HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #12681  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 3:35 AM
Calfan12 Calfan12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Edmonton area
Posts: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
Only F8 is currently flying YEG-YOW and twice weekly at that.

YEG-YOW on AC was supposed to return sometime in March. WS' flight doesn't come back until May 1st. Then there's also W0 starting YEG-YOW on April 25th.

Regarding Canada-Europe, I'll be shocked if everything that's loaded for summer 2022 will actually operate.
I would not be surprised if WestJet cuts back on Edmonton YEG - Ottawa YOW flight ✈️route this upcoming spring/summer 2022 & let their subsidiary Swoop fly it & this is already happening on Edmonton to Winnipeg YWG routing is currently on Swoop and WestJet cutting back on it until March.

As it will free up a WestJet Boeing 737 to use & operate at its 3 busiest Hubs in Calgary ,Toronto & Vancouver!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12682  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 5:02 AM
casper casper is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria
Posts: 5,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Don't know if anybody has been following the chaos over 5G wireless launch in the USA and its effect on airline schedules. Canadian airlines say they won't be effected:


MONTREAL -- Canadian airlines say flights to the U.S. remain unaffected by the rollout of new 5G wireless technology that has sparked blowback from many large carriers.

Several international airlines cancelled flights to the United States this week over concerns that 5G mobile phone service could interfere with aircraft technology.

On Tuesday, telecommunications giants Verizon and AT&T announced last-minute delays to Wednesday's service launch near key U.S. airports -- the third postponement since early December -- after U.S. carriers warned that the wireless frequency could cause widespread flight disruptions.

Critics say the new C-band 5G service operates in a frequency range that could interfere with radio altimeters, which measure an aircraft's height above the ground and help pilots land in low visibility.

Air Canada, WestJet Airlines Inc. and Transat A.T. say no flights to the U.S. have been cancelled due to the issue...

....Emirates president Tim Clark pulled no punches when discussing the issue. He told CNN it was "one of the most delinquent, utterly irresponsible" situations he'd ever seen as it involved a failure by government, science and industry.

Of particular concern appears to be older Boeing 777 wide-body jetliners. Emirates only flies that model and the Airbus A380 jumbo jet -- and it was among one of the most affected airlines.

Japan's All Nippon Airways cancelled 20 flights to cities such as Chicago, Los Angeles and New York after the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration "indicated that radio waves from the 5G wireless service may interfere with aircraft altimeters," the carrier said. Along with Japan Airlines, it said Boeing announced restrictions on airlines flying its 777s....


https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/canadian...unch-1.1709997
In the case of AC I wonder if this is not an issue for them because the instrumentation on their older aircraft have been upgraded or they simply switch all the US flights to the max and 220s
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12683  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 6:26 AM
thenoflyzone thenoflyzone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 2,862
^ It’s not an issue for AC because they rarely use their 777s on flights to the US. Overflying the US is not an issue.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12684  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 2:36 PM
hehehe hehehe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: LST (Tas)
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
So 18 flights for Vancouver and 15 flights for Calgary initially.
It seems 18 and 18 for both to me (YYZ ramps up to daily from YYC less than a week later)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12685  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 8:03 PM
Dominion301 Dominion301 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by hehehe View Post
Yeah what was the ice skating rink in reference to??
It was this on their Twitter feed a couple of weeks ago: "While the weather outside is frightful, we look forward to lacing up our skates to hit one of the world’s largest natural outdoor rinks when we fly to our next destination.
This is our last destination teaser before our BIG announcement soon!"

I guess the canal isn't considered 'natural', while Winnipeg's skate pathway is.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12686  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 8:08 PM
Dominion301 Dominion301 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfan12 View Post
I would not be surprised if WestJet cuts back on Edmonton YEG - Ottawa YOW flight ✈️route this upcoming spring/summer 2022 & let their subsidiary Swoop fly it & this is already happening on Edmonton to Winnipeg YWG routing is currently on Swoop and WestJet cutting back on it until March.

As it will free up a WestJet Boeing 737 to use & operate at its 3 busiest Hubs in Calgary ,Toronto & Vancouver!!
I disagree as it would greatly reduce connectivity to the WS network. Out of YOW, you'll only be able to get to YEG and YXX on Swoop. Also, AC will only fly YEG-YOW once daily this summer instead of the typical pre-pandemic summer seasonal 2x.

Crazy to think that five carriers (well 4 1/2 as W0's essentially a flanker brand) could be on YOW-YEG seasonally by the end of 2022 if Porter announce YOW-YEG on the E95.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12687  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 11:16 PM
davidivivid's Avatar
davidivivid davidivivid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ville de Québec City
Posts: 2,724
__________________
"I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I lost two weeks" Joe E. Lewis
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12688  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 11:55 PM
casper casper is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria
Posts: 5,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
^ It’s not an issue for AC because they rarely use their 777s on flights to the US. Overflying the US is not an issue.
I though the problem applied to avionics on a number of older aircraft. Is it just the 777?

AC has some fairly old A320 series aircraft.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12689  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 12:18 AM
thenoflyzone thenoflyzone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 2,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
I though the problem applied to avionics on a number of older aircraft. Is it just the 777?

AC has some fairly old A320 series aircraft.
Latest FAA update says pretty much all Boeing and Airbus models are ok.

https://www.faa.gov/newsroom/faa-statements-5g

Doomsday scenario is pretty much done.

Quote:
The FAA issued new approvals Thursday that allow an estimated 78 percent of the U.S. commercial fleet to perform low-visibility landings at airports where wireless companies deployed 5G C-band. This now includes some regional jets.

Airplane models with one of the 13 cleared altimeters include all Boeing 717, 737, 747, 757, 767, 777, 787, MD-10/-11; all Airbus A300, A310, A319, A320, A330, A340, A350 and A380 models; and some Embraer 170 and 190 regional jets.
The A321 isn't listed in that release, but the following FAA website specifically mentions it, so basically all Boeing and Airbus models are in the clear.

https://www.faa.gov/5g

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidivivid View Post
...
Nice pics ! YQB has come along way from 15 or so years ago.

Last edited by thenoflyzone; Jan 21, 2022 at 12:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12690  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 3:19 AM
casper casper is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria
Posts: 5,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
Latest FAA update says pretty much all Boeing and Airbus models are ok.

https://www.faa.gov/newsroom/faa-statements-5g

Doomsday scenario is pretty much done.



The A321 isn't listed in that release, but the following FAA website specifically mentions it, so basically all Boeing and Airbus models are in the clear.

https://www.faa.gov/5g
Perhaps I am reading this incorrectly. My read of it is there are 13 models of altimerter instruments that have been cleared. The cleared models happen to be installed on all those aircraft. That does not mean all aircraft in each time are clear. I.e. Some 777 with one of these 13 instruments are clear.

The real issue here is all of these reviews and assessments should have happened before the 5G equipment was allowed to be installed not after. The US Government screwed up. That is an ongoing theme these days.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12691  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 9:01 PM
hehehe hehehe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: LST (Tas)
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
It was this on their Twitter feed a couple of weeks ago: "While the weather outside is frightful, we look forward to lacing up our skates to hit one of the world’s largest natural outdoor rinks when we fly to our next destination.
This is our last destination teaser before our BIG announcement soon!"

I guess the canal isn't considered 'natural', while Winnipeg's skate pathway is.
That makes sense, thank you
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12692  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 10:50 PM
thenoflyzone thenoflyzone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 2,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Perhaps I am reading this incorrectly. My read of it is there are 13 models of altimerter instruments that have been cleared. The cleared models happen to be installed on all those aircraft. That does not mean all aircraft in each time are clear. I.e. Some 777 with one of these 13 instruments are clear.

The real issue here is all of these reviews and assessments should have happened before the 5G equipment was allowed to be installed not after. The US Government screwed up. That is an ongoing theme these days.
The fact they mention 78% of all the US commercial fleet seems to suggest it's all Boeings and Airbuses.

The balance is probably the CRJs, the E145s, the remaining E170/E190s and everything smaller that might have a rad altimeter.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12693  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 1:10 AM
thewave46 thewave46 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
The fact they mention 78% of all the US commercial fleet seems to suggest it's all Boeings and Airbuses.

The balance is probably the CRJs, the E145s, the remaining E170/E190s and everything smaller that might have a rad altimeter.
I didn’t see the A220 cleared by the FAA.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12694  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 7:31 AM
casper casper is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria
Posts: 5,183
Faro has had regular service in the winter. However this looks to be the first regular service in the summer.

Faro is basically the Algarve region of Portugal. The airport is over run with discount and vacation airlines. It is a major European tourist destination.

https://www.theportugalnews.com/news...d-canada/64700

This should ideally be in the range of the MAX and A321. Wonder if we will also see AC and WS enter the market with smaller aircraft.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12695  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 9:52 PM
thenoflyzone thenoflyzone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 2,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Faro has had regular service in the winter. However this looks to be the first regular service in the summer.

Faro is basically the Algarve region of Portugal. The airport is over run with discount and vacation airlines. It is a major European tourist destination.

https://www.theportugalnews.com/news...d-canada/64700

This should ideally be in the range of the MAX and A321. Wonder if we will also see AC and WS enter the market with smaller aircraft.


Always thought they served Faro in the summertime.

Speaking of narrowbody flights from Canada to Europe, Icelandair will resume YUL next summer.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/29...ee-new-routes/

Still no word on YEG though. I'm confident that route will return as well, eventually.
FI has been pushing their Max 8 and 9s all the way to SEA and MCO, and they are extremely happy with the performance of those aircraft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
I didn’t see the A220 cleared by the FAA.
I don't consider the CSeries an Airbus product....

Apparently All CRJ's and A220s got FAA approval last thursday, from my internal BBD source. The FAA press releases don't seem to be too detail oriented....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12696  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 10:04 PM
thewave46 thewave46 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post


Always thought they served Faro in the summertime.

Speaking of narrowbody flights from Canada to Europe, Icelandair will resume YUL next summer.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/29...ee-new-routes/

Still no word on YEG though. I'm confident that route will return as well, eventually.
FI has been pushing their Max 8 and 9s all the way to SEA and MCO, and they are extremely happy with the performance of those aircraft.
I didn’t think the MAX had the legs for SEA from Iceland.

Rumors were swirling that they were hunting for A320neos and the XLR as a 757 replacement. Maybe Boeing can come up with a screaming deal and they’ll stay 737. Lord knows the 737 could use the good news.

I am curious if more big mainstream airlines keep with the 737. KLM has gone A320, Air Canada seems to be waffling on committing further to the 737. Otherwise, it seems like a US and discount airline special these days.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12697  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 10:21 PM
thenoflyzone thenoflyzone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 2,862
^

https://www.visir.is/g/20222211429d/...raegari-thotum

Used google translate.

Quote:
Boeing Max's good results postpone purchase of longer-range jets

Icelandair intends to wait with the decision to purchase larger jets, as the Boeing Max jets have proved to be more suitable than the company's route network. Boeing Dreamliner wide-body jets and Airbus jets are among those that Icelandair is looking at to cover more distant destinations.

In Station 2's news , it was recalled that when the Icelandair board decided in 2012 to buy the Boeing 737 Max jets, it was assumed that later larger and longer-range jets would have to be bought to handle more distant destinations at the same time as the Boeing 757 was reduced in fleet. The Max aircraft were intended to serve the company's destinations in Europe but also those on the east coast of the United States, which are closest to Iceland. The reality has been that they hurry much further, including to Orlando and Seattle.

Icelandair has now decided to get two Max aircraft for the summer. Pressure on new species has decreased.

"It's just more efficient in terms of fuel consumption, uses less fuel than expected. This means that it can then fly further, "says Bogi Nils Bogason, CEO of Icelandair.

A total of fourteen Max aircraft will be in Icelandair's fleet next summer. This means that the Maxars will be more than the 757s, which have been the company's mainstays for thirty years. But now they are about to disappear from the company's service, but it is seventeen years since Boeing stopped production of the 757.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12698  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 11:49 PM
Dominion301 Dominion301 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,373
I saw on airliners.net that YVR-TYO on NH is being transferred back to NRT.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12699  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 1:21 AM
thenoflyzone thenoflyzone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 2,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
I saw on airliners.net that YVR-TYO on NH is being transferred back to NRT.
Makes sense I guess. More international connections through NRT, meaning greater transit traffic opportunities.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12700  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 2:13 AM
Denscity Denscity is offline
Suburbs Suck
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Within the Cordillera
Posts: 10,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
I saw on airliners.net that YVR-TYO on NH is being transferred back to NRT.
Was it Haneda till now?
__________________
Daily 1 hour flights from YCG to YVR & YYC on ACX
British Columbia is named after the Columbia River, a 4 minute walk from my house
Exactly halfway between Vancouver and Calgary
castlegar.ca
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:55 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.