HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 6:12 PM

Don't know if this was posted before, BC housing is looking to build a 20 storey tower across the street from Bernard block:

https://letstalkhousingbc.ca/kelowna-bertram

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 7:25 PM

This part of town will have 2 condo towers(Bernard Block), a mixed-condo/rental building (2020), and an affordable rental building, along with the Bernard Block office tower. Great diversity.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
This part of town will have 2 condo towers(Bernard Block), a mixed-condo/rental building (2020), and an affordable rental building, along with the Bernard Block office tower. Great diversity.
It's going to be good to have the increased foot traffic on Bernard further from the lake. Also it's going to be quite a walkable area with the nearby Safeway and Shoppers Drug Mart

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 12:54 AM
ARTchitecture

Here's the render of the rental tower...

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 12:20 PM

Downtown Kelowna really needs another supermarket considering it's going to be adding thousands of long term residents to this area. That little Safeway is not enough.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelownaResident View Post
Downtown Kelowna really needs another supermarket considering it's going to be adding thousands of long term residents to this area. That little Safeway is not enough.
I think they are making a market over by One Water Street in the old OK Builders site. It’s a start at least!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 11:05 PM

I hope more large scale stores get added to downtown with all of these projects. There are amazing restaurants but the shopping is kinda meh.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 5:29 AM

Since it's been more than 24 hours without a new tower proposal, I'll just fill the void with a photo update from the weekend.

Landmark 7

One Water St

Brooklyn and Ella

Last edited by kev_427; Jan 18, 2021 at 5:46 AM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 6:33 AM

Great update, thanks!

I am guessing that blank wall of the parkade podium facing highway 97 suggests another future project replacing the District Market building.

Just hope that in the meantime they paint or clad that wall.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 6:27 PM

Those are great shots. Can't remember the last time I was in Kelowna. Might need to make a trip.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 9:22 PM

That wall is going to be an eyesore until then.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 1:54 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Thanks for the update!

Here's an interview with a Kelowna city planner talking about the recently-proposed 46 storey tower.

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
That wall is going to be an eyesore until then.
It's pretty bad that it's mostly what you see of landmark 7 from Harvey. They really need to do a mural or something to it

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 2:46 AM

Thanks for the vid.

Yeah, that wall is a prime spot for a mural.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 7:45 PM

Landmark

Wow, that concrete wall. I sure hope there's a plan for that. If it's just a mural or paint, then shame on the developer. Anyone know?

The whole complex is hideous. Exactly what happens when Provincial meddling gets in the way of local planning. The developer gets concessions that no council should ever grant.

Council MUST hold out for higher architectural standards wherever it has that power.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 8:25 PM

Great update, thank you!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 9:34 PM

Landmark

Looking closely, there appear to be some weld plates embedded in the concrete face, but it's hard to tell. That would point to something being attached to the wall in the future (glass facade or other appurtenance). I agree that it is likely that the master plan puts another building there, otherwise the blank wall is inexplicable. However, if that future building is not yet approved and may potentially be years away, then it's a terribly arrogant maneuver by the developer. If the market turns and it doesn't make sense to complete that District Market replacement building for many years, it will be seen as an urban blight until then. Citizens years in the future would one day cheer that "the wall" is finally going away.

God forbid this will be turned into a billboard.

Of course, they may have an immediate or short term plan for it, which would be just fine.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starv100 View Post
Looking closely, there appear to be some weld plates embedded in the concrete face, but it's hard to tell. That would point to something being attached to the wall in the future (glass facade or other appurtenance). I agree that it is likely that the master plan puts another building there, otherwise the blank wall is inexplicable. However, if that future building is not yet approved and may potentially be years away, then it's a terribly arrogant maneuver by the developer. If the market turns and it doesn't make sense to complete that District Market replacement building for many years, it will be seen as an urban blight until then. Citizens years in the future would one day cheer that "the wall" is finally going away.

God forbid this will be turned into a billboard.

Of course, they may have an immediate or short term plan for it, which would be just fine.
I would love to see a “living wall” of some type with greenery covering it...however, I suppose that wouldn’t help much during the winter.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009 View Post
It's pretty bad that it's mostly what you see of landmark 7 from Harvey. They really need to do a mural or something to it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Great update, thanks!

I am guessing that blank wall of the parkade podium facing highway 97 suggests another future project replacing the District Market building.

Just hope that in the meantime they paint or clad that wall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starv100 View Post
Wow, that concrete wall. I sure hope there's a plan for that. If it's just a mural or paint, then shame on the developer. Anyone know?

The whole complex is hideous. Exactly what happens when Provincial meddling gets in the way of local planning. The developer gets concessions that no council should ever grant.

Council MUST hold out for higher architectural standards wherever it has that power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerbush View Post
I would love to see a “living wall” of some type with greenery covering it...however, I suppose that wouldn’t help much during the winter.

Looks like painted concrete and glass if the buildings website is anything to go off of.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 7:28 PM

Everyone I talked to regarding the 46 storey tower proposal is talking about how the infrastructure is inadequate for all these buildings. Namely lack of transit, roads, places to go grocery shopping downtown. Granted two of the naysayers are from out of town and all they see is Harvey Ave which many locals know not to take especially during tourist season in the afternoon. The lack of grocery options is valid. At some point, one of these tower proposals is going to have to include a major shopping tenant as an option.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia