HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 9:57 PM

^^You aren't confused. I was--I couldn't find it and guessed it didn't have a thread because it may not be tall enough. Will, post the photo in the thread.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 1:30 AM
heavy user of walkability

OK, great, thanks for clarifying.

some random things from this last weekend...

the floating firehouse

Folsom canyon, not backlit for once

speaking of Folsom, it was nice to see signs of life at the ground-floor retail of 400 Folsom (Avery)

the Guy Place Mini-park (just up the hill from Folsom off... First?) is open. I didn't take pics inside because there was a yoga class going on when I was there

random Second St shot

Serif (also not backlit for once)

with a glimpse of some its new neighbors down the street

those neighbors

supportive housing on Mission near 7th

the little one across from the former Flax site on Market, just cause the light was better than usual (have I mentioned not backlit?)

Van Ness

moving south to north...

I'd been getting concerned because all the construction on Van Ness didn't seem to be getting to the final blocks closest to Market, but that is no longer the case:

as we move up the hill we start to get some idea of what it will look like when done

in front of new 1001 Van Ness and near CPMC

even the sidewalks look about done in some places (though I would say this was the exception. it was hard for me to discern a pattern of why some things were done and others not)

looking south

at least in some cases it seems they are trying to preserve existing median trees. I seem to remember that was a point of contention when planning this

don't remember the address of this one on Franklin, or whether we had seen it completed, but here you go

south again, from north of the Holiday Inn

having crested the hill, looking down toward northern waterfront

more sidewalk

new one at Union St

if this is a typical example of a boarding platform, I dig it

again looking south

median plantings in progress?

construction ends a couple blocks before Lombard. this is from Greenwich

speaking of Lombard, it is looking fairly spiffy these days

jumping over to Union Square area, former Macy's Men's

looking a bit more official, the Muni station entrance at... well, you can see.

I've always sort of wondered why they didn't put the entrance at the corner of 4th and Folsom, where it would be more visible and connect better to the east-west thoroughfare that Folsom is. there will be affordable housing on the corner, but it seems to make more sense to have kind of swapped the two. this is the corner:

the infill on Fourth near Folsom

4th and Brannan station looks about done

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 1:57 AM

Wow, you really got around! Thanks for all the updates here and on the individual project pages--much appreciated.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
I'd been getting concerned because all the construction on Van Ness didn't seem to be getting to the final blocks closest to Market, but that is no longer the case:
Clearly their schedule calls for the segment from Golden Gate Ave south to be the last paved. I suspect they didn't want to be doing this project at the same time as 1550 Mission and 30 Otis but those are wrapped or wrapping up now.

Quote:
even the sidewalks look about done in some places (though I would say this was the exception. it was hard for me to discern a pattern of why some things were done and others not)
Me too--I've been watching this literally for years now and why they put pavers in some places and not others is mysterious. Presumably they aren't putting them where they may still need access to something below ground but why that's true in some places and not others remains mysterious.

Quote:
at least in some cases it seems they are trying to preserve existing median trees. I seem to remember that was a point of contention when planning this
The effort has not been very successful. They killed about half the 30 year-old trees in front of my building and none of them look healthy any more. And oddly they haven't yet bothered to remove the dead ones. It's going to look very weird with some nearly mature trees on the block and some saplings.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 3:04 AM
你的媽媽

Excellent updates Tim!

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 5:15 PM

and thank you guys for the kind words - keeps me going! I enjoy the site and everyone's contributions, even if I don't say so as often as I feel it

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 9:58 PM

AMAZING photos around the city! MVP in photos for SF forum

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 11:00 PM
Show me the blueprints

Looking good. Was there no interest in or investigation of selling the air rights above the Central Subway headhouses for res development or did the construction logistics make that impracticable?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Looking good. Was there no interest in or investigation of selling the air rights above the Central Subway headhouses for res development or did the construction logistics make that impracticable?
My recollection is that there was a development plan, but this is all that I could find, from 2015:

https://sfmohcd.org/sites/default/fi...20Analysis.pdf

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
My recollection is that there was a development plan, but this is all that I could find, from 2015:

https://sfmohcd.org/sites/default/fi...20Analysis.pdf
thanks for that. so part of the answer about the orientation/placement might lie in the fact that they were hoping to develop the corner parcel in combination with the adjacent parcel to the west on Folsom as a way to allow a larger building and better $$ return. (not sure if that is still in the cards. edit: I guess not)

as for the answer to Busy Bee's question of why they couldn't incorporate the station entrance into the base of a building with floors above, this implies it was a timing issue, that perhaps the station/subway project was designed before the possibility of development really coalesced.

Last edited by timbad; May 12, 2021 at 7:35 PM. Reason: noted

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 7:49 PM
Show me the blueprints

^ That's kinda what I figured. It reminds me of the Dey St subway entrance in Lower Manhattan where the much more appropriate outcome should have been the entrance in the base of a high rise development built as a partnership/in conjunction with the MTA.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 5:03 AM

Amazing updates Timbad. It looks completely different as someone who has not been downtown in months. I'm hoping to go back into the office sooner rather than later.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 6:59 AM

I haven't been all the way to the bay at the north end of Van Ness but from pictures I've seen of that far northern part and what I have seen in person (basically from California St. south) it seems like they poured the last segment of the red bus lanes of the Van Ness BRT north of Golden Gate Ave today and I also saw them finally building forms for boarding islands and other concrete work between Golden Gate and Market today.

So it does appear that if they keep at it they could have the hardscape done by summer's end. I do wonder when they'll get serious about doing the pavers on both sides of Van Ness and in some of the boarding islands they haven't done (random portions seem to have been done but with little observable pattern as others have noted).

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 7:22 PM
你的媽媽

Nice little infill project. Site currently occupied by several small businesses:
https://goo.gl/maps/3DDexvvKW2JDzPbc9

On the Sutter St side:
https://goo.gl/maps/ZnisBU1fjKBNCfbHA

Quote:
Shadow Study Submitted For 570 Market Street, Financial District, San Francisco
BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:00 AM ON MAY 6, 2021

Planning Department records show that the shadow study is underway for a new 29-story hotel at 570 Market Street in San Francisco’s Financial District. The process has mired smaller projects throughout the city’s history with contentious Planning Commission votes. The skinny tower is expected to create 240 new guest rooms along with ground-level retail and public space. This latest activity shows progress for a proposal that has been under review since 2017. The Frontier Group is the project developer.

The 330-foot structure will yield 155,640 square feet, with 126,820 square feet for hotel use, 4,350 square feet of ground-level retail, and 4,195 square feet for privately owned public open space, or POPOS. There will be no on-site vehicle parking, though there will be room for 17 bicycles and an interior lot for freight loading and a tour bus. Guest amenities will include a fitness center and outdoor yoga studio deck on the 18th floor.

A portion of that public space, 3,540 square feet, will be located on an outdoor terrace on the 15th floor. The landscape architecture firm, dwg., is designing the mid-tower deck. Embracing the unique constrained shape of the proposed hotel, the studio writes that “the terrace is informed by the narrow trapezoidal shape of the lot, positioning a perched platform at the corner to take advantage of the stunning views toward the Embarcadero and the Bay beyond.” The terrace will function as a lounge and an outdoor bar.
https://sfyimby.com/2021/05/shadow-s...francisco.html

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 7:54 PM

New Imagery Revealed For Park Habitat At 180 Park Avenue, Downtown San Jose

BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:30 AM ON MAY 14, 2021

https://sfyimby.com/2021/05/new-imag...-san-jose.html

Last edited by Berzerk; May 14, 2021 at 8:06 PM.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerk View Post
BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:30 AM ON MAY 14, 2021
Your post is about a project in San Jose, which has its own thread. This here is the San Francisco thread.

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 7:54 AM

do you know the way...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
... San Jose... has its own thread. ...
here

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
Video Link

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 6:15 PM

300 De Haro as presented by SF YIMBY: https://sfyimby.com/2021/05/new-rend...francisco.html

I gave it a thread even though I strongly suspect the Potrero Hill dwellers will somehow get it cut down in size: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...94#post9285394

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 6:20 PM

^^The design is pretty bleh but this little area at the base of Potrero Hill needs to be filled wall-to-wall with projects of similar density. Right now it's a complete missed opportunity of low density in a great location.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations