HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 3:34 AM

For the first time since the pandemic began, I have COVID. I've tested multiple times and always been negative. Not today. No symptoms outside of a slight headache.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 5:03 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. View Post
For the first time since the pandemic began, I have COVID. I've tested multiple times and always been negative. Not today. No symptoms outside of a slight headache.
Sounds like you got the 'cron.

Thoughts and prayers.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 9:00 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that’s what I had in early December. It’s a cold now.

Did you ever get an antibody test before you were vaccinated though? Because you could have had an asymptomatic case before and just didn’t happen to catch it with a test at the time.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 2:20 PM
The City

Quote:
A non-event, as expected.

It's really time for people to drop this nonsense. Stop testing people, stop the handouts to Abbott Labs and others for perpetuating what has become a veritable mythology at this point.

Luckily more people are waking up to this. Although I almost never watch CNN, even Brian Stelter was discussing this on his broadcast this past Sunday.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 2:23 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Sounds like you got the 'cron.

Thoughts and prayers.

Ok.....

I heard that Omicron is expected to infect 50% of the population over the next 6-8 weeks

I love it. Bring it on.

But I'm sure that the dipshit brigade (ie our current "leaders" and the CDC) are going to cling desperately to the mythology that this is the plague of doom and that we need to do everything we can to stop it from spreading

Test, test, test, test, then retest, retest, retest, retest.... Act like you have autism and run in circles while you're at it. Go crazy! Buy 500 million more tests from Abbott Labs and then just go PRINT MORE MONEY!!!!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
A non-event, as expected.

It's really time for people to drop this nonsense. Stop testing people, stop the handouts to Abbott Labs and others for perpetuating what has become a veritable mythology at this point.

Luckily more people are waking up to this. Although I almost never watch CNN, even Brian Stelter was discussing this on his broadcast this past Sunday.
Did you see that the federal government will now require insurance companies to pay for EIGHT (8) at-home tests per month per covered individual?

I can’t be bothered to find the article but it was in the NYT.

That’s what’s going to drive up your insurance costs, whoever was complaining about that. Even if they cost $20 each that’s $160/mo. that insurance companies are potentially on the hook for every covered person, and that’s obviously going to be passed on through premiums.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 3:29 PM
The City

^ Yeah, it's nonsense. Our so-called leaders just need to stop, they are a total menace to society. I can only hope that this is a temporary arrangement for only a month or two.

I for sure will not be doing any testing on myself except for in a few scenarios. Just plain dumb.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 3:41 PM
The City

I'm on a personal boycott of all entities that contribute to the COVID mass delusion.

For example, I am hanging onto my money and not spending on the following:

1. Any international destinations. I will not travel abroad as long as they require COVID tests to go, or to return, the the US. Dumb.

2. I will not buy tickets to any theatre or show, or performance, if they state that they have the right to cancel "in case of COVID concerns". You ain't getting my money, I hope you go out of business. I used to attend Chicago theatre shows a lot. Now, fuck em, maybe the actors will find jobs down in Florida or Texas.

3. I will not pay to watch any concerts or attend any events that previously were done in person but are now being held virtually "due to COVID concerns". I will not spend a penny of my money in order to stare at my computer screen.

If anybody else feels the same way, join my boycott.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 5:02 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
I don't support businesses that demand wearing useless masks and that includes theaters and museums that require it.

Although I find now that if a business states that you must wear a mask before entering I usually don't and nobody says a thing. The way to end this insanity is if people just stop doing what they are told.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 6:41 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

Ok.....

I heard that Omicron is expected to infect 50% of the population over the next 6-8 weeks

I love it. Bring it on.

But I'm sure that the dipshit brigade (ie our current "leaders" and the CDC) are going to cling desperately to the mythology that this is the plague of doom and that we need to do everything we can to stop it from spreading

Test, test, test, test, then retest, retest, retest, retest.... Act like you have autism and run in circles while you're at it. Go crazy! Buy 500 million more tests from Abbott Labs and then just go PRINT MORE MONEY!!!!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 7:12 PM
The City

^

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 7:14 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
^
I don't support businesses that demand wearing useless masks and that includes theaters and museums that require it.

Although I find now that if a business states that you must wear a mask before entering I usually don't and nobody says a thing. The way to end this insanity is if people just stop doing what they are told.
^ That's not feasible in Illinois because we have a statewide mask mandate.

Anyhow, I don't have much of a beef with masks as of now, but even with masks + vaccines + boosters this mythology of COVID still being a death sentence is just pure mass delusion out of a SciFi movie.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 7:18 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Yes and the constant fear mongering over hospitals being overran is mostly non sense spready by the media. Sure some hospitals are overran but overall, hospitals are not.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 7:31 PM
The City

^ Our hospital is more full than it was during the original run of COVID.

However, that doesn't change anything. Omicron is thankfully spreading fast, but sadly a tiny percentage of those infected are getting ill, with mostly the unvaccinated bearing the brunt of this effect.

Still, our efforts at mitigation are nothing short of meaningless displays. Total waste of time, and as we all know they are greatly harmful to commerce. But dumb behavior always takes a long time to end. People need to do their ritualistic dumb shit to make themselves feel better, at least until they get tired of it. So here we are....

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 7:59 PM

My kid's preschool is shut down two weeks bc one kid tested positive. And asymptomatic.

The school is intentionally set up so that none of the classes ever interact, so what is the point of shutting everything down for the other classes? Oh, I know, the email begins "Out of an abundance of caution...". Only the billionth time I've heard that the last two years. At least the preschool is still getting its $750 a week.

The idiocy, on both extremes, never ends. Wouldn't it be very odd if a preschool with 100 or so students, teachers and employees had zero positive cases during this wave?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
^

That’s what is happening over here to an extent. The Brits are rule followers but they also avoid conflict, so if you just walk in somewhere without a mask (including trains) no one says a thing.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 8:07 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
My kid's preschool is shut down two weeks bc one kid tested positive. And asymptomatic.

The school is intentionally set up so that none of the classes ever interact, so what is the point of shutting everything down for the other classes? Oh, I know, the email begins "Out of an abundance of caution...". Only the billionth time I've heard that the last two years. At least the preschool is still getting its $750 a week.

The idiocy, on both extremes, never ends. Wouldn't it be very odd if a preschool with 100 or so students, teachers and employees had zero positive cases during this wave?
Wait. So you have to pay them even though they are shirking their job "out of an abundance of caution..." Jesus, what a racket they got going on.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 8:09 PM

New Orleans will reinstitute a mask mandate tomorrow. This has nothing to do with science, but is instead a political move to show "safety" during Carnival season. Omicron actually peaked here in late December, and there has been a trend of fewer cases on more tests for the past several days. Growth in hospitalizations have also slowed as less people are testing positive when they come in after getting shot during a carjacking.

218 people were murdered vs. 295 died of COVID in the city last year, but the mayor isn't doing anything about the skyrocketing crime rate. The masks are actually helping the criminals since someone walking around with a mask on is just commonplace now. Very ironic in my opinion.

I was fine with showing proof of vaccination, but reinstating the mask mandate serves no real purpose (unless everyone is forced to buy N95 masks.) Needless to say, I will not be dining or soliciting any business in the city until this mask mandate ends. My money will go to the excellent local restaurants in the surrounding suburbs. I'll go watch a parade on St. Charles avenue during the peak of Carnival in late Feb., but I'll bring my own snacks and drinks.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 8:12 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
New Orleans will reinstitute a mask mandate tomorrow. This has nothing to do with science, but is instead a political move to show "safety" during Carnival season. Omicron actually peaked here in late December, and there has been a trend of fewer cases on more tests for the past several days. Growth in hospitalizations have also slowed as less people are testing positive when they come in after getting shot during a carjacking.

218 people were murdered vs. 295 died of COVID in the city last year, but the mayor isn't doing anything about the skyrocketing crime rate. The masks are actually helping the criminals since someone walking around with a mask on is just commonplace now. Very ironic in my opinion.

I was fine with showing proof of vaccination, but reinstating the mask mandate serves no real purpose (unless everyone is forced to by N95 masks.) Needless to say, I will not be dining or soliciting any business in the city until this mask mandate ends. My money will go the excellent local restaurants in the surrounding suburbs. I'll go watch a parade on St. Charles avenue during the peak of Carnival in late Feb., but I'll bring my own snacks and drinks.
I was there a few months ago and the vax requirement seemed like a logical solution to ditch masks and feel reasonably safe. Sounds like theater to bring them back and then still show proof of vaccination. Also, a good way to kill business even further with Mardi Gras/ Fat Tuesday around the corner.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I was there a few months ago and the vax requirement seemed like a logical solution to ditch masks and feel reasonably safe. Sounds like theater to bring them back and then still show proof of vaccination. Also, a good way to kill business even further with Mardi Gras/ Fat Tuesday around the corner.
This mandate will absolutely kill the drive in market from surrounding states. The vaccine mandate was already having a chilling effect, but this will just tank tourism numbers even further. Everyone is better off going to Mobile for Mardi Gras this year. If anyone decides to come here, stick to Metairie for the Mardi Gras parades. No vax or mask mandate there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions