HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Whats with everyones boners for skyscrapers???

Id rather downtown have no buildings over 4 floors if the downtown was a live an populated like Mill or Downtown Scottsdale. Skyscrapers dont do anything besides look nice on a postcard.
But downtown isn't like Mill or downtown Scottsdale.

So, if I'm not gonna get the liveliness of Mill, give me the postcard.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 8:36 PM

Quote:

Id rather downtown have no buildings over 4 floors if the downtown was a live an populated like Mill or Downtown Scottsdale. Skyscrapers dont do anything besides look nice on a postcard.
Props for getting boners into your post ... always a good one. But, regarding your questions. This is skyscraperpage, I'm sure you know. There aren't many forums about 4-story buildings.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevininPhx View Post
Props for getting boners into your post ... always a good one. But, regarding your questions. This is skyscraperpage, I'm sure you know. There aren't many forums about 4-story buildings.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 5:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:

Skyscrapers do tend to create lifeless zones in our most successful cities. Even if they're residential buildings, they're essentially gated communities where everyone drives to/from to escape their surroundings to better locales. Has 44 Monroe created any kind of vibrancy at all?

I'd love to see DTPhx develop a dense, walkable grid of 4-8 story structures just outside of the core. Places like Garfield should become a great neighborhood with a mish/mash of dense developments on the empty lots mixed with old SFHs that have survived.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 12:29 PM

Edit.

Last edited by Jjs5056; Aug 13, 2014 at 2:47 PM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
I'd love to see DTPhx develop a dense, walkable grid of 4-8 story structures just outside of the core. Places like Garfield should become a great neighborhood with a mish/mash of dense developments on the empty lots mixed with old SFHs that have survived.
I agree, and I think this is our only hope to having great cohesive neighborhoods and a nice urban city we can be proud of. It's slowly happening in Roosevelt and Evans Churchill (which will not have nearly as good of a mix as Roosevelt as most of the old homes are gone, save a couple select blocks).

Seriously though, what's the deal with the Union? I'm so looking forward to that taking up that empty lot. It will really tie together Roosevelt east and west of Central.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 3:38 PM

I posted about the Union a few weeks back. I have a couple clients who have recently signed contracts with the general for different trades. Last I heard, those clients were expecting work to start relatively soon.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westbev93 View Post
I posted about the Union a few weeks back. I have a couple clients who have recently signed contracts with the general for different trades. Last I heard, those clients were expecting work to start relatively soon.
Breaking ground in the fall along with the town homes, I spoke with one of the partners of Metrowest for a class.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
I agree, and I think this is our only hope to having great cohesive neighborhoods and a nice urban city we can be proud of. It's slowly happening in Roosevelt and Evans Churchill (which will not have nearly as good of a mix as Roosevelt as most of the old homes are gone, save a couple select blocks).

Seriously though, what's the deal with the Union? I'm so looking forward to that taking up that empty lot. It will really tie together Roosevelt east and west of Central.
Phoenix is not comparable to downtown Tempe or Scottsdale; both of those cities had walkable downtowns, with building stock in place and a pedestrian-scaled grid form (vs. superblock formation) setting the stage for the surge of investment seen today. These downtowns have gone through numerous transformations before settling into the distinctive destinations they are now - Scottsdale with its eclectic old west vs. modern luxury, overlaid with upscale shopping and unmatched art, dining, hospitality, and nightlife; Tempe took a chance on the lake and is seeing it pay off - in combination with progressive, urban policies, the neighborhoods adjacent to downtown have densified while increased height and amenities develop around Mill Ave, the Lake, and ASU. That's why we are seeing true midrise, urban development in both cities, and high rise development in the case of Tempe. Downtown Phoenix, OTOH, lacks any identity or differentiator that makes it the 'best of' in any category. Its new investments have been great, but infrastructure (light rail), and amenities for the tax-base (convention center) do little to create a 'something' that isn't there, and the BIG IDEA projects have only blasted away historic building stock for a sterile, hot, uninviting built environment.

If every lot downtown was filled with 4-story development, we'd have a forever-dead center city. Phoenix doesn't have the surrounding neighborhoods that Tempe and Scottsdale have; it bombed away its Chinatown, its Mexican Barrios, and its Arts District - all now creating miles of uninhabited land on the border. 4-story developments are nowhere near the kind of density needed now as the city plays catch up. The tunnel vision in creating the Biomedical and ASU campuses at all costs have created a whole bunch of obstacles and it doesn't seem like a long-term plan is on anyone's agenda. The Biomedical Campus should have never been able to extend past Fillmore. This new residential project will eventually be swallowed up by single-use medical buildings instead of mixed use midrises, and live/work townhomes transitioning into the adapted single-family homes that should've created a vibrant Evans Churchill feeding the Roosevelt Arts District. With so many lots dedicated to single-story, single-use buildings, downtown needs to grow bigger/taller or start redeveloping the wasted space (hi, Met and St. Croix).

Also, while I agree that skyscrapers don't create a vibrant street life, a vibrant street life isn't possible without skyscrapers. Where were the residents of 44M supposed to go exactly? 44M never rented its retail, and the surrounding area is mainly commercial/hotel. But, I bet (and know from 1st hand experience) that many residents attend First Fridays, go to places like Bliss and Rumbar, etc. But, there's no Mill Ave which took off the second W6 opened or a W Hotel-anchored Entertainment District being infilled now with condos and apartments like there is in Scottsdale. Everyone hates my obsession with retail, but the current sporadic pattern is going to leave downtown with nowhere for street life to even exist. Roosevelt is too much of a niche to be a real shopping street and CityScape is more of a nightlife/tourist attraction; Central should've been the main street of contiguous shopping, with neighborhood retail/services along Fillmore.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 4:30 PM

In other news, there are so many properties are for sale/lease that would go a long way in creating a more connected and dense area. It's too bad developers aren't at all bullish on downtown:

1) Roosevelt/3rd: the former Scientology building; this building is for sale, and is such a barrier in the Roosevelt Row fabric. Office space with residential above and ground-level restaurants would make for a great, local-driven entry from the 3rd exit instead of an 80s replica and asphalt.
2) McKinley/2nd-3rd: there is a small, 2 or 3-story office building across from McKinley Row up for sale; a perfect example of an opportunity to start creating a sense of place - a 5ish story residential project with ground level retail, along with the new development on 4th would be the start of a good destination street.
3) Circles on Central/McKinley: there are always rumors that this space is about to be leased, but even with Colliers confirming that they are pushing hard to lease this space, it hasn't gone anywhere since 2007ish. I still wish the H&M rumors panned out from a few years back.
4) 3rd St/Garfield-McKinley: The Tavern has yet to reopen in its new incarnation, the other house next door is for lease, and there's available land on both sides of the street. If the 2 historic homes on 4th/5th and Pierce get demolished for Biomedical when they'd go perfectly on this strip, I'll lose it. Taverns/Pubs/Restaurants/Live Theaters in the homes and townhomes on the empty lots would create a nice hub of activity with Filmbar and the Ale House just west.
5) 828 N 2nd - former Coffee Shop directly behind Matt's Big Breakfast.
6) Old Matt's Big Breakfast site - gave the Coronado a less seedy vibe... will it ever be replaced?

Last edited by Jjs5056; Aug 13, 2014 at 4:46 PM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Phoenix is not comparable to downtown Tempe or Scottsdale; both of those cities had walkable downtowns, with building stock in place and a pedestrian-scaled grid form (vs. superblock formation) setting the stage for the surge of investment seen today. These downtowns have gone through numerous transformations before settling into the distinctive destinations they are now - Scottsdale with its eclectic old west vs. modern luxury, overlaid with upscale shopping and unmatched art, dining, hospitality, and nightlife; Tempe took a chance on the lake and is seeing it pay off - in combination with progressive, urban policies, the neighborhoods adjacent to downtown have densified while increased height and amenities develop around Mill Ave, the Lake, and ASU. That's why we are seeing true midrise, urban development in both cities, and high rise development in the case of Tempe. Downtown Phoenix, OTOH, lacks any identity or differentiator that makes it the 'best of' in any category. Its new investments have been great, but infrastructure (light rail), and amenities for the tax-base (convention center) do little to create a 'something' that isn't there, and the BIG IDEA projects have only blasted away historic building stock for a sterile, hot, uninviting built environment.

If every lot downtown was filled with 4-story development, we'd have a forever-dead center city. Phoenix doesn't have the surrounding neighborhoods that Tempe and Scottsdale have; it bombed away its Chinatown, its Mexican Barrios, and its Arts District - all now creating miles of uninhabited land on the border. 4-story developments are nowhere near the kind of density needed now as the city plays catch up. The tunnel vision in creating the Biomedical and ASU campuses at all costs have created a whole bunch of obstacles and it doesn't seem like a long-term plan is on anyone's agenda. The Biomedical Campus should have never been able to extend past Fillmore. This new residential project will eventually be swallowed up by single-use medical buildings instead of mixed use midrises, and live/work townhomes transitioning into the adapted single-family homes that should've created a vibrant Evans Churchill feeding the Roosevelt Arts District. With so many lots dedicated to single-story, single-use buildings, downtown needs to grow bigger/taller or start redeveloping the wasted space (hi, Met and St. Croix).

Also, while I agree that skyscrapers don't create a vibrant street life, a vibrant street life isn't possible without skyscrapers. Where were the residents of 44M supposed to go exactly? 44M never rented its retail, and the surrounding area is mainly commercial/hotel. But, I bet (and know from 1st hand experience) that many residents attend First Fridays, go to places like Bliss and Rumbar, etc. But, there's no Mill Ave which took off the second W6 opened or a W Hotel-anchored Entertainment District being infilled now with condos and apartments like there is in Scottsdale. Everyone hates my obsession with retail, but the current sporadic pattern is going to leave downtown with nowhere for street life to even exist. Roosevelt is too much of a niche to be a real shopping street and CityScape is more of a nightlife/tourist attraction; Central should've been the main street of contiguous shopping, with neighborhood retail/services along Fillmore.
I still think Central (from ASU north to the park) and Roosevelt (between the 7s) (and a couple streets on either side) could form a nice set of shoulders and spine for downtown Phoenix. Who knows, maybe even lower Grand will be an arm. Fill in the rest of the area with dense low rise mixed in with the existing remaining historic single family homes and you'd have a great downtown I would be proud of.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 4:40 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
In other news, there are so many properties are for sale/lease that would go a long way in creating a more connected and dense area. It's too bad developers aren't at all bullish on downtown:

1) Roosevelt/3rd: the former Scientology building; this building is for sale, and is such a barrier in the Roosevelt Row fabric. Office space with residential above and ground-level restaurants would make for a great, local-driven entry from the 3rd exit instead of an 80s replica and asphalt.
2) McKinley/2nd-3rd: there is a small, 2 or 3-story office building across from McKinley Row up for sale; a perfect example of an opportunity to start creating a sense of place - a 5ish story residential project with ground level retail, along with the new development on 4th would be the start of a good destination street.
3) Circles on Central/McKinley: there are always rumors that this space is about to be leased, but even with Colliers confirming that they are pushing hard to lease this space, it hasn't gone anywhere since 2007ish. I still wish the H&M rumors panned out from a few years back.
4) 3rd St/Garfield-McKinley: The Tavern has yet to reopen in its new incarnation, the other house next door is for lease, and there's available land on both sides of the street. If the 2 historic homes on 4th/5th and Pierce get demolished for Biomedical when they'd go perfectly on this strip, I'll lose it. Taverns/Pubs/Restaurants/Live Theaters in the homes and townhomes on the empty lots would create a nice hub of activity with Filmbar and the Ale House just west.
I realize that much of this could be gleaned from context, but it would be much more user-friendly, particularly for those of us who don't live an breathe this stuff, if you added St. or Ave. to these numbers.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westbev93 View Post
I do remember you posting this. I guess it's still a good sign, but damn it's slow going.

Every little bit helps to build the snowball. I'd hate for the new DeSoto building to struggle, the Union would really help... if not directly from residents of the Union, but from giving some new visitor to the area a great impression and a higher likelihood to return. A nice cool new building is always better than an empty lot for first and overall impressions.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 5:07 PM

The City made their recommendation for the Barrister Building RFP:

https://www.phoenix.gov/financesite/...012%202014.pdf

They chose PB Bell Company and Davis Enterprises LLC.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
The City made their recommendation for the Barrister Building RFP:

https://www.phoenix.gov/financesite/...012%202014.pdf

They chose PB Bell Company and Davis Enterprises LLC.
Thanks - sounds like one of the better choices! PB Bell is responsible for the High Street residences at CityNorth and a ton of other apartment complexes (none really urban other than that, though), so fingers crossed for residential.

OTOH, their lack of office expertise might make it easier for them to clean up Barrister, lease as office, and develop the residential on the adjacent land? I can't imagine the whole site being residential... and I hope at least some new development is included, rather than just work on the Barrister.

Last edited by Jjs5056; Aug 15, 2014 at 3:45 AM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I realize that much of this could be gleaned from context, but it would be much more user-friendly, particularly for those of us who don't live an breathe this stuff, if you added St. or Ave. to these numbers.
Will do - sorry about that. Of all the things I can edit out of my posts, it shouldn't be that. I assumed that the Evans Churchill context made it clear they were all St., but either way.

On another note, it seems that the 5th/Fillmore garage will indeed be single-use. There is no mention of ground level retail or commercial use in any of the news articles, nor in these meeting notes from the City of Phoenix: http://email.phoenix.gov/webcms/grou...nda/113460.pdf

As if it weren't already an insult to construct this huge structure on 5th instead of on the many available lots fronting 7th, the continued disregard for the Urban Form guidelines is extremely frustrating and this garage is just an indication of what's to come as the PBC fills out Evans Churchill. What terrible planning/design to have this car-centric, 9-5 district abutting one of the few urban centers that at least has/had potential to be a 24/7 neighborhood.

Lastly,
PXH31: I replied to your quote regarding downtown spines/hubs in the General thread.

Last edited by Jjs5056; Aug 15, 2014 at 1:05 PM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 3:23 PM

A little bit more information about the PB Bell/Davis proposal including a rendering. It looks like a lot of residential

Jill Bernstein
Downtown Phoenix Journal

A Proposed Future for the Historic Barrister Property
http://www.downtownphoenixjournal.co...ster-property/

Quote:
Panel members met three times to discuss how well each proposal met the criteria and the top three proposers were invited to present to the panel in person. This gave both the proposers and the panel members a chance to discuss the highest scoring proposals in greater depth. In the end, a consensus was reached and the panel recommended accepting the PB Bell/Davis Enterprises Collaboration proposal for an adaptive reuse renovation of the Barrister Building and the addition of two new buildings to create a residential/retail “urban composition” that combines historic preservation, residential density, walkability, and small business site opportunities with a practical, sustainable business model.

Last edited by ASU Diablo; Aug 19, 2014 at 3:25 PM. Reason: ...

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
A little bit more information about the PB Bell/Davis proposal including a rendering. It looks like a lot of residential

Jill Bernstein
Downtown Phoenix Journal

A Proposed Future for the Historic Barrister Property
http://www.downtownphoenixjournal.co...ster-property/

Thanks for sharing! While I wish there was additional height on the other buildings, I do think this looks awesome and will play very well off of Barrister.

If we can get more population in down in that area that'd be great. There are really some great bars/restaurants and this would create momentum from CityScape into the Warehouse district. Overall I like it, but I am very suspicions of any of this RFPs ever actually being built.

We are now waiting on Union, Central Station and Barrister. I'll believe them when I see them.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 4:29 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Looks like a great proposal, I love that it includes residential. More height would be fun, but on the other hand with these shorter buildings I actually feel like they might happen and aren't too pie in the sky. Obviously the renderings are very early/rough, so we'll have to see how they look in the end.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 8:52 PM

This is awesome! The heights are fine - keeps the focus on the historic centerpiece, while still adding a ton of residential density and ground level retail. I'm shocked and excited to see that they've utilized both additional lots; remember, 1 building 2x the height with an empty "phase 2" lot is worse than 2 midrises developed at once, activating both Central and Jefferson at the same time. Each new building should bring in approximately 300 units, no? The Barrister layout is pretty funky, so I won't take a stab at that. But, 600 new units in that area will seriously revolutionize the area from a sports-centric zone, to a 24-hour destination.

I hope the retail mix is more than chain restaurants and includes some great shopping attractions to build off the food and nightlife CityScape has brought to the area. I hope it, along with the Marriotts (hello, where are these?) spur tenants along Luhrs, too. 1 bar/restaurant will be okay, but other than that, the Marriott restaurant, Bitter&Twisted, and CityScape have that market covered.

Very, very happy to see this... I thought I saw a garage opening on the east end of Jefferson, but that's impossible given the tracks, right? If not, that's the only miss. This site has a perfect setup for parking via the existing/remaining alleyways.

One thing I don't understand is the "site for small business" - hopefully, none of the ground level space will be dedicated to that; a mezzanine or 2nd level of business would be just fine, but I'm also scared they're thinking of making Barrister completely small business as it doesn't specify that it will be residential exactly... hmm.

Quote:
We are now waiting on Union, Central Station and Barrister. I'll believe them when I see them.
PHYXFlyer - I would be skeptical on Union due to the fact that its been 7 years of waiting, but someone on the board (exit2leaf, was it?) assured us that it was moving forward as the GC has been assembling a team of trades for the project. The City only just recently signed the agreement for Central Station, so that one is a while off, but remember, both that and the Barrister project are on City property: they'll due whatever they can to ensure they happen, as the objective of both was to generate income off properties that were essentially just sitting idle.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest