HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Diagrams & Database > Diagrams

Old Posted Sep 23, 2023, 6:12 PM

I dont understand what you mean with opaque glass exactly, you mean those transparencies in the S-P-E drawing or what exactly?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2023, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La_Parca View Post
I dont understand what you mean with opaque glass exactly, you mean those transparencies in the S-P-E drawing or what exactly?
It’s not easy to explain. It’s just that the overall effect gives the building a feeling of weight and depth. Like, you can see into the windows and look inside the building. Mine always come off as flat and non see-through . I think it has something to do we how clean the floor lines and internal feature appear (or rather how blurry/distorted they appear) that seem to give the illusion of depth I’m looking for, but all of the overlays and shadings that I try can’t reproduce the effect. I’m using paint.net, so maybe it or I is limited.

Here’s another example from S-p-E. Notice how see-through the glass appears. I realize there is immense talent behind his (or her) work, but I can’t even figure out how to get started.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2023, 1:19 AM

Now i understand, i think i have a idea about how to do that, i will try later and will explain how to do it

For the curtains in my buildings i draw them in white in paint and later i export to photoshop and i reduce the opaccity to 50% or less

And yes, i think S-P-E is one of the most talented illustators here

Old Posted Sep 24, 2023, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Now i understand, i think i have a idea about how to do that, i will try later and will explain how to do it

For the curtains in my buildings i draw them in white in paint and later i export to photoshop and i reduce the opaccity to 50% or less

And yes, i think S-P-E is one of the most talented illustators here
That would be amazing! Thank you!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2023, 1:00 AM

Ok, i think that is the way to apply the technique, is the first time i do that

First i start with a simple drawing

I remove the glasses and i draw walls leaving this structure (columns will come later)

This dont have much to do with the process of making transparent glass, but is how i make reflective glasses in my buildings every time

So i pick a image of the sky to put into the glass, since my drawing of the Odeon Tower i started bluring them

So i end having something like this:

Is important to say that i work with layers in photoshop, so i have one for the glass

So i paste the blur sky into the drawing and i select only the glass and then i press "inverted selection" only to have selected the outside part of the glass and i select the sky layer and delete the outside part of the glass

And now i have this:

(im doing a mess trying to explain all)

In this case is optional to add gradient effect to the glass

like this:

I add different lightings for each facade

I select the glass layer in layers section and i click in "Fussion options"

I reduce the opacity to 90%, you can chose the percent that looks better for you

I draw columns into the structure:

Old Posted Sep 25, 2023, 1:20 AM

Incredible explanation so far! What a great post, I love seeing your methodology! You do incredible work!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2023, 1:24 AM

Part 2 - Finishing the glass facade

Back in paint or photoshop i draw these red lines in the facade

I cut only the red lines and paste into the building in and new layer

I select the red lines and i go to "settings" and to "tone, saturation"

I hide the layer of the red lines and i ajust the illumination

You will end with something like this:

or this if you reduce the ilumination:

The glass needs more detail, so i will do again the step of the red lines, this time doing horizontal green lines (the color dont have any importance, i chose bright colors to distinguish them from the building)

Almost final result:

Final result, i added gradient in the antennas, added gradients in the base of the building to make the entrace, and i correct the transparency effects at the very side of the drawing since i messed it a bit

This ended more being a tutorial about how to draw a building rather than a tutorial of simply adding transparencies, but well I hope you like it friends

And since im not too good explaining things if you guys have a doubt about the process feel free to ask me here or in PM

Old Posted Sep 25, 2023, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbywest87 View Post
Incredible explanation so far! What a great post, I love seeing your methodology! You do incredible work!
Thanks, im glad you apreciated it

Old Posted Sep 25, 2023, 5:33 PM

I love it. You don't mind me screenshotting your procedure do you? I've been wanting to move away from paint.net and toward photoshop (since paint.net feels somewhat limited) and your comments are a great resource.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2023, 7:41 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Very cool to see how you make a drawing... and very different from how I do it...

Old Posted Sep 25, 2023, 9:04 PM

Quite a bit different from my methodology. Here's mine:

Step 1: Make basic drawing. Think to self, "Wow, this drawing looks like crap."

Step 2: Do some random overlay and think wow this looks awesome I must be super talented (HINT:I’m not).

Step 3: Complete drawing, adding shading, light effects, and shadows. Stare at drawing for awhile and tell myself this looks good, it's ready to share.

Step 4: Post my drawing to SkyscraperPage.

Step 5: Find the tiniest thing wrong with drawing. Obsess over it.

Step 6: Back to Paint.net to fix my mistake. Find more mistakes.

Step 27: Continue to stare at drawing, unsatisfied. Tell myself nobody cares about this drawing but me, so hurry up and resubmit already.

Step 28: Resubmit drawing. Immediately obsess over the blackness of a single pixel of shadow.

Step 55: Submit 22 different iterations of the same drawing with hardly any noticeable differences between each. Most likely pissing off all the approval staff.

Step 56: Eventually settle on a final submission after realizing how much of my life I've wasted worrying about a drawing.

Last edited by bobbywest87; Sep 26, 2023 at 3:46 AM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 2:47 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

OK, here is my step-by-step drawing of a building. In this case, the all-glass Bay-Adelaide East in Toronto.

Step 1: make a black and white wire-frame of the building
[IMG][/IMG]

Step 2: pick the basic color of the glass
[IMG][/IMG]

Step 3: this is one of the most difficult and complex steps, creating the patterns that appear on the glass, the floor slabs, the mullions, etc... In the extreme left and right sides you can see that I have made the glass much lighter, because you can actually see through the building at its corners, except for the floor slabs.
[IMG][/IMG]

Step 4: copy and paste the 4 floors I made down the height of the tower
[IMG][/IMG]

Step 5: the columns at the base are created
[IMG][/IMG]

Step 6: the shadows on the columns are created
[IMG][/IMG]

Step 7: the lobby glass is created, pasting from the main tower glass
[IMG][/IMG]

Step 8: the mechanical room at the top is created, along with the glass parapet enclosing it
[IMG][/IMG]

Step 9: the podium extension is created, pasting from the lobby and tower glass
[IMG][/IMG]

Step 10: lobby enhancements like the parking garage are created
[IMG][/IMG]

Step 11: a small amount of "Noise" is added to the glass
[IMG][/IMG]

Step 12: gradients on both the vertical and horizontal axes are created, lighter at the top and in the centre
[IMG][/IMG]

Step 13: a transparent background is created, and the entire drawing is cropped
[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 7:29 AM

Quote:
I love it. You don't mind me screenshotting your procedure do you? I've been wanting to move away from paint.net and toward photoshop (since paint.net feels somewhat limited) and your comments are a great resource.
Im thinking about making a video tutorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
Very cool to see how you make a drawing... and very different from how I do it...
Thanks!

Quote:
Quite a bit different from my methodology. Here's mine:
I have that feeling sometimes with my works, i had a higher expectative of the final result of the Altino Arantes drawing and the Skyscraper from Shenzen, they looks good, but i think they should look better

Quote:
OK, here is my step-by-step drawing of a building. In this case, the all-glass Bay-Adelaide East in Toronto.

Step 1: make a black and white wire-frame of the building
[IMG][/IMG]
Wow amazing process, looks hard to do, how much time you take to draw each building?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 2:41 PM

I apologize in advance that this is probably overly simplified, but I’m not even sure I fully understand my own process. Compared to many of you on here who have thousands of amazing drawings, I don’t have nearly as much experience, so my process is still “in-process”.

First, I gather dimensions from elevation drawings and type them out into excel. Usually, I do this to convert from feet to meters.

Next, I do what you do, Koops65 – creating an outline of the drawing. I don’t always create an outline, but I feel it helps for more complex buildings.

For example, if the building is comprised of more than one building I like to outline how the two buildings interact and meet up with each other (in this case it’s a building and a garage):

Originally, I would use InkScape for everything, but I didn’t like how my drawings would compress and distort when converting them down to the appropriate pixel height. If it weren’t for that, I would still prefer it for drawing since it’s much easier to make adjustments than Paint.net. I still use it from time-to-time to create the outline and then copy/paste it into Paint.net.

Here is my most recent, and I started with a basic outline. Here is the image I referenced, and my outline. I decided I wanted my diagram to be from the opposite side of the building (of which no rendering exists) because it has an L-Shape design as opposed to the flat side used in all the existing renders.

Outline:

After creating the outline, I like to work on the glass reflection. This building is glass, but it is covered with so many balconies it’s almost hard to work it into the drawing properly. I find a background I like, crop it, convert it to black and white, and usually make it a little bit blurry using Gaussian or Surface blur. I’ll make a new layer for this with an overlay setting until it looks good to me.

After that is where it gets complicated to explain, because I create tons of layers for everything (I like to obsess over little details, and I don’t want to be unable to change something later).

I’ll add in balconies and floors, as well as prominent design elements:

Next, I’ll add in shadows under individual balconies, and smaller shadows here and there to create depth where needed.

By this point, I have so many layers… Notice the scroll bar isn’t even showing half of it and this was well before I was finished…

Next, I add shadows and lighting. I literally shine a flashlight on books and boxes in my home office to figure out how the shadows are supposed to work. I have zero art background, so between shining my flashlight and researching pictures online, it’s the best I can do. I’ve only recently been experimenting with shadows and lighting in my diagrams, so I am still learning.

For lighting, I’ll use a white overlay on solid surfaces such as brick. First, I make a white rectangle over the brick, then I use a gradient tool to track the angle of the light. I’ll set the layer to “overlay” and turn the opacity up or down based on what I feel visually looks good.

For glass surfaces, depending on how reflective the surface is, I’ll use a mix of “Screen” or “Overlay” settings on my layers to get the desired effect.

Beyond that, I add final details such as pillars, additional shading, doors, etc. I also play around with shadows/lighting some more to make sure everything appears cohesive. I will add a green background for conversion before submitting to SSP.

Final result:

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 5:06 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Quote:
Wow amazing process, looks hard to do, how much time you take to draw each building?
About an hour or two, it depends on the complexity of the building.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2023, 12:51 AM

@bobbywest87 Interesting process, also the final quality is amazing

@koops65 wow really fast, i rarely complete a drawing in a hour, sometimes takes me some days to finish some of these

Old Posted Oct 1, 2023, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Step 11: a small amount of "Noise" is added to the glass
[IMG][/IMG]
I love the way you use noise to simulate shimmering and/or interior lights.

Quote:
@bobbywest87 Interesting process, also the final quality is amazing
Thank you! I try to implement new techniques I learn from others with each new drawing. The next one I’m working on is straight glass which is why I wanted to hear how others do it.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 2:24 PM

It has been a while since I have submitted drawings to the diagram page.

I draw in 1:1.
Sometimes I wouldn't have the exact number of floors. (When this is the case, it is always less.)

One tip that I have is that you could draw a feature or a portion of your building in a larger scale, resize it, and then apply it to your 1:1 drawing. This keeps you in control of the resizing process.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
It has been a while since I have submitted drawings to the diagram page.

I draw in 1:1.
Sometimes I wouldn't have the exact number of floors. (When this is the case, it is always less.)

One tip that I have is that you could draw a feature or a portion of your building in a larger scale, resize it, and then apply it to your 1:1 drawing. This keeps you in control of the resizing process.
That's a good call - I have done that a few time for thinks like logos on the top of a building, but never thought about doing that for something like floors/windows. Whenever I am working on those in 1:1, I always think to myself how I'd rather be drawing it larger to get some of those details. Maybe I should be.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 2:02 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Even re-sizing portions of your drawings can cause unwanted errors. When I have added logos they always end up blurry and unreadable, mostly having to do with the low number of pixels you have to work with...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Diagrams & Database > Diagrams