Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 11:06 PM

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 5:58 PM

Has anyone heard anything about this?

http://willbruderarchitects.com/proj...on-on-central/

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 6:19 PM

/\ No. Will Bruder seems like a fine architect, but it seems all of his high rise stuff is just pie-in-the-sky stuff he does for fun, maybe hoping to get hired for someone's grand plan.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 6:58 PM
Skyriser

Not necessarily--there's a preapp conference for a condo project on that lot:

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 7:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
/\ No. Will Bruder seems like a fine architect, but it seems all of his high rise stuff is just pie-in-the-sky stuff he does for fun, maybe hoping to get hired for someone's grand plan.
No so fast....The rendering and the lot it appears to be on just sold last week. So, it's very possible (if it's the right lot). It was the final parcel to secure Central frontage. Mmmm.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 7:06 PM

/\ There have been projects in the past that Bruder designed something for, but didn't seem to be the project's actual architect. W Hotel comes to mind. Maybe he's trying to get hired by the people behind the preapp.

I dunno.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 9:38 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
No so fast....The rendering and the lot it appears to be on just sold last week. So, it's very possible (if it's the right lot). It was the final parcel to secure Central frontage. Mmmm.
Where do you see get to see sales data for properties?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 10:08 PM

"Micro-Housing" Continues to Try to be a Thing

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...nned-near.html

Quote:
Micro-housing — small residential studios in urban settings such as Manhattan and Hong Kong — are officially on the drawing boards in Phoenix.
Developer Michael Lafferty is the latest with micro-housing plans near downtown Phoenix.

Lafferty is looking at bringing between 190 and 230 micro units to 12th and Van Buren streets just east of downtown Phoenix.

“I’m developing with purpose,” said Lafferty, president of Phoenix-based Lafferty Development who wants to spark redevelopment along Van Buren Street. “I don’t develop storage units in Scottsdale.”

The $25 million St. Ambrose project gained zoning approvals from the city of Phoenix earlier this week. Lafferty could start construction before the end of year or in early 2016.

Lafferty is still determining specifics of the St. Ambrose project. That includes whether the project will be affordable housing or asking market-rate rents or if it will be condos.

Lafferty said he is looking at $125,000 to $250,000 price points...

Lafferty said he will have a 700-square-foot, three-bedroom concept at his development aimed at roommate living situation.

He also has plans for a cafe and bakery as part of the development on Van Buren Street traditionally known for used car lots and cheap motels. Stretches of the street were once known as Phoenix’s main ‘red light’ district.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 10:09 PM

Exclusive: Micro-housing project planned near downtown Phoenix

(duplicate - you beat me to it)

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 10:41 PM

Anything with his name on it is iffy, he's not an experienced developer, but he knows how to run a business and make money. Could go either way.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 10:45 PM
Skyriser

^ Didn't he get the ball rolling for Epoch's 11 and 12 Capitol Place apartments?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 10:49 PM
Skyriser

Anyways, I mentioned St Ambrose in the Low and Mid-Rise thread.

Here's its zoning report:

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Documents/Z-28-15n.pdf

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 10:51 PM

He had a proposal where Capitol 11 is for a building called blue, but it was sold to epoch.

Sometimes there's more money in selling a ready to roll parcel with permits and designs than actually developing and you have no risk + immediate pay day.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
He had a proposal where Capitol 11 is for a building called blue, but it was sold to epoch.

Sometimes there's more money in selling a ready to roll parcel with permits and designs than actually developing and you have no risk + immediate pay day.
Well, Blue got push back on height. I would see too if the project I wanted to develop and invested alot of time and money in got shot down because it was too tall.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 11:11 PM
Skyriser

Yes, he did entitle and flip 11 and 12 Capital Place. Made a pretty penny on the deals.

http://www.berkadiarea.com/market-ne...cle.cfm?a=1563

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 11:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Where do you see get to see sales data for properties?
This is not the property directly north of the punchcard building which includes the hideous Pyramid (as I said I was not sure if was the exact property), but the block north (just south of closed McDonals). All the small lots facing central have been secured. This was land proposed for a big condo project called Sky something. They built a similar project in Las Vegas if I remember.

http://bit.ly/1I0mBWq

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Well, Blue got push back on height. I would see too if the project I wanted to develop and invested alot of time and money in got shot down because it was too tall.
It wasn't a project he "wanted to develop" though, it was a project he pushed through all the way to the ready phase and then sold.

It's not uncommon to do this. If I can make 80% of my estimated gross return without taking on the risk of development and get paid now instead of in 4 years you better believe I'm going to give that some serious consideration, and I've taken that route before.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 11:40 PM

Quote:
This is not the property directly north of the punchcard building which includes the hideous Pyramid (as I said I was not sure if was the exact property), but the block north (just south of closed McDonals). All the small lots facing central have been secured. This was land proposed for a big condo project called Sky something. They built a similar project in Las Vegas if I remember.

That's really interesting, I actually looked at buying an (class C) office building on Weldon a few years ago but got scared (not to mention the owners didn't want to play ball) and passed it up. Between Broadstone's development on Thomas and 3rd, Ocotillo getting the ball rolling on restaurants, and this potential building, I may have missed out on an opportunity here.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 11:42 PM
Skyriser

Quote:

This must be two separate projects: I can't find any plan reviews for the block between Weldon and Columbus on the east side of Central (one block north of the Punchcard).

The Bruder rendering looks like it's immediately north of the Punchcard, and there's a PAPP for that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest