HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 11:26 PM

Reboot of former Big Surf Wave Park as Tempe industrial park moves forward

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...ndustrial.html

Quote:
Nearly 700,000 square feet of new industrial buildings are a step closer to being built in the East Valley at the former home of wave pools, beach volleyball and ice skating.

According to plans submitted to the city of Tempe, California-based Overton Moore Properties looks to build 689,109 square feet across three speculation warehouses at 1480 N. McClintock Drive — the site of the former Big Surf Wave Park and the Inland Oceans Ice Arena.

The Tempe Development Review Commission voted Tuesday night to approve the proposed OMP Tempe Industrial Park by a 7-0 vote. The OMP reference in the name of the park is a nod to the developer's name.

The commission approved the plan as part of the meeting's consent agenda. No discussion before Tuesday's vote took place. Tempe City Council will vote on the project at a future meeting.

Plans call for the 35-acre site to be subdivided into three lots, which would each contain one of the three buildings. The architect for the proposed project is HPA Architecture, according to city documents.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 9:29 PM

Sad that this space isn't/can't be used for some mixed use as it could be a great area. Anyone have an idea about if this area is better suited for commercial than mixed use?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 9:38 PM
Skyriser

I have a very hard time calling this area "great" ... it has permanent challenges being on the other side of disused reservation acreage and is surrounded on the north and south by industrial development.

I'm not crazy about more industrial space in what should be a very important area by the 101/202 interchange, but the existing land uses prevent this part of town from realizing its potential. Neither Tempe nor the tribe care about creating synergistic development with more focused planning and development here.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 5:48 PM

Does anyone remember the proposed development from the link bellow? Lol! It was too good to be true from the beginning.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...02/2828946001/

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB1 View Post
Does anyone remember the proposed development from the link bellow? Lol! It was too good to be true from the beginning.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...02/2828946001/
Not too good to be true...there is that resort VIA on the westside under construction. This would have been a prime site to do something like that.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Not too good to be true...there is that resort VIA on the westside under construction. This would have been a prime site to do something like that.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but it sounds like they are planning to do something similar… lots of focus on a theme park towards the middle of the article there. And they specifically mention high-end technology attractions. Makes me wonder what brand they could be involved with to support this. Would love to see something proper come to the valley a la Cedar Fair since Six Flags is a lost cause.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 10:48 PM

The old Pennysaver building is no more, demoed to make way for 250 Rio:

https://250rio.com/

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 4:41 PM

A new PSPR submitted for the "3A collective" at Novus for new restaurants. Word is these will be Fox Restaurants near the new Novus hotel that is proposed. Will be a pretty awesome area once complete!

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 1:31 AM

Been lurking the Phoenix/Tempe forum for a few years since moving here from Denver. Thank you to everyone posting the great updates and photos! There are many of us who appreciate the effort from afar! I’m impressed with the level of development throughout Phoenix and the rest of the Valley but especially in Tempe. Definitely an impressive vision coming to life and a strong sense of “place” that it’s leaning into. It’s already punching way above its size. If the entertainment district and South Pier can come to fruition in a thoughtful way this can be a very special destination.

Im excited to see how things look in 5 years!

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 2:21 AM

Tempe breaks ground on new multifamily apartment complex

Construction has officially started on Parcel 3G (SEC of Rural and 6th St). Plus renderings!

https://www.yourvalley.net/tempe-ind...complex,350908
Quote:
Transwestern Development Company will break ground on a 333-unit multifamily community at Tempe’s Novus Innovation Corridor on the Arizona State University Tempe campus this month.

TDC, along with equity partners Griffin Capital and University Realty, will begin construction this month on the seven-story building located on 2.36 acres at the southeast corner of 6th Street and Rural Road, according to a news release from the developer.

“We are excited to expand our presence in the greater Phoenix market,” said TDC Development Associate John Beckworth in a statement. “Tempe continues to experience increased demand for quality multifamily products due to the market’s high levels of in-migration. We look forward to delivering another attractive housing option in Tempe.”

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUPio View Post
Been lurking the Phoenix/Tempe forum for a few years since moving here from Denver. Thank you to everyone posting the great updates and photos! There are many of us who appreciate the effort from afar! I’m impressed with the level of development throughout Phoenix and the rest of the Valley but especially in Tempe. Definitely an impressive vision coming to life and a strong sense of “place” that it’s leaning into. It’s already punching way above its size. If the entertainment district and South Pier can come to fruition in a thoughtful way this can be a very special destination.

Im excited to see how things look in 5 years!
Welcome!

Yeah it's been fun to watch, and doesn't seem to be slowing down any time soon.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Construction has officially started on Parcel 3G (SEC of Rural and 6th St). Plus renderings!

https://www.yourvalley.net/tempe-ind...complex,350908

Another Novus project that appears to be less grand than the vision for the district.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 8:52 PM
Skyriser

^ Huh? This is consistent with their land use planning. The SEC of Rural and 6th St has never been programmed for significant height.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 6:55 AM

I have to agree with combusean. I personally like it. Much nicer than the development currently being built next to the Hyatt. That one was bellow expectations. Lol!

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 11:21 PM
Skyriser

I didn't say I necessarily liked it, I'm starting to glaze over low-rises at this point but 7 stories is still pretty decent.

I was just saying this is consistent with their original vision, not any less grand. It seems Novus is filling in the low rise stuff in the initial phases and then I suppose they'll be shifting over to towers when the neighborhood is built out enough to create/support the higher-end demand.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2022, 8:47 PM

Old Posted Dec 25, 2022, 8:50 PM

Development by Rio Salado behind the Pier development.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2022, 8:51 PM

Old Posted Dec 28, 2022, 5:28 PM

Looks like 16 E University is going to be given an initial presentation at the next DRC study session! Can't wait to see the renderings!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2022, 6:04 PM

the Pier actually looks tall - awesome!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest