HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
^Nope. Not date-rapey enough, plus he's not wearing boat loafers without socks.
On point.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 6:11 AM

HAHA, this is hilarious. Note that this is kind of NSFW for a few seconds, but pretty fucking funny. The comment about "can't wait to interact with the kids" couldn't have come at the wrong time

http://deadspin.com/comcast-sportsne...ium=socialflow

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
I'm not really seeing how Wirtz and the Ricketts are anything alike. One was doing common sense fan friendly outreach while the other arguably insult and demeans their fan base every chance they get. Also one has one of the highest payrolls in the NHL and the other has only slashed payroll in MLB (which I understand is the "plan" until ready to compete but it shouldn't be taken for granted they will spend wildly in the near future either).

Lets revisit what the Ricketts have brought to the table since they came to the scene.
- A bunch of 90-100 loss seasons.
The Ricketts inherited a team loaded with many brutal contracts and a poor farm system. So he hired one of the most highly regarded GMs in the game to change the organization. Wirtz inherited a team about to bear the fruits of being brutal for a decade.

Plus, the NHL has a very restrictive salary cap, so being one of the highest salary teams in the NHL means little. Pushing out Dale Tallon in favor of Bowman was a bold move though, as was hiring Epstein instead of just overpaying for more free agents soon to be on the decline of their careers.

Quote:
- Plans to develop the park and area around in some of the worse schlock design since the reconstruction of Navy Pier. A true Vegas meets Disney horror show. A plan that completely misses the opportunity to make the city proud and do well by their fans.
- A "macaroni noodle" for the outside of the park.
- A schlock shack called the Captain Morgan club that looks like its more suitable for a traveling carnival. And even if they didn't build it they have kept it up.
- A "Toyota" sign that looks ideal for a used car lot.
Yep, they have bad taste. But I can't say United Center's additions like the garish 'Madhouse on Madison' sign they hung up, the removal of prime 300 level seats (affordable seats) for 2 bars serving $8.50 beers and $10+ crap cocktails, a practice ice arena that looks like a prison. If the United Center was actually architecturally significant, I'm sure any Wirtz/Reinsdorf developments would be panned as well.

Quote:
- Embarrassingly creepy and faux-sentimental radio/TV ads that more make a mockery of their fan base then does justice to their project.
You could say, (many do!) that the Blackhawks do the same, with some of their sentimental commercials the past few years. (The current campaign is much better, however).

Quote:
- Clark the mascot. It would be fine if they brought him around to kid events and hospitals but I think MANY Cubs fans like to keep the game at the park about baseball (and beer and boobs). Many Cubs fans generally feel that gimmicks like fireworks, mascots Donut Races on jumbotrons, Leave those activities to other fans of other parks who can't draw even if they win 90 games in a regular basis.
I give you TommyHawk. Many hawks fans used to feel the way about the atmosphere at the Stadium, which still held into the United Center. It was old time hockey, lots of organ music, limited high volume rock/rap/pop. Now there is a feathered mascot urging hawks chants and plenty of Donut Races, Kiss Cam, fake volume meters all game long.

If Rocky inherited a team as dysfunctional as the Rickett's, the good will of putting games on TV and reconnecting with a lousy human being like Bobby Hull would have quickly been masked by the Marketing Machine of a McDonough organization. Winning championships helps. But there's certainly grumbling of many long time fans, it's kept in check because the product on the ice cancels out some of the other annoyances of how McDonough runs things.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 7:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I don't remember that. When was that again? If my math serves me right, this was around the time you got your drivers license, so I'm sure you know exactly what your talking about.
Fair enough. And I was never trying to suggest that Wrigley, prior to 08 or so, wasn't a tourist filled place. All I was saying is that, when I go to games in the last few years, it seems like everyone around me is there for their first time. Idk, clearly my rant seems absurd to you guys who are older than I am, but gimme a break. Does it really not feel like Ricketts is purposely gearing to the team and Wrigley to the out-of-town market??? I'm really starting to hate the random dude at the airport in Denver saying "oh I love Chicago! Go Cubs!"

And yes, back when I was a kid, the 90s, Chicago was not a very cool place to visit. Our tourism industry then and even in the early 00s consisted of mostly people within driving distance of the city. But today, it's unreal. Chicago seems more popular than ever and on par w say NYC or San Fran as far as national appeal. Am I not allowed to dislike the sudden popularity?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 9:22 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Am I not allowed to dislike the sudden popularity?
^ Tell you what:

Find another industry that will fill Chicago's hotel rooms and enrich our city coffers so that we can repair potholes, take out the trash, supply water, drain sewage, and run the trains and buses, and I'll let you dislike Chicago's 'sudden popularity'

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 10:24 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Am I not allowed to dislike the sudden popularity?
you're allowed to dislike whatever you want.

i simply take exception to your assertion that chicago's (and in particular wrigley field's) popularity with tourists is some new, all of a sudden thing.

your comments reek of a lack of perspective to me.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 4:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

your comments reek of a lack of perspective to me.
Probably true. My comments were emotionally charged and fueled by seeing that sign thing and then the new mascot. I can be a bit of a hysterical poster at times. I'm very aware of that. Sorry, I just love my city. And I love the Cubs despite everything and anything. Call it what you will, but all these changes has me seeing Tom Ricketts as the enemy. And I can't help that. :/

In any event...

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 10:27 PM

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 10:15 AM

Oh how my city has changed. Close to 15 years to clear a revamp of O'hare and going on 4 years for reworking Harry Carry town. Sheep leading the Shepards.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 6:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Ricketts has said repeatedly he won’t begin construction of his $500 million plan to renovate Wrigley and develop the land around it until rooftop club owners agree not to sue to block the two outfield signs.
Fuck Tom Ricketts. This is Chicago's team, not some fucking rich Kenilworth asshole from Nebraska's team. God this whole thing infuriates me.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 6:54 PM

Fuck the roof top owners. Maybe they should buy the team if they are so worried about losing their views.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
Fuck the roof top owners. Maybe they should buy the team if they are so worried about losing their views.
How exactly is this the fault of the rooftop owners. the CUBS willingly signed a contract with them. if they didnt want to abide by the contract, they shouldnt have entered into it in the first place. hell, forget signing. they created it!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
How exactly is this the fault of the rooftop owners. the CUBS willingly signed a contract with them. if they didnt want to abide by the contract, they shouldnt have entered into it in the first place.
My thoughts exactly. The vitriol directed at the rooftop owners was arguably justifiable the first time around - but now now. They have a contract! Why would they just roll over? If the cubs really want this they have to buy out the rooftops.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 7:19 PM

When you buy a business, you buy everything; the assets, the liabilities, and the contracts in place. For this billionaire to blame his neighbors for holding up a half-billion dollar improvement is a joke.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 8:21 PM

^^True that, and I am certainly not carrying water for the Ricketts, but really? It's ALL the Ricketts fault? There is no intransigence on the part of the roof top owners? I was under the impression that there had been significant negotiations between the club and the rooftop owners and it has been the rooftop folks who have junked it up.

Course now, the Ricketts will ride out the contract and then destroy the rooftop owners views completely.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Fuck Tom Ricketts. This is Chicago's team, not some fucking rich Kenilworth asshole from Nebraska's team. God this whole thing infuriates me.
Sounds like Mr. Servo would like the Cubs to adopt the same ownership model as the Packers...

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
^^True that, and I am certainly not carrying water for the Ricketts, but really? It's ALL the Ricketts fault? There is no intransigence on the part of the roof top owners? I was under the impression that there had been significant negotiations between the club and the rooftop owners and it has been the rooftop folks who have junked it up.
Oh, I definitely think everyone involved is acting like petulant 3 year olds. But ultimately its within the rooftop owners right to block the signage.

I still dont see why any of this is preventing Ricketts from moving ahead with other improvements.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 2:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Sounds like Mr. Servo would like the Cubs to adopt the same ownership model as the Packers...
I just wish the team wasn't owned by a fucking carpetbagger Nebraskan. I was always suspicious of this guy. The team should be owned by a Chicagoan. Dollar Tom Ricketts is going to destroy this team. Just watch.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 2:33 AM

Quote:
I just wish the team wasn't owned by a fucking carpetbagger Nebraskan. I was always suspicious of this guy. The team should be owned by a Chicagoan. Dollar Tom Ricketts is going to destroy this team. Just watch.
Yeah, never trust a Nebraskan. What do you mean by destroy the team? Do you think they'll start having troubles like not being able to end the season above .500? They might even go 100+ years without a pennant if he does enough damage.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 3:22 AM

Looks like the rooftops won. From Blair Kamin on Twitter:

Quote:
Wrigley v. rooftops: Cubs agree to move sign from back of right field to bldg. across Sheffield. Now put left field sign across Waveland.
Source: https://twitter.com/BlairKamin/statu...31399025852416

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development