HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegster View Post
I walk by this everyday and I'm a little surprised by how small the foundation seems. Do we have an idea what the building will look like? (I know there was a proposal from some years ago.)
I think this was the latest one approved by the city

(source: WFP)

so i'm guessing all the excavation and foundation work is happening at the front of the site, and the back half is parking at grade with residential units above

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post

so i'm guessing all the excavation and foundation work is happening at the front of the site, and the back half is parking at grade with residential units above
Yeah, that's my understanding of the design too.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post

(source: WFP)

The building was cut in half by the city. Neighbors complained about parking. Still looks like that from what I heard.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 7:50 PM
surely you agree with me

That’s too bad about prairie Donair. I thought it was good. Didn’t last long.

Poutine king is in its third spot in a few years. I guess he’s trying to sell the bar.

Cladding looks good on the second Zu building. Like the copper colour.

I wonder what the cladding is on that arch building.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 7:51 PM
surely you agree with me

Super sad about Corydon Hardware closing.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post

Looks like life size peg board

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 4:11 AM

Quote:
"white acrylic stucco system"

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Super sad about Corydon Hardware closing.
It's a damn shame. Are there any other neighborhood hardware stores left in the city?

When people talk about things like "15 minute cities", this is the sort of thing they should emphasize: no, it's not a grand conspiracy, we just want you to be able to buy a screwdriver or some nails without having to drive out to a giant box store on the edge of town.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 3:46 PM

Quote:
It's a damn shame. Are there any other neighborhood hardware stores left in the city?

When people talk about things like "15 minute cities", this is the sort of thing they should emphasize: no, it's not a grand conspiracy, we just want you to be able to buy a screwdriver or some nails without having to drive out to a giant box store on the edge of town.
The only one I can think of is LumberZone in downtown Transcona on Day St. Awesome lumber yard and hardware store. Nice lumber too.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 4:27 PM

Quote:

Pollock's Hardware on Main St.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 4:48 PM

McMunn & Yates at Pembina and Grant is convenient for a lot of people too. It's my go-to hardware store.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 4:59 PM
the first stamp is free

It's big box, but the Rona and Home Depot near Polo Park are conveniently located for the West End / Wolseley areas.

It would be nearly impossible for "Neighbourhood" hardware stores to compete with the big stores now. It's just the reality of the situation.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
McMunn & Yates at Pembina and Grant is convenient for a lot of people too. It's my go-to hardware store.
Great store, and the company is headquartered in Dauphin.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
It's big box, but the Rona and Home Depot near Polo Park are conveniently located for the West End / Wolseley areas.

It would be nearly impossible for "Neighbourhood" hardware stores to compete with the big stores now. It's just the reality of the situation.
Perhaps that's true, but Toronto manages to have all these little Home Hardware's (a chain, but still) scattered through the old neighborhoods which are an amazing resource, particularly for folks who don't (or don't want to) drive.

And yeah, I forgot about Pollock's! Love that place.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 7:15 PM
the first stamp is free

^ I would not consider Home Hardware on the same level as a Pollock's. There are several in rural MB that are on the Rona size scale. And even if there are smaller ones located in some more urban areas of cities like Toronto, that isn't really a comparable to Winnipeg IMO.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 7:39 PM

Quote:
^ I would not consider Home Hardware on the same level as a Pollock's. There are several in rural MB that are on the Rona size scale. And even if there are smaller ones located in some more urban areas of cities like Toronto, that isn't really a comparable to Winnipeg IMO.
Sure, I get that, one can just dream I suppose. But the ones I'm thinking of are *much* smaller: https://g.co/kgs/5BdvGzR

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 7:45 PM
the first stamp is free

^ I get it. But that "small" store front is also backed by a huge website that you can order stuff and pick up when it is convenient - so it's a "neighbourhood" hardware store by looks only. Home Hardware are great BTW. I wish there were some within Winnipeg.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 6:04 PM

Quote:

I think it's important to note that the "reality of the situation" is a carryover of car-centric planning and a culture heavily reliant on vehicles, and not necessarily an economic reality.

These stores can and do work in other places. Places where walking to the corner store for a can of paint makes far more sense than a trip on public transit out to the suburbs.

Praying for more hardware stores, bakeries, and small grocers, not more weed shops and fast food in our core neighbourhoods.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 7:40 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by xubiqtss View Post
I think it's important to note that the "reality of the situation" is a carryover of car-centric planning and a culture heavily reliant on vehicles, and not necessarily an economic reality.

These stores can and do work in other places. Places where walking to the corner store for a can of paint makes far more sense than a trip on public transit out to the suburbs.

Praying for more hardware stores, bakeries, and small grocers, not more weed shops and fast food in our core neighbourhoods.
Isn't it the economic reality of our situation though? You generally only shop at a hardware store with any sort of regularity if you own your property.

Home ownership in the lower income bracket isn't what it used to be, and in Winnipeg - those low income areas are generally concentrated within the central areas.

If you do own a house/condo - you likely aren't lower income, and probably can afford a car and to drive to somewhere like Home Depot, which for all the nostalgic attractiveness of a "neighbourhood" hardware store is far more likely to be a one stop shop for you.

So if the economic reality of Winnipeg's situation is core areas are low income, low income people probably aren't frequenting "neighbourhood" hardware stores, and neither are middle or high income people..?

I too want more small business and mom and pop operations, but small, independent hardware stores aren't going to be a thing again in Winnipeg - probably ever.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 7:42 PM

Years ago before Kildonan Hardware on Henderson Hwy closed up the lady running it was trying to work with some of the other independent Winnipeg hardware stores to do group buying as the suppliers did not want to break a case open to ship her a few things.

Even with doing that the owners could not get good wholesale prices for their retail prices to be near the big box stores so she closed down like Cordon Hardware is doing.

I remember as a little kid the owner before her had a bigger location on Henderson and sold all sorts of products besides normal hardware items like bicycles, lawnmowers, snowblowers and even guns.

At one point we even a full line lumber store on Henderson in North Kildonan (Redekoop Lumber). It was sold around 1979 to another family owned company and renamed Poulet Lumber before the Poulets sold the property in 1986 to be developed as a shopping mall

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan