LA

Seattle

DC

Boston

Miami

Twitter - @Bread_Fixer

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 6:02 AM
Never Dell

Wish we had an upvote button! Thanks for posting.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 6:27 AM

Rikers Island! That's a big blue dot.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 7:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
Rikers Island! That's a big blue dot.
The huge blue dot by the Chicago label is the Cook County Jail. Perhaps the Census changed where prisoners are counted?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 10:59 AM
good time not a long time

What's the issue with northwest Manhattan? Now that I think about it I've somehow never been to that area of NYC so I don't know what the problem would be where everyone seems to be moving out of there.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 1:30 PM

Looks like a pretty consistent theme of population loss in inner-ring non-core areas across most cities.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminyCricket II View Post
What's the issue with northwest Manhattan? Now that I think about it I've somehow never been to that area of NYC so I don't know what the problem would be where everyone seems to be moving out of there.
That's Washington Heights/Inwood. It's a dense immigrant neighborhood that is rapidly gentrifying, so the family sizes are dropping as the neighborhood undergoes demographic change.

There was just a giant rezoning of the area, allowing new residential towers, so the population will almost certainly see an increase in the 2030 Census.

If you saw the movie In the Heights, you get the picture. Actually that was one of the underlying movie themes. Working class immigrants leaving because of gentrification.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 2:44 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRox View Post
The huge blue dot by the Chicago label is the Cook County Jail. Perhaps the Census changed where prisoners are counted?
Similar thing with the Philly map - the big blue dot next to State Road is where the prisons are. I think it's just due to decreased jail populations as opposed to changing where inmates are counted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
Looks like a pretty consistent theme of population loss in inner-ring non-core areas across most cities.
Yeah, this was my main takeaway from this. Or at the very least, if not population loss, those areas are growing noticeably slower. Was surprising to see in LA and Miami in particular.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 2:57 PM

Philly's high-growth areas don't surprise me at all. A decade ago, projects within certain areas of what is now considered Greater Center City (Girard to Tasker, river to river) would have been considered risky. Now, aside from a few PHA-owned blocks, everything within Greater CC is fair game. Entire neighborhoods--such as Point Breeze and Francisville--have been rebuilt, and neighborhoods farther outside of Greater CC are starting to see investment. By the end of this decade, I wouldn't be surprised if everything below Lehigh Avenue is growing. In West Philly, everything east of 56th Street will surely be growing, especially if Penn extends the boundaries of its homeownership program again.

The only growing areas that surprise me, however, are those growing to the northeast of Cottman Avenue in the Northeast. I expected neighborhoods in the Far Northeast to lose population after the PPD changed its residency requirement a few years ago (many police officers prefer the cookie-cutter suburban homes of the Far Northeast, which are close to Bucks County), but I guess it didn't have has much of an effect as I thought it would.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 3:20 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
That's Washington Heights/Inwood. It's a dense immigrant neighborhood that is rapidly gentrifying, so the family sizes are dropping as the neighborhood undergoes demographic change.
Yep, there are two fairly different types of neighborhood population decrease.

Using Chicago as an example:

1. Englewood - decrease in housing units and population as people are deciding to leave the neighborhood with very few others moving in to replace them. A textbook example of the vicious cycle of urban abandonment.

2. Avondale - an increase in the number of housing units as the neighborhood gentrifies, yet overall population still decreases because the gentrifier new-comers have considerably smaller average household sizes than the immigrant families they are replacing.

The blue dots on these maps do not differentiate between the two above phenomenons.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 3:21 PM

Quote:
I think we are seeing the future urban form here, doughnuts.

Wealthy exurbs, wealthy core, poor inner ring suburbs.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 3:32 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

teens and young adults are already removed from rikers, thats probably the biggest drop. and lately women and transgender were sent upstate due to staffing troubles (but also per long term plans to eventually close rikers, they wont be coming back). and last, but not least, there is the no bail thing, the governor's recent less is more release act and a general decline in population for the men. so a big loss dot for rikers is funny to see, but not unexpected. its probably even more pronounced at this moment.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 3:35 PM

The LA pattern was unexpected for me. I'm guessing the minor losses in places like Echo Park, Silver Lake and Los Feliz were due to continued gentrification of dense areas with formerly larger household sizes?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

There was just a giant rezoning of the area, allowing new residential towers, so the population will almost certainly see an increase in the 2030 Census.

If you saw the movie In the Heights, you get the picture. Actually that was one of the underlying movie themes. Working class immigrants leaving because of gentrification.
yep. I grew up in Washington Heights, and still have connections to the neighborhood and the building I grew up in. As a kid, in the mid 90's, our Dominican neighbors had 6 kids living in a 2 bedroom apartment. That's 8 people living in like 900 sq ft. I know today that same unit has one old lady living in the unit, she's been there like 15 years. My parents moved to Staten Island, but our apartment is now occupied by 2 upwardly mobile hipsters. I wouldn't be surprised if the building I grew up in has about half the number of people in it today vs. 25 years ago. With that said, the neighborhood has certainly cleaned up quite a bit and is a much better place to live today vs. 25 years ago.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 3:39 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
The LA pattern was unexpected for me. I'm guessing the minor losses in places like Echo Park, Silver Lake and Los Feliz were due to continued gentrification of dense areas with formerly larger household sizes?
i would imagine so, just like wash hts in upper manhattan. the combo of attractive big apts, smaller family sizes and gentrification.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk View Post
Similar thing with the Philly map - the big blue dot next to State Road is where the prisons are. I think it's just due to decreased jail populations as opposed to changing where inmates are counted.

Yeah, this was my main takeaway from this. Or at the very least, if not population loss, those areas are growing noticeably slower. Was surprising to see in LA and Miami in particular.
I can speak to the Miami pattern. It breaks down very clearly along how wealthy the neighborhood is. The working class areas are all blue. It seems from what I have seen in many of these neighborhoods, the kids have all moved out and what is left is the mostly older empty nest parents.

South Beach is the exception. That is shrinking due to residents being priced out by AirBnB and short term rentals.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 7:07 PM
Never Dell

This is interesting for Seattle.

The one reduction appears to be Greek Row at the UW.

The mixed-use districts boomed, including on the Eastside.

The areas with all or nearly all houses just filled a few gaps and might have more adult kids living at home or roommates due to higher prices.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
The only growing areas that surprise me, however, are those growing to the northeast of Cottman Avenue in the Northeast. I expected neighborhoods in the Far Northeast to lose population after the PPD changed its residency requirement a few years ago (many police officers prefer the cookie-cutter suburban homes of the Far Northeast, which are close to Bucks County), but I guess it didn't have has much of an effect as I thought it would.
I would presume this is an increase in household size? That area is pretty rapidly shifting from working-class/lower-middle class white to a pretty even mixture of black/Latino/Asian.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 7:58 PM

Very cool. I'd be interested in seeing central Atlanta, particularly Midtown.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 8:04 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
I can speak to the Miami pattern. It breaks down very clearly along how wealthy the neighborhood is. The working class areas are all blue. It seems from what I have seen in many of these neighborhoods, the kids have all moved out and what is left is the mostly older empty nest parents.

South Beach is the exception. That is shrinking due to residents being priced out by AirBnB and short term rentals.

i wondered about residential and airbnb in a place like south beach. could there be more info somewhere? like how many there actually are in an area? seems like airbnb is kind of secretive about it -- as much as they can be.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions