HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 6:01 PM

This horrid surface lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
^^ I walk this area a few times a week, will be out there again today. My personal peeve is the lack of sidewalk on the S side of Kinzie along the Merchandise Mart (Orleans/Wells). They have recently rebuilt the sidewalks at Canal/Kinzie.
I cannot for the life of me understand why a few lots over there are vacant and it bothers me to no end.

Wells and Kinzie, the L tracks bend over it slightly - It is an amazing location and there is a god damn surface lot there.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 6:09 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryPendleton View Post
Wells and Kinzie, the L tracks bend over it slightly - It is an amazing location and there is a god damn surface lot there.
there's no surface lot at wells/kinzie, you're probably thinking of one block north at wells/hubbard, the SW corner. the el tracks do cross over that lot, so i'm guessing that's why it's never been developed. a similar story one block over at the NE corner of wells/franklin.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckman821 View Post
Yikes. Here's one I'd far prefer to die on the drawing boards. I think this whole block is pretty nice as it is.

Wasn't something also proposed for the gas station on the NE corner across from the starbucks? In an ideal world that one would happen, and this gassman project would bite the dust, this thing is just awful.
I disagree. This block needs a complete reboot. I hope both projects get constructed. If anything, I wish Hotel Chateau would be torn down and a new development goes in its place.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Yikes. Here's one I'd far prefer to die on the drawing boards. I think this whole block is pretty nice as it is.

Wasn't something also proposed for the gas station on the NE corner across from the starbucks? In an ideal world that one would happen, and this gassman project would bite the dust, this thing is just awful.
If he chooses different materials for the 3rd floor addition and makes the west facade of the main building less early 2000s cheap crap looking I think it would be ok.

The gas station is potentially going to get redeveloped into a 7 floor / 90 unit residential building, pending a zoning change.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 7:14 PM

Development needs to continue up the Broadway corridor to Lawrence. I want to see this area as lively as the Belmont/Broadway intersection. I look forward to seeing what new proposals come our way once the Wilson El is fully renovated. Unfortunately, the Shiller ranks in the 46th Ward are up in arms against market rate development to protect the "diversity" of Uptown. I cannot believe how long it is taking the Maryville Development to get off the ground. Sadly, the developer has removed so much height due to neighborhood backlash, the proposal is no longer worthy of one of the last few remaining prime lots along lake front. People act like a 40 story building is out of the ordinary. This lot has two 500 ft. high rises within a mile north and south of the location. Do not get me started with the residents who want Maryville turned into a park instead. I guess Claredon Park and Cricket Hill are not big enough for their dogs.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
there's no surface lot at wells/kinzie, you're probably thinking of one block north at wells/hubbard, the SW corner. the el tracks do cross over that lot, so i'm guessing that's why it's never been developed. a similar story one block over at the NE corner of wells/franklin.

I used to work in River North and had angry thoughts about this parking lot daily. The L tracks cutting through it definitely preclude any kind of vertical development, but it wouldn't be a bad spot for a small park or outdoor plaza with places to eat lunch on nice days. Since River North is turning into such a food and startup mecca, it might be a good way to showcase both.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 7:43 PM

New City site is super active, including two drill rigs being set up today:

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Chicago View Post
Development needs to continue up the Broadway corridor to Lawrence. I want to see this area as lively as the Belmont/Broadway intersection. I look forward to seeing what new proposals come our way once the Wilson El is fully renovated. Unfortunately, the Shiller ranks in the 46th Ward are up in arms against market rate development to protect the "diversity" of Uptown. I cannot believe how long it is taking the Maryville Development to get off the ground. Sadly, the developer has removed so much height due to neighborhood backlash, the proposal is no longer worthy of one of the last few remaining prime lots along lake front. People act like a 40 story building is out of the ordinary. This lot has two 500 ft. high rises within a mile north and south of the location. Do not get me started with the residents who want Maryville turned into a park instead. I guess Claredon Park and Cricket Hill are not big enough for their dogs.
Updates from last night meeting. I wish they would just approve this thing already.
http://james46.org/jdl-maryville-proposal/

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 8:05 PM

Hotel chateau

Quote:
I disagree. This block needs a complete reboot. I hope both projects get constructed. If anything, I wish Hotel Chateau would be torn down and a new development goes in its place.
Your wish has somewhat already been granted. The hotel is now vacant, including all retail tenants. BJB is doing a complete gut job and turning it into market rate apartments.

The area is on the upswing for sure, I'll all for the Gassman proposal(with some minor revisions).

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20130...tted-renovated

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 8:05 PM

Wow. They shaved off 80 ft. since the last rendering and now it is barely a noticeable addition to the northside. The vocal minority in the surrounding 3-4 story flats won again in an effort to "protect" their condo values. I give up following this development. I remember when Halsted Flats was originally proposed as a 25/15 story building, but the adjacent building was up in arms because it blocked their views of downtown. Now we are left with a stocky 15/10 story building.

I like what Cappleman is doing for the 46th ward, but he needs to stop these neighborhood groups from directing development decisions. Parking and density arguments are tough to make when you have two redline stops within walking distance and numerous bus stops.

Last edited by Justin_Chicago; Nov 26, 2013 at 8:45 PM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeviewer View Post
Your wish has somewhat already been granted. The hotel is now vacant, including all retail tenants. BJB is doing a complete gut job and turning it into market rate apartments.

The area is on the upswing for sure, I'll all for the Gassman proposal(with some minor revisions).

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20130...tted-renovated
I am fine with a gut rehab, but after viewing the clientele leaving the building over the last decade and the numerous building code violations, I am under the impression that $5-6M will not do much to repair the units. I am no developer, so other knowledgeable people can prove me wrong. The developer will likely need to price rents slightly below average to attract tenants, especially with Halsted Flats down the street and new proposals across the street.

Either way, great news for Lakeview. Now we need to get rid of the neighboring Pawn Shop on the corner and have some decent restaurants moving in along Broadway.

Last edited by Justin_Chicago; Nov 26, 2013 at 8:46 PM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 9:08 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
The other small lot at Hubbard and Franklin will receive a new CTA substation in the near future. These are usually pretty small buildings, so CTA will probably allow the rest of the lot to remain as parking for the revenue. But I have no idea - maybe they will turn the remainder into a park.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 9:14 PM

Quote:
I am fine with a gut rehab, but after viewing the clientele leaving the building over the last decade and the numerous building code violations, I am under the impression that $5-6M will not do much to repair the units. I am no developer, so other knowledgeable people can prove me wrong. The developer will likely need to price rents slightly below average to attract tenants, especially with Halsted Flats down the street and new proposals across the street.

Either way, great news for Lakeview. Now we need to get rid of the neighboring Pawn Shop on the corner and have some decent restaurants moving in along Broadway.
BJB did a pretty good job with the Bel Air Hotel. The vast majority of the units at Chateau will be market rate IIRC. Halsted Flats and the rehabbed Chateau will be going after different segments of the rental market and so don't directly compete with each other. Not everyone will want to pay the premium to live in a new luxury building stacked with amenities. Given the total lack of good new rental stock in the neighborhood I don't think either will have a problem leasing up quickly.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
If he chooses different materials for the 3rd floor addition and makes the west facade of the main building less early 2000s cheap crap looking I think it would be ok.

The gas station is potentially going to get redeveloped into a 7 floor / 90 unit residential building, pending a zoning change.
So basically...if everything visible in the rendering is totally different it might look ok?

I guess I'll agree.

The problem is that these additions to historic structures generally end up with the worst of both worlds.

The public is too stupid to do the right thing in negotiation..this is what they should ask for:
The Starbucks building must be preserved entirely, no additions whatsoever.
The building on the NE corner of broadway and grace must be preserved entirely, no additions etc.
Then grant the developer as much zoning in the middle of the block as he needs to make the project economically feasible - and please for the love of God, lets not use bargain basement 2003 architecture as a guide here.

I'd frankly be sad to see a good chunk of those structures in the middle of the block bite the dust but I recognize the need to grow as well as preserve.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 9:24 PM

Quote:
I am fine with a gut rehab, but after viewing the clientele leaving the building over the last decade and the numerous building code violations, I am under the impression that $5-6M will not do much to repair the units.
I think if any developer has earned our trust with this type of project, its BJB. I'm definitely not going to worry about the Hotel Chateau. I'm sure it will turn out great.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 9:31 PM

Quote:
So basically...if everything visible in the rendering is totally different it might look ok?

I guess I'll agree.

The problem is that these additions to historic structures generally end up with the worst of both worlds.

The public is too stupid to do the right thing in negotiation..this is what they should ask for:
The Starbucks building must be preserved entirely, no additions whatsoever.
The building on the NE corner of broadway and grace must be preserved entirely, no additions etc.
Then grant the developer as much zoning in the middle of the block as he needs to make the project economically feasible - and please for the love of God, lets not use bargain basement 2003 architecture as a guide here.

I'd frankly be sad to see a good chunk of those structures in the middle of the block bite the dust but I recongnize the need to grow as well as preserve.
I think the design was intended more to show the massing than anything (hopefully), but it should be clarified with the developer that it should not be built with the design/materials as shown.

If he matched the material and possibly added a setback I could live with the addition to the starbucks building. Developer stated that the building on the NE corner of Grace/Broadway isn't going to be demoed.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 11:16 PM
TL;DR

Yeah, a setback is essential to distinguish the new 3rd floor from the older building. The materials are honestly a secondary concern, since the 3rd floor would not be visible from most angles. The developer can justify the setback by using the roof space for balconies.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post

Hopefully, they not only green light the zone change for the gas station location, but actually FAST TRACK it!! I want that building BUILT!!!!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post

I used to work in River North and had angry thoughts about this parking lot daily. The L tracks cutting through it definitely preclude any kind of vertical development, but it wouldn't be a bad spot for a small park or outdoor plaza with places to eat lunch on nice days. Since River North is turning into such a food and startup mecca, it might be a good way to showcase both.
Perhaps part of it can be made into a "Food Truck Park", and the other part can be a grassy park with places to sit and eat the food? Just an idea.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link N. Parker View Post
Perhaps part of it can be made into a "Food Truck Park", and the other part can be a grassy park with places to sit and eat the food? Just an idea.
Donut Vault should buy it and use it as the official queueing spot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development