HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Isn't it the economic reality of our situation though? You generally only shop at a hardware store with any sort of regularity if you own your property.

Home ownership in the lower income bracket isn't what it used to be, and in Winnipeg - those low income areas are generally concentrated within the central areas.

If you do own a house/condo - you likely aren't lower income, and probably can afford a car and to drive to somewhere like Home Depot, which for all the nostalgic attractiveness of a "neighbourhood" hardware store is far more likely to be a one stop shop for you.

So if the economic reality of Winnipeg's situation is core areas are low income, low income people probably aren't frequenting "neighbourhood" hardware stores, and neither are middle or high income people..?

I too want more small business and mom and pop operations, but small, independent hardware stores aren't going to be a thing again in Winnipeg - probably ever.

Yes, I suppose it's a bit of a chicken or egg situation... I think my point was that there's nothing inherent to a business like this that dooms it to fail, even with big box competition.

Rather than throw our hands up and say there's nothing we can do, we can recognize these as spillover effects from the choices we make in planning our city. Exactly the kind of choices that the 15-minute city proponents want to reverse.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xubiqtss View Post
Yes, I suppose it's a bit of a chicken or egg situation... I think my point was that there's nothing inherent to a business like this that dooms it to fail, even with big box competition.

Rather than throw our hands up and say there's nothing we can do, we can recognize these as spillover effects from the choices we make in planning our city. Exactly the kind of choices that the 15-minute city proponents want to reverse.
I think a more likely reason for the disappearance of local stores is the economics. Suppliers won't sell stock to stores at a profitable price if they aren't buying skids at a time. Unfortunate reality of globalization.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 10:59 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
I think a more likely reason for the disappearance of local stores is the economics. Suppliers won't sell stock to stores at a profitable price if they aren't buying skids at a time. Unfortunate reality of globalization.
thats where u need to be like matix i gues

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 11:10 PM

Quote:
I guess, but they survive elsewhere in Canada. You can chock it up to density, but the density of Osborne Village should certainly be able to carry an independent hardware store.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xubiqtss View Post
I guess, but they survive elsewhere in Canada. You can chock it up to density, but the density of Osborne Village should certainly be able to carry an independent hardware store.
They don't really survive in Canada. They ones your thinking of are stores like Home Hardware, those little storefronts are mainly there to front catalogue and now online orders, with some selection of stock here or there. The independent hardware à la Pollock's is rare anywhere in Canada.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Years ago before Kildonan Hardware on Henderson Hwy closed up the lady running it was trying to work with some of the other independent Winnipeg hardware stores to do group buying as the suppliers did not want to break a case open to ship her a few things.

Even with doing that the owners could not get good wholesale prices for their retail prices to be near the big box stores so she closed down like Cordon Hardware is doing.........
Oh, you gave me a bit of a laugh. I'll be tactful here and just say that it was always quite an experience shopping at that store.

Here is a photo of the Kildonan Hardware store taken around 1950. The building is still there, now utilized as a dental office. The buildings on both sides are also still in existence. The apartment block over seven decades later has an identical appearance today. The three story walk-up apartment blocks, ubiquitous in Winnipeg, have sure stood the test of time. Note the streetcar tracks. East Kildonan cars would operate about a half a mile further north and turn back at John Black Loop (the locaton of the first John Black Church, the current one is a few blocks south), adjacent to, at that time, the Eldorado Drive-In theatre, or roughly where the Northdale Mall is now situated.

https://winnipegarchitecture.ca/wp-c...2/KHWRA-51.jpg

In later years, Kildonan Hardware would re-locate a few blocks north, to 757 Henderson.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Oh, you gave me a bit of a laugh. I'll be tactful here and just say that it was always quite an experience shopping at that store.

Here is a photo of the Kildonan Hardware store taken around 1950. The building is still there, now utilized as a dental office. The buildings on both sides are also still in existence. The apartment block over seven decades later has an identical appearance today. The three story walk-up apartment blocks, ubiquitous in Winnipeg, have sure stood the test of time. Note the streetcar tracks. East Kildonan cars would operate about a half a mile further north and turn back at John Black Loop (the locaton of the first John Black Church, the current one is a few blocks south), adjacent to, at that time, the Eldorado Drive-In theatre, or roughly where the Northdale Mall is now situated.

In later years, Kildonan Hardware would re-locate a few blocks north, to 757 Henderson.
Very cool, thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ I get it. But that "small" store front is also backed by a huge website that you can order stuff and pick up when it is convenient - so it's a "neighbourhood" hardware store by looks only. Home Hardware are great BTW. I wish there were some within Winnipeg.
Our Home Hardware in Lorette is incredible. Small, but they can bring in anything on the website. Local owner active in the community and the store stocks pretty much any hardware item you might need and more. It's the model that could work as a community hardware store in the City. Pricing is competitive with the big box stores, and the sale prices are lower than the big box stores.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Did you ever make it down to the basement? If you thought Martin had stuff packed on the main floor he had lots more odds and ends down there.

It relocated to the 757 Henderson location after Martin retired and the lady that worked for him bought the name and some stock and downsized to a smaller location

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 11:44 PM
surely you agree with me

^ Number Ten Architectural Group’s first building.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 5:38 PM

Promising article about the developments in OV.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...sborne-village

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Promising article about the developments in OV.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...sborne-village
"The exterior of the Osborne Terraces could still see some design changes before the building opens. Options for a mural on the southwest-facing (back lane) wall are being explored to add some more flare to the new gateway of the Osborne Village."

Interesting. I think that wall is mainly visible from the park behind the building and not from many other vantage points.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post
"The exterior of the Osborne Terraces could still see some design changes before the building opens. Options for a mural on the southwest-facing (back lane) wall are being explored to add some more flare to the new gateway of the Osborne Village."

Interesting. I think that wall is mainly visible from the park behind the building and not from many other vantage points.
Beauty for beauty's sake? Sign me the fuck up lol

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 12:33 AM

2nd floor framing happening at 339 Wardlaw Ave:

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 12:35 AM

Balconies are starting to go on at 160 Osborne St:

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 12:36 AM

Looks like Poutine King is open already, that was fast.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 12:38 AM

It looks like Super Deluxe Pizza has rebranded as Fella's Pizza. I noticed the business was for sale for awhile, so it's probably been bought by new owners.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 1:14 AM

Thanks for the updates

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 5:04 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post

Yeah. We left it as a white smooth stucco wall so a mural could be added. The thought was maybe to engage the school to be part of it.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
Looks like Poutine King is open already, that was fast.

did new yorker pizza buy its sign letters at a clearance sale

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan