HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 7:56 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
It's just Fremont. We can't afford the extra E, what with rents being so high.

Speaking of Fremont, I've been driving from Oakland to Mountain View and back three times in the past week and traffic has really gotten bad again, I almost want to say worse than before the pandemic-like 880 from Oakland airport all the way to the Tesla factory has intermittent slow downs for that entire 20ish-mile stretch at all hours of the day, and it annoys the hell out of me.
This job would start off as remote then I'd have to move over there. Ugh.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
Yeah, all of that!
When I used to meet friends in Oakland for drinks, I used to take the company coach bus from Sunnyvale to Oakland and it was an almost 2 hour trip. I stopped meeting them on fridays.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
This job would start off as remote then I'd have to move over there. Ugh.
Get a place in San Jose. The commute wouldnt be that bad.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 8:17 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisouthside View Post
When I used to meet friends in Oakland for drinks, I used to take the company coach bus from Sunnyvale to Oakland and it was an almost 2 hour trip. I stopped meeting them on fridays.
I know, it's hideous. I just can't do that every day anymore.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 8:29 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisouthside View Post
Get a place in San Jose. The commute wouldnt be that bad.
I'd probably pick Oakland (Lake Merritt area), and take BART to work. Hopefully the office isn't too far from the Fremont station. There's 2 now, Fremont and Warm Springs, and soon to be a third, Irvington.

Oakland has a more urban, walkable environment than SJ and offers quicker trips to the City as well. Just a 10 minute ride to Embarcadero vs 1 hour long ride with Caltrain from SJ.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 3:58 AM
An Optimistic Realist

The Bay Area is on another level with commuting. Despite how decentralized LA/ SoCal is, I can at least live, work, and play right in the IE, specifically San Bernardino, Riverside, and immediate suburbs like Redlands, Loma Linda, etc. If I want to go to LA, I pick a weekend to endure horrendous traffic or a more than 1 hour train ride.

My career is healthcare though, and that can literally be done anywhere, but I wonder if most doctors, nurses, CNAs, etc can afford to live in SF, Oakland, or SJ without having to commute far.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 12:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
The Bay Area is on another level with commuting. Despite how decentralized LA/ SoCal is, I can at least live, work, and play right in the IE, specifically San Bernardino, Riverside, and immediate suburbs like Redlands, Loma Linda, etc. If I want to go to LA, I pick a weekend to endure horrendous traffic or a more than 1 hour train ride.

My career is healthcare though, and that can literally be done anywhere, but I wonder if most doctors, nurses, CNAs, etc can afford to live in SF, Oakland, or SJ without having to commute far.
LA is a giant blob of urbanity.

parstimes

SF/Bay Area looks like three or four stripes of urbanity, separated by water and mountains. The result is the connectivity of the Bay is fractured and parts are much more isolated than a giant blob of a city.

pinterest

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 5:49 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post

I would think doctors and most RN’s could live anywhere (within reason) they want. It’s the lower tier medical workers who are probably having to commute long distances.

I’ve never been to the Silicon Valley area (only SF, Oakland, Napa, etc.)
but hear it’s a total shit show of traffic congestion seasoned with insane housing costs.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I would think doctors and most RN’s could live anywhere (within reason) they want. It’s the lower tier medical workers who are probably having to commute long distances.

I’ve never been to the Silicon Valley area (only SF, Oakland, Napa, etc.)
but hear it’s a total shit show of traffic congestion seasoned with insane housing costs.
Yeah I have a friend group of San Jose natives and all are RNs and most seem to live comfortably around San Jose, Campbell and Cupertino.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
as a montanan myself, i can assure you not butte*

but an influx of remote workers is definitely a possible expanation

*montana's official unnofficial state passtime is shitting on butte, and doing so at every available opportunity is strictly enforced by intense peer pressure from the official unofficial vigilante state police
Butte's the city I want to visit most in Montana. It has one of the best preserved 19th century historic districts in the Mountain West.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions