HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
I don't know how many forumers who appreciate the photography forums have noticed today that the Argentinian threads in both A-M and N-Z have been constantly bumped to the top of each forum by the creator of those threads. The Buenos Aires thread has several posts like this today http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...5&postcount=73 with no photos. It appears this person is hell bent on having their threads at the top of each forum. I believe this behaviour jeopardizes the integrity of the photo forums. We need to come up with a plan for people who want to update threads several times a day or week.
We can all cite examples of this, a forumer called Pallo had a weeks holiday in cuba and spent the next 6 months showing us all. I felt like I had been on holiday with him!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fern View Post
We can all cite examples of this, a forumer called Pallo had a weeks holiday in cuba and spent the next 6 months showing us all. I felt like I had been on holiday with him!
Sounds like there are a lot of people that are frustrated with the constantly bumped and updated threads. Any chance we can start moving towards a fix?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 8:03 PM

Well A-M can hold up to 50 threads and likewise with N-Z....so we have a 100 threads to view on any one day and you could say that the "update/pump" threads roughly take up 20 out of the 100.So its not really a problem and looking at the two pages it takes about a week+ for a thread to go from the top of the page to the bottom and thats going by comments.As said before there are some class "update" threads from Bedhead,Desertdriver etc.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 1:33 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

How about an extra forum where a photothread can be promoted to (moved) once they have reached a certain number of comments (by forumers other than the OP)? It can be drawn from the two My City and the General forums. The condition is that the thread cannot be one of those bump add a few turds kind of thread, it needs to be genuinely good quality.

That way people might be encouraged / have incentive to actually post quality threads.

Flickr®

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 7:13 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
How about an extra forum where a photothread can be promoted to (moved) once they have reached a certain number of comments (by forumers other than the OP)? It can be drawn from the two My City and the General forums. The condition is that the thread cannot be one of those bump add a few turds kind of thread, it needs to be genuinely good quality.

That way people might be encouraged / have incentive to actually post quality threads.
I kind of like that idea, Tony. Not too shabby!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 8:30 PM
Red October standing by

Quote:

didn't this get floated a few years ago?

-

-fflint

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 10:52 AM
International

What's with the forumer "IMBY" bumping 20 3-5 year old threads at a time in the My City Photos section? Somebody needs to pull his coat.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 1:25 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
What's with the forumer "IMBY" bumping 20 3-5 year old threads at a time in the My City Photos section? Somebody needs to pull his coat.
Agreed. Not cool, and it will be dealt with.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 11:29 PM
Red October standing by

Quote:
i missed this madness; what was he bumping?

remember on VE day last year when a ukranian forumer bumped every german thread with a picture of the soviet flag on the reichstag? that was annoying.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd View Post
didn't this get floated a few years ago?

-
It did? Damn... I don't remember that at all.

Maybe Dylan knows a way of doing some thread rating thing in vBulletin.

Flickr®

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 7:19 PM

^^thread rating, that's what I was thinking. Lots of forums use that.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 9:35 PM
Red October standing by

Quote:
i see it now...and it looks like he's been doing it for the past month or so.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 9:03 PM
Red October standing by

Quote:
It did? Damn... I don't remember that at all.

Maybe Dylan knows a way of doing some thread rating thing in vBulletin.
i think that's why we have thread archive

-

-fflint

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd View Post
neah, I don't think the Archive is really for that. It's just a depository for threads that have become too large and unwieldy to go through.

Flickr®

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 4:25 PM
Paradise Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Agreed. Not cool, and it will be dealt with.

Aaron (Glowrock)
He just bumped 16 old theads to the top of the A-M section. I think it is cool when the occasional old thread returns but that is obnoxious. If he isn't stopped he is going to bury all the current ones.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 12:08 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

I am in agreement with the rest of you about old threads being bumped and also about IMBY. He must get drunk and search out random old threads to bump. I notice a lot of newer threads in A-M have been buried in the 2nd page mainly because of him and I can attest that putting a photo thread together takes a lot of work and time.

There should be another sub-forum within the photography area for older threads and a place for people to post their "once more" and constantly updated threads.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 3:22 AM

As for this forum have less stickies in it!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 12:06 AM

Quote:
There should be another sub-forum within the photography area for older threads and a place for people to post their "once more" and constantly updated threads.
I think this is a great idea and would solve the issue of the constantly updated threads clogging the forum and the old threads being brought back to life.

Instead of A-M and N-Z, divide the photo forum into threads newer than 1 or 2 weeks and threads older than 1 or 2 weeks. Is it possible to achieve this with the current BBC code?

As for the stickies, a lot of them could go:
  • The photo contest voting ended a month ago and that thread is still up.
  • General Chat is fine
  • Is it even worth having this thread? It seems that all the suggestions have been ignored so far.
  • Getting to know your SSP photogs - last interview was Oct 6th.
  • Your rights as a photographer - I think this can be killed. Maybe others find it useful.
  • Post your gear thread - ok
  • Another photo contest sticky?
  • Past contest winners - last updated sep 21st. If it's not going to be updated unsticky it and let it die.

A 'How to make a photothread' sticky could be useful. I see lots of new users posting pics with links stored on their hard drives, one link to a flickr set, etc. Even experienced users have issues finding tools to link to multiple photos etc. BTW this site is a huge time saver:

http://includr.vispillo.org/#

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 12:00 PM
Red October standing by

-fflint

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 1:36 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okayyou View Post
I think this is a great idea and would solve the issue of the constantly updated threads clogging the forum and the old threads being brought back to life.

Instead of A-M and N-Z, divide the photo forum into threads newer than 1 or 2 weeks and threads older than 1 or 2 weeks. Is it possible to achieve this with the current BBC code?

As for the stickies, a lot of them could go:
  • The photo contest voting ended a month ago and that thread is still up.
  • General Chat is fine
  • Is it even worth having this thread? It seems that all the suggestions have been ignored so far.
  • Getting to know your SSP photogs - last interview was Oct 6th.
  • Your rights as a photographer - I think this can be killed. Maybe others find it useful.
  • Post your gear thread - ok
  • Another photo contest sticky?
  • Past contest winners - last updated sep 21st. If it's not going to be updated unsticky it and let it die.
A 'How to make a photothread' sticky could be useful. I see lots of new users posting pics with links stored on their hard drives, one link to a flickr set, etc. Even experienced users have issues finding tools to link to multiple photos etc. BTW this site is a huge time saver:

http://includr.vispillo.org/#
Sorry about a few of those...Been bad on the updating of the photothreads lately... That will change, though.

Aaron (Glowrock)

edit: If I actually knew how to make some of those changes, Okayyou, I'd do them. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to code in vbulletin. Perhaps someone can assist in making some of those changes?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography