HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 10:58 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelback View Post
Whatever you say d00d.
It's finally confirmed that there is no such mass exodus of Californians, as some of the news stations were lying about. There would be more houses, for starters, if everybody was fleeing the state.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
According to those numbers it's a net migration of 35,000 per year which is less than 0.1% of the population. Not exactly a mass exodus.
Exactly. Like I said, if you tell certain people these percentages, they lose their shit. Because they've been lied to and don't want to accept it.

There's way more former New Yorkers living in other cities for the same reason. There's just so many of them. But the actual perentage of New Yorkers moving is probably small too.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 6:23 AM

I expect California’s population to recover somewhat now that Trump’s anti-immigration policies are on its last leg. If Biden takes down a lot of the barriers and immigration goes back to normal, then California should still be the country’s most important immigration destination.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
I expect California’s population to recover somewhat now that Trump’s anti-immigration policies are on its last leg. If Biden takes down a lot of the barriers and immigration goes back to normal, then California should still be the country’s most important immigration destination.
Ideally California should try to appeal more to people from the rest of the nation and give generous tax incentives for former Californians to move back.

With immigration groups it depends which group favors California. For instance with Central America, only Guatemalans favor California and with India it depends on the group, Punjabis the most.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 6:57 PM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, if they abolished the CA Coastal Commission, disallowing high rises on the CA coastline, and instituted Houston's no zoning in, particular, San Fran-Nimby-o and L.A. , you could get more people to move there.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, if they abolished the CA Coastal Commission, disallowing high rises on the CA coastline, and instituted Houston's no zoning in, particular, San Fran-Nimby-o and L.A. , you could get more people to move there.
Only developers want to abolish the Coastal Commission. This is a good way to ruin a perfectly good beach: https://www.google.com/maps/@36.8467...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Only developers want to abolish the Coastal Commission. This is a good way to ruin a perfectly good beach: https://www.google.com/maps/@36.8467...7i13312!8i6656
Yea, the highrises on most beachfronts in this country are pretty bad. They're not fun to walk around.
La is better off building those highrises near downtown, Hollywood, century city etc, which they're doing. Just not enough.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 7:14 PM

I’ve been here since 2017, and I have no interest in going back.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 7:17 PM
Never Dell

That Virginia Beach spot actually looks pretty good. And here's San Sebastian as another example: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.3164...7i16384!8i8192

I'm jealous.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
That Virginia Beach spot actually looks pretty good. And here's San Sebastian as another example: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.3164...7i16384!8i8192

I'm jealous.
At least those buildings are the same height as the other buildings further in. The city just happens to touch the coast (not unlike how California treats the coastline). It's not the same as a single row of out-of-scale towers desperately hugging the coast.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 11:49 PM

Quote:
absolutely no thanks

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 2:15 AM

Yes I'm sure all of the people who have noticed the exodus of Californians to Texas, AZ, Oregon and Nevada are just republicans or buying into a lie.

Surely the UC system would not have an incentive to downplay any bad news about California or the policies therein.

I dont need UC to show me that I am wrong, I am working right now from a company that fled the costs San Francisco in the owners own words that's what happened. Many Thousands of others have made the same decision

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 2:52 AM
你的媽媽

^ That's not really surprising. I assume your company is in the business of making money. Your employer wanted cheaper rent and to pay you and your coworkers less than they would've had to pay workers in CA, and there's nothing wrong with that. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if there was another company that happily took its place. As long as we continue to incubate, companies leaving is not really a problem.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 7:55 PM

Quote:
And Californians still reject your proposal to Texafy the state, no matter how many times you restate it. There is no good reason to trash our coastline with crappy development just to attract hordes of new residents who we don't need in the first place.

And in what universe would ocean-front condos, especially in the most attractive and pricey areas, lower housing costs for--or in any other way benefit--the state's 40M current residents? Such developments would function as commodities, snapped up in bulk as a safe harbor for foreign investment and/or turned into AirBnB beach vacation rentals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Yes I'm sure all of the people who have noticed the exodus of Californians to Texas, AZ, Oregon and Nevada are just republicans or buying into a lie.
What is apparently so noticeable and seems so massive to people in less populated locales turns out to be a tiny percentage of California's population, and apparently the outflow has not changed much in recent years. Anecdotes are not data.

Quote:
Surely the UC system would not have an incentive to downplay any bad news about California or the policies therein.
If you have anything to back up your cynical conjecture then produce it. The UC has more credibility on this issue than you do.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Yeah but the goal isn't to have the most people possible in the state, rather it should be to keep the state a nice place to live for the residents who are there.

So, you just discovered that destroying California's appeal would make it more affordable. That's not rocket science.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Lol just ignore him, he's been like this for years. His google streetview games are always in bad faith. He's also from Ohio so I think that explains a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
And Californians still reject your proposal to Texafy the state, no matter how many times you restate it. There is no good reason to trash our coastline with crappy development just to attract hordes of new residents who we don't need in the first place.

And in what universe would ocean-front condos, especially in the most attractive and pricey areas, lower housing costs for--or in any other way benefit--the state's 40M current residents? Such developments would function as commodities, snapped up in bulk as a safe harbor for foreign investment and/or turned into AirBnB beach vacation rentals.

What is apparently so noticeable and seems so massive to people in less populated locales turns out to be a tiny percentage of California's population, and apparently the outflow has not changed much in recent years. Anecdotes are not data.

If you have anything to back up your cynical conjecture then produce it. The UC has more credibility on this issue than you do.

I'm not even sure how 50 story condos improves Santa Monica or Manhattan Beach anyway. Would it increase tourism? Economy? No.
I'd rather they expand their walkable commercial districts.

And yes, it's a tiny percentage of Californians actually leaving, to the horror of Texans and Arizona residents.
It's just insane hyperbole at this point.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 10:03 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Are more people moving into the CV because I own property there and all of a sudden I am getting bombarded with unsolicited offers on them.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Are more people moving into the CV because I own property there and all of a sudden I am getting bombarded with unsolicited offers on them.
Yes . . . developers. Because there's not much land available west of the coastal hills and too many development restrictions that add too much cost for many people to afford.

https://www.kbhome.com/new-homes-cen...BoCblkQAvD_BwE

The Stockton/Manteca/Tracy/Lathrop area is especially popular because of the ACE (Altamonte Corridor Express) commuter rail line to Silicon Valley (with connections to BART and SF):

https://www.mantecabulletin.com/news...rail-hearings/

Where's your land?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I believe fresno and the surrounding area was tht hottest real estate market by some measure earlier this year

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 3:15 PM

I'm already anticipating another real estate crash; prices can't be going up forever, right? Things happen in cycles, I've lived long enough to see booms and busts and booms and busts...

~ Charles Bukowski

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions