

Are there any initiatives underway to mark/identify them properly? Has this been tried before?... I'm including single track trails... which continue to provide nice surprises... I wish the city would embrace and boast about the network... maybe even cultivate a bit it as a place to escape... you really do feel like you're in another place riding Edmonton's single track!

Image by me, yesterday, on Lower Ewok

An example from some gold bar trails...
Image from https://ibb.co/yPQR710

A photo from TrailForks from Andre's Trail
Image from https://www.trailforks.com/photo/14022379/

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 4:51 AM

Good informative video that was posted in the Victoria thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCTlDdhSN3U

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 8:43 PM

Well faced with either waiting 22 minutes for the next bus, paying $11 for an Uber, or renting a Lime scooter, I decided to give it a shot. I was surprised to find the pair of Lime scooters parked on 50 St near 137 Ave but I'm guessing someone rode them there. The approximately 4km ride home took me 19 minutes and cost $7. A tiny little expensive for what it is especially compared to OGO car share which is cheaper when you work out $ per km, but pretty cool and a super fun way to get around urban areas.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 12:44 AM
Community Guy

The Bike Plan is rolling along!
October 24, 2019

The draft network map for the Edmonton Bike Plan is almost complete, but we want to know your key priorities so we can make biking an easier, more enjoyable choice for more Edmontonians.

Date: Saturday, November 2
Time: 10 a.m. - noon
Location: Mill Woods Senior and Multicultural Centre, 2610 Hewes Way NW

Date: Tuesday, November 5
Time: 6 - 8 p.m.
Location: Commonwealth Recreation Centre, 11000 Stadium Road NW

Date: Wednesday, November 6
Time: 6 - 8 p.m.

Workshops will be interactive, hands-on, roll-up-your-sleeves events. You will have a chance to share your input on the draft map and learn about how we’re proposing to move forward in areas that support biking, such as wayfinding and education.

Child care and fun activities for children are available. Register for the workshops on Eventbrite.

The Edmonton Bike Plan will guide how biking fits into our city in the future, talk about our shared needs and values and support the City’s vision of a connected, healthy and accessible city.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/bikeplan

Media contact:
Mary-Ann Thurber
Communications Advisor
Communications and Engagement
780-442-1698

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 5:32 PM
Community Guy

Road use and pedestrian signals adjusted to promote community safety
April 8, 2020

The City of Edmonton will adjust push buttons at pedestrian crossings and allocate some roadways for shared use effective Thursday. These changes will help prevent the spread of COVID-19 and encourage physical distancing while Edmontonians are outside.

Pedestrian signals will become automatic at 56 intersections located in high pedestrian areas and around hospitals to eliminate the need to push buttons at these crossings. The City will post signage to promote the change in these areas. The audible signal for the visually impaired will continue to be activated by pushing the button.

The City is also adjusting two roads in busy and densely populated areas to provide more space to pedestrians and cyclists. These changes will allow for Edmontonians to follow physical distancing requirements while safely enjoying the outdoors.

These areas are:

Victoria Promenade (100 Avenue) from 116 Street to 121 Street: the bike lane will be expanded and converted to a shared-use space for people walking and biking

Saskatchewan Drive from 105 Street to 109 Street: traffic is reduced to a single lane with the north lane converted to a shared-use space for people walking and biking

Crews will remove snow and sweep these lanes before they open to shared use.

“We all have an important role to play in preventing the spread of COVID-19. By working together to stay apart, whether we’re shopping for essential items or getting exercise outdoors, we can all help to protect our community’s health and safety,” said Darryl Mullen, Acting Director, Traffic Operations. “We know it’s important for Edmontonians to get outside during this time and these adjustments will help them do that while maintaining safe physical distance.”

Edmontonians are reminded to be courteous and aware of others around them while outdoors. This might mean choosing alternate times or routes for walks, passing others in single file and stepping aside to allow others to pass.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/covid-19

Media contact:
Alice Leung
Manager, Brand Unit
780-619-1931

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 7:34 PM

Edmonton Queen is now up at Whitemud. Wonder if this means they are hauling it out. It's back where it launched.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Edmonton Queen is now up at Whitemud. Wonder if this means they are hauling it out. It's back where it launched.
i think it was reported that the in situ repairs were temporary and that once done she was to be towed to whitemud and beached so the damage to its hull and below-deck cabins can be repaired out of the water.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
i think it was reported that the in situ repairs were temporary and that once done she was to be towed to whitemud and beached so the damage to its hull and below-deck cabins can be repaired out of the water.
Definitely going to be beached.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 11:11 PM

For Airboy and his Riverboat fixation

Edmonton Riverboat to be dry docked and fixed in Whitemud Park: Crew
https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/edmonton...crew-1.4962722

Quote:
EDMONTON -- After a rough spring, the Edmonton Riverboat has arrived at its new temporary home at the mouth of Whitemud Creek.

The boat was damaged at its usual dock in downtown Edmonton in April, when officials said rapidly rising water dropped the boat on to a series of underwater pillars, one of which punctured the hull.

The boat was then towed to Whitemud Park on Saturday.

On Sunday, workers at the site told CTV News Edmonton that the plan is to build a dry dock in Whitemud Park, so that the boat can be removed from the North Saskatchewan River and fixed on the shore.

The private owner of the boat previously said it will not be in service this summer, but the hope was to have it fixed and cruising again in 2021.

The Edmonton Riverboat was originally known as the Edmonton Queen.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 3:56 PM
Community Guy

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton