HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 8:40 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Moving forward. With demo permits, and I presume that one tenant who wouldn't vacate his home, finally left, this is good to go. A solid addition for the area. NIMBYS must be crying due to another defeat. Yet again, their provincial thinking is denied.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 3:15 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
This tower really seems to rattle those NIMBYS.

They will definitely be trippin' once this is rising.
My concern would be the expected noise, for a year or 2! With my sensitive hearing?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 12:45 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^^

That's life son. If you look at the city, and notice all of the buildings, they all had to rise at one point and made noise during their construction. The city was founded in 1624 so for 391 years, people have been dealing with noise as things rose.

The only plausible way I can see contruction not making noise is if they use legos. So its just one of those things that your going to have to deal with. Your in NYC. Your sensitive hearing surely notes the barrage of honking and sirens everyday, and so, this is just another addition to the festival of noises that one hears daily.
This is nothing compared to the noise at HY.

But at least shadows are not of concern with you. I think...

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 2:35 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
My concern would be the expected noise, for a year or 2! With my sensitive hearing?
Move to a small town in rural Montana then.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 3:00 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I am surprised though that this project is moving through the process so quickly. I mean, projects like the seaport take forever, at 40% less height, but this, quick. Eh, can't complain. Looks like demo could start in 2016.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 4:03 AM
New Yorker for life

^ The Seaport has complications because the City has to weigh in on it for various reasons.

Quote:
Community Board 6 chair Sandro Sherrod told Our Town that the board, like Kallos, was just made aware of what’s being proposed at Sutton Place through constituents. But because the project is as of right, any plans that are filed with the Dept. of Buildings would not come before the board for review.

Kallos reinforced his opposition to the project as proposed and urged constituents to contact local elected officials to voice their concerns. With enough community support, he said, it’s possible to insert a zoning text amendment or height restriction before the developer builds over 50 percent of the base of the building.

“This is our chance, otherwise we will get a super-scraper in a residential neighborhood and we won’t be able to do anything about it,” said Kallos. “This is literally about the one percent having light and air, and the rest not.”

The NIMBYs know there is very little they can do in these situations.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 4:00 PM

I see so many renderings of sky scrapers with outdoor gardens or trees planted throughout their height. I have yet to see any of these in person, but I imagine it works better in rendering artwork than in person. Can anyone post some examples of real, completed buildings with outdoor gardens along their height like this one?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 4:50 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo View Post
I see so many renderings of sky scrapers with outdoor gardens or trees planted throughout their height. I have yet to see any of these in person, but I imagine it works better
in rendering artwork than in person. Can anyone post some examples of real, completed buildings with outdoor gardens along their height like this one?
I was just admiring the trees at the somewhat new 250 W. 55th earlier today. But its hardly something that's new, or unusual in Manhattan. If you walk around Downtown,
on the tops of buildings that are close enough to see, you will find multiple planted rooftops and terraces.

http://250w55.com/

https://www.emporis.com/images/details/888600/lookingup

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo View Post
I see so many renderings of sky scrapers with outdoor gardens or trees planted throughout their height. I have yet to see any of these in person, but I imagine it works better in rendering artwork than in person. Can anyone post some examples of real, completed buildings with outdoor gardens along their height like this one?
I'm a landscape architect in Chicago and I can speak from experience that renderings where you see trees on decks above 30-40 floors are false advertising... unless extreme measures are taken trees above that height will blow over. I have one project on the 22nd floor and we still needed metal wires supporting the tree from multiple robust anchors. Shrubs and grasses are as big as you will see on most high rise decks.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
NIMBYS must be crying due to another defeat. Yet again, their provincial thinking is denied.
I don't think this building is good for the neighborhood, precisely because it is so much taller than everything around it. When no one building stands out, and no one has killer views, then there isn't much to block new infill and density. The buildings can grow taller, but not overwhelmingly taller.

You want to see NIMBYs? Wait till the residents of this building move in. They'll make sure their tower is the only one around, and that nothing else crops up to block the views that they paid for.
The cost for one super tower is going to be squashed development all around.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 12:25 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Virtual Tour (Click Window on bottom left to scroll for different heights): http://airphotoslive.com/BG432E58/tour.html

Check Out Views From Bauhouse’s 900-Foot Sutton Place Tower At 428 East 58th Street

Quote:
It was just last week that the Bauhouse Group announced they had obtained demolition permits for their 900-foot-tall residential tower planned at 428-432 East 58th Street, near Sutton Place. The project won’t be complete until 2019, but we now have an exclusive preview of the views from the Norman Foster-designed tower.

A camera was sent up to capture 360-degree images from 100 feet and up. From 900 feet, just some of the things you’ll be able to see are Central Park, the George Washington Bridge, 432 Park Avenue, the Empire State Building, the Chrysler Building, Sony Tower, the Citigroup Center, One World Trade Center, the Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge, Roosevelt Island, the RFK Bridge, the Hell Gate Bridge, the United Nations, and the Williamsburg Bridge.

Of the planned building itself, last week, Joseph Beninati, Managing Member of The Bauhouse Group, said, “We believe that our world class team and union contractors will develop a building that mirrors the elegance and storied past of the Sutton Place neighborhood.” The approximately 80-story-tall tower will have 115 condos spread across 270,000 square feet, meaning each unit will average 2,348 square feet.
=====================
NYY

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 1:48 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm&Kedzie View Post
I'm a landscape architect in Chicago and I can speak from experience that renderings where you see trees on decks above 30-40 floors are false advertising... unless extreme measures are taken trees above that height will blow over.
We'll see what we get.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 3:26 PM
don't *meddle*...

Potential supertall!

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...pertall-towers

The little loophole helping developers build higher supertall towers

Developers are constructing skyscrapers on stilts

By Daniel Geiger

Quote:
Like a long list of other developers in recent years, Beninati wants to raise the tallest tower he can--a spire that could reach as high as 1,000 feet.
Quote:
To raise his Sutton Place building's height, Beninati said his mechanical floors will be 24 feet high, far taller than mechanical spaces in projects built even just a few years ago, and about double the height of most residential floors in the property. Doing that, he estimates, will add 100 or more feet to his project--allowing more of his units to clear that 700-foot threshold.
Suck it NIMBYs - you wanted a shorter tower, well now you'll get a supertall instead!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 5:50 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

very nice and especially so for that neighborhood --

reminds me of a much less ghetto one madison.

do we really have decent odds it will crack 1k ft tall?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post

do we really have decent odds it will crack 1k ft tall?
According to the developer it will be a supertall.

Per the Crains article-

"It was really a pleasant surprise for us that this will be the first supertall tower with ocean views," said Beninati, who runs real estate development firm Bauhouse Group. "

Mods, can you change thread title to 1000 ft.+?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 8:59 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Suck it NIMBYs - you wanted a shorter tower, well now you'll get a supertall instead!
We know we are doing a good job when the NIMBYS have to get neck surgery from looking up too much in disgust. Good for them. More towers that are super talls, the better. The current 20+ in the pipeline is looking woefully low. Remember, we need to meet our 1 super tall per month quota. Last month was 45 Broad, this month is Sutton Place. On a roll.

Hopefully we can get solid height figures on 562-570 5th Avenue for February. Meet the quote early. Which will also be a super tall. Looks like its 350 feet taller than the GE Building.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post

I cried for a solid two hours worrying about about your tender little ears. I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 1:04 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

If I had a 20 million dollar unit, you could force me to use an air raid siren as my alarm clock and I wouldn't complain. Sure I'd wake up screaming, disheveled, fall to the ground while still in REM sleep, and vomit profusely if I'm dizzy that day, but at the end of the day, I'd live in a 20 million dollar unit and sure as hell would be happy after that moment of random chaos. If you live anywhere near that area, in a nice unit with great view, the world is your oyster. A little noise is just a minor inconvenience for being the the 1 percent of 1 percent.

And for those who complain about the poor door, use the damn door. Your living in a place that normally costs $4000 in rent per month, for $850-1100 a month. An extreme bargain for a 2 bedroom unit in a new luxury tower. The nerve...!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2016, 3:19 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
"It was really a pleasant surprise for us that this will be the first supertall tower with ocean views," said Beninati, who runs real estate development firm Bauhouse Group. "
I don't believe that's accurate. But it doesn't matter. Just think of the views 340 Flatbush will have.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive