HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 18, 2023, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityofneighborhoods View Post
There's a lot of amazing architectural gems in various areas of the south side. It's a shame that a bunch has been torn down, but we're still lucky at least to have a number of it still. This is a selfish reason of mine I hope to see the south side rise again at least - preserve amazing architecture down there.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2023, 2:04 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliusDoaner View Post
Look at these connected greystones

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8115...7i16384!8i8192

the southside is underrated when it comes to architectural beauty
yeah, you probably know this already, but this block is super awesome: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8142...7i16384!8i8192

Crazy that this house sold for under $300,000 in 2014: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...80816250_zpid/ (though I wouldn't be surprised if it had a lot of work done).

Old Posted Feb 19, 2023, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
There's a lot of amazing architectural gems in various areas of the south side. It's a shame that a bunch has been torn down, but we're still lucky at least to have a number of it still. This is a selfish reason of mine I hope to see the south side rise again at least - preserve amazing architecture down there.
https://www.amazon.com/Southern-Expo.../dp/0810140985

There’s even a book about it!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2023, 3:50 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
hah, did you also just listen to the WBEZ story on this?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2023, 5:56 AM
TL;DR

Right on cue!

The only nice thing about this building is the scale, which is basically a function of zoning and the developer's proforma. We've got jumbo utility brick in a flat red color, control joints and flashings handled in the most clumsy way imaginable, and the cheapest window system they could get. No relief or pattern to the brickwork, no division between the commercial ground floor and residential above, no treatment of the building crown at all. This kind of simplicity can work, but the execution has to be perfect. That's not what happened....

The only semi-decent part of this building is the side elevation where it steps down from all-brick, to nice rhythmic brick piers, to all-siding. Keeping the mature trees on that side was good too. but notice how the stair-stepping effect distracts from the shitty construction details. If you can't count on your GC/subs to deliver top notch quality, you can't rely on minimalism and you've gotta distract the eye somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPChicago View Post
I would suggest that the architecture we see in the neighborhoods, at this scale of density, from local firms is not simply plain but extremely bland and lacking in character for the most part. Yes, there are outliers, but I feel this is generally true. Bringing in outside talent to set examples for good design is a good thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf612 View Post

Old Posted Feb 20, 2023, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
hah, did you also just listen to the WBEZ story on this?
no I have the book. it's one of my favs along with "soviet architecture" book titled cosmic communist constructions

Old Posted Feb 20, 2023, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Right on cue!

The only nice thing about this building is the scale, which is basically a function of zoning and the developer's proforma. We've got jumbo utility brick in a flat red color, control joints and flashings handled in the most clumsy way imaginable, and the cheapest window system they could get. No relief or pattern to the brickwork, no division between the commercial ground floor and residential above, no treatment of the building crown at all. This kind of simplicity can work, but the execution has to be perfect. That's not what happened....

The only semi-decent part of this building is the side elevation where it steps down from all-brick, to nice rhythmic brick piers, to all-siding. Keeping the mature trees on that side was good too. but notice how the stair-stepping effect distracts from the shitty construction details. If you can't count on your GC/subs to deliver top notch quality, you can't rely on minimalism and you've gotta distract the eye somehow.
yeah those flashings and caulked control joints are piss poor... but maybe the flashing is the super cheap and thin plastic type that will break away in two years so you wont see it....

Old Posted Feb 20, 2023, 4:38 PM

Quote:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9091...i16384!8i8192\

This public housing building (Marshall Field Apartments) looks better than all these new market rate developments. Not low density not fitting for the area, not tall towers which is a recipe for crime, just perfectly sized low income apartments for the area. Gives a New York vibe.
I was actually thinking about this street - it does remind me of something more geared towards NY than here in parts of Lower Manhattan in terms of height. There's a few new 4-5 story proposals for right around here (like 1 of them replacing the 1 story Lan's Old Town and a 5 story proposal for right to the left of your link). I hope the developer of the site of the old horse stables down the block actually build what they intended (7 story building with over 250 units). That site has turned into an ugly vacant lot.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 1:56 PM

Quote:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9091...i16384!8i8192\

This public housing building (Marshall Field Apartments) looks better than all these new market rate developments. Not low density not fitting for the area, not tall towers which is a recipe for crime, just perfectly sized low income apartments for the area. Gives a New York vibe.
love the brickwork and those upper floor windows

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 2:19 PM

Crain's has an article about the rapid sale of new 3-flats in Woodlawn. It looks like the design standards are improving as well

Quick first sale a good sign for 'buy the block' developers in West Woodlawn
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/resi...ock-developers

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 2:24 PM
Show me the blueprints

Good lord

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 5:06 PM

that's a whole lotta bad

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Right on cue!

Yes. This building is a dog. And is surely not what I mean by "good plain architecture"...

I'm talking about firms that create in somewhat of a Chicago tradition and create solid, modern infill (Brininstool & Lynch, BKL, GREC, Studio Dwell, Filorama Talsma, Berkelhamer, UrbanWorks, the good stuff that Hanna occassionally puts out). If those guys had more work in key sites (rather than Norr or 360 Design or Vari) we'd have a lot of handsome-looking infill blocks. It's a matter of developers spending the money (not a lack of local talent).

Old Posted Feb 22, 2023, 6:47 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Question: is there a list of all of the Invest South/West projects, and a breakdown of which have been built, which have been awarded, and the remaining ones that have yet to be selected/awarded?

Mostly personal curiosity, but I would also love to see a running list, with renderings, of all the cool projects.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2023, 7:02 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Have yet to seen a single south/west project completed...
Yes, but that doesn't answer my question

Old Posted Feb 22, 2023, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Yes, but that doesn't answer my question
This is a year old but has an overview of all the site locations (from that time):
https://chicagoyimby.com/2022/02/cit...outh-west.html

Old Posted Feb 22, 2023, 7:44 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
This is a year old but has an overview of all the site locations (from that time):
https://chicagoyimby.com/2022/02/cit...outh-west.html
This is exactly what I was thinking of (dunno how I missed it considering I'm on ChiYimby all the time). Thanks!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2023, 11:26 PM
Chicago

812 W Adams

February 21, 2023

Old Posted Feb 22, 2023, 11:35 PM

LaSalle Reimagined IFP Response Summaries

Six adaptive reuse projects being proposed as part of LaSalle Street Reimagined will be discussed during a virtual community meeting from 5-6:30 p.m. on Thursday, March 2

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/site...proposals.html

Register VIA Zoom: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/regi...SY-39Cpt8UN7OA

Old Posted Feb 22, 2023, 11:50 PM
Plenary pleasures.

^^One thing I don't understand about this is, all the projects are for different buildings, according to the ChicagoYimby article, so it's not like they're are 5-6 developers competing for the same/one individual building

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development