HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 18, 2021, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBruin View Post
The Asian Art museum in SF is pretty cool. Haven't been to other Asian art museums, so can't really compare, but that one is definitely worth a visit.
And recently expanded. It centers on the Avery Brundage collection. "the museum has 7,700 pieces from Brundage among the 17,000-plus objects which make up its collection" (Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avery_Brundage )

Old Posted Sep 18, 2021, 11:27 PM

Toledo has a great art museum but no way in hell is it #11 in the U.S. Top 40, probably. Laughable putting it ahead of the Guggenheim, the Whitney or the Getty.

Also, most museums aren't art museums, so it's a pretty incomplete list.

But compared to the original worldwide list, it's 100x better.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2021, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBruin View Post
The Asian Art museum in SF is pretty cool. Haven't been to other Asian art museums, so can't really compare, but that one is definitely worth a visit.
It’s the best collection in SF. None of the others come close in terms of what they collect. SFMOMA has a lot, but the museums’ collectors didn’t have the acumen to choose the artists who would stay relevant. Whereas Asian Art Museum has a lot of artifacts that are the best examples.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Toledo has a great art museum but no way in hell is it #11 in the U.S. Top 40, probably. Laughable putting it ahead of the Guggenheim, the Whitney or the Getty.

Tourists want to see tourisy things, in other words fame over quality. MOCA has arguably the best contemporary art collection in the country, but it’s lowest ranked of all the LA museums. People go to the Broad across the street instead, which is mostly blue-chip art but less relevant than MOCA.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 6:47 AM
if I sang out of tune

I've heard for decades London has 300 museums - maybe some of them closed down? In 2016 there were over 250 art institutions registered in the city proper anyhoo, much of it a haul of the world's biggest stolen booty from centuries of invading every damn country in the world.

I've also heard bandied about that Tokyo has the most museums in the world, they literally have one for everything from like staplers to fish.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 7:26 AM

The list is obviously totally bogus. Houston has museum buildings designed by Rafael Moneo, Steven Holl, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, Renzo Piano… AND MOST IMPORTANTLY …it has a museum that looks like this…

Photo courtesy Houston Art Car Museum https://artcarmuseum.com

…and still they totally ignore us!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 1:12 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Asian Art Museum (said to be the best collection of Asian art in the West), Mexican Museum (about to open new quarters), Museum of the African Diaspora, Jewish Museum come immediately to mind.
I love the Asian Art Museum. I once went there to see an 200-year old piece of stone that was carved to resemble a pork belly, from some dynasty(not Ming, I remember that).

Recently we saw the immersive Van Gogh exhibit on Van Ness. it was a lof of fun.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 3:03 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
The list is obviously totally bogus. Houston has museum buildings designed by Rafael Moneo, Steven Holl, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, Renzo Piano… AND MOST IMPORTANTLY …it has a museum that looks like this…

Facts. The Met ain't got nothing on the Art Car Museum.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Facts. The Met ain't got nothing on the Art Car Museum.

I was lucky enough to have been "studying" art at U of H in 1984 and had a sculpture class at their old Lawndale Annex in the East End where I got to watch Jackie Harris create the Fruitmobile up close.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 11:28 PM

Quote:

I'm visiting Houston next month for the first time for an architecture/arts trip, and I didn't even know Art Car Museum was a thing! Will definitely add to the itinerary - 3 days, including:
  1. 712 Main Street
  2. Bethel Church Historic Site
  3. Buffalo Bayou Park
  4. Chapel of Saint Basil
  5. Chase Tower
  6. Christ Church Cathedral
  7. Contemporary Arts Museum Houston
  8. Cotton Exchange Building
  9. Dan Flavin Installation at Richmond Hall
  10. The Galleria
  11. Hermann Park
  12. Houston City Hall
  13. Houston is Inspired Mural
  14. McGovern Centennial Gardens
  15. Menil Collection
  16. Monument Au Fantome by Jean Dubuffet
  17. Museum of Fine Arts
  18. Rice University
  19. Rothko Chapel
  20. Williams Tower

Hopefully I'm not missing any good art museums, architectural landmarks (especially Art Deco/pre-war)!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 11:53 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
I'm visiting Houston next month for the first time for an architecture/arts trip, and I didn't even know Art Car Museum was a thing! Will definitely add to the itinerary - 3 days, including:
  1. 712 Main Street
  3. Buffalo Bayou Park
  4. Chapel of Saint Basil
  5. Chase Tower
  10. The Galleria
  11. Hermann Park
  12. Houston City Hall
  15. Menil Collection
  17. Museum of Fine Arts
  18. Rice University
  19. Rothko Chapel
  20. Williams Tower

Hopefully I'm not missing any good art museums, architectural landmarks (especially Art Deco/pre-war)!
712 Main Street (Chase) has a great food hall. Also check out the Houston Museum of Natural Science and the Holocaust Museum

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
  1. 712 Main Street
  3. Buffalo Bayou Park
  4. Chapel of Saint Basil
  5. Chase Tower
  10. The Galleria
  11. Hermann Park
  12. Houston City Hall
  15. Menil Collection
  17. Museum of Fine Arts
  18. Rice University
  19. Rothko Chapel
  20. Williams Tower

You might be interested in the Asia Society Museum as well as the Holocaust Museum, both are near Hermann Park and not far from the MFAH.

For the quintessential Houston experience you should check out the Orange Show and Smither Park next door as well as the Beer Can House.

The "Houston is Inspired" Mural is MEH! if you ask me but Market Square Park and the Jame Surls sculpture "Points of View" (my personal favorite public sculpture) is just across the street.

Buffalo Bayou Park is DEFINITELY worth a visit. Google the Cistern and see if that might interest you.

A few minutes inside the lobby of Pennzoil Place is worth it and it's right across from JP Morgan Chase Tower (which I believe is under remodeling and the observation floor is no longer open to the public anyway. Miró's "Personnage et Oiseaux" may still be visible amongst the construction at Chase. I don't know.

Check out the old Julia Ideson Library across the street from City Hall.

Check out the new Eastern Glades section of Memorial Park then report back. I've yet to see it.

Take a quick look at the Post Oak Central buildings. A Philip Johnson art deco-ish project that predates Transco (Williams) Tower.

You can also ride the Red Line Fannin South light rail through Downtown into Midtown then through the Museum District then past Hermann Park on one side and Rice on the other and then on into the Texas Medical Center just to get an idea of the place and to see how big the Med Center is. If you stay on the train a bit longer you can catch a glimpse of the decaying Astrodome.

Another suggestion is just skip all of this and eat until you explode!

Last edited by bilbao58; Sep 20, 2021 at 12:58 AM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 2:01 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

this kind of list is so bogus. that's because nyc has so many fakeazz 'museums' popping up in unused retail space. for example, just on my block we have a newish museum of illusions in an old bank and across the street another newish kgb spy museum.

now these kinds of things would be counted at a glance, or to push up numbers, but in reality they are totally fake museums that are nothing but cheap tourist traps that could close tomorrow and no one would notice or remember. nothing against these as businesses i guess, but come on. are they really museums just becuase they say they are? is that the criteria here, just say you are a 'museum' and it legit counts??

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 2:12 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

well derp. but the fact is this isnt an anomoly, the toledo museum has been ranked over those in the past many times. it's one of america's favorite art museums. and for lots of good reasons. ok, probably some ballot box stuffing, lol, but anyway. as you are the king of googling on ssp i am surprized you didn't notice that.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
this kind of list is so bogus. that's because nyc has so many fakeazz 'museums' popping up in unused retail space. for example, just on my block we have a newish museum of illusions in an old bank and across the street another newish kgb spy museum.

now these kinds of things would be counted at a glance, or to push up numbers, but in reality they are totally fake museums that are nothing but cheap tourist traps that could close tomorrow and no one would notice or remember. nothing against these as businesses i guess, but come on. are they really museums just becuase they say they are? is that the criteria here, just say you are a 'museum' and it legit counts??
If it has a toilet open to the public, I'll call it a museum! I'll even become a patron.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post

There has to be a Fakeazz Muzeem of Fake Art in an old repurposed Olive Oil import warehouse, somewhere in Old New Amsterdammit. Geez.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 3:06 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
There has to be a Fakeazz Muzeem of Fake Art in an old repurposed Olive Oil import warehouse, somewhere in Old New Amsterdammit. Geez.

ah bien sur, but so, how you say? freakin' de nombreux?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 3:15 AM

wrong thread

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 3:15 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
If it has a toilet open to the public, I'll call it a museum! I'll even become a patron.
sorry, but nope. they will pick your pocket anywhere near the door, they ain't cheap.

i wish though, but then i think that that would make them a little less bogus and more real, wouldn't it?

actually they are just hastily reused empty retail spaces that the 'museum' renters could walk away from just as suddenly as they opened.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 3:26 AM

Quote:

Seriously though it's too bad that car museums don't get any respect in these rankings. The Petersen Automotive Museum has a finer collection of priceless and historically significant art than many of these "modern art" museums around the world .

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions