HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 5, 2022, 2:18 PM

The temperature today is perfect, but my buddies both had busy days, so we decided to go out before dawn for a ride at the Hydrocut trails. For a few short minutes during the sunrise, the rising sun lit up all the leaves so the entire forest was lit up magnificently in red. My friend managed to capture this photo a bit earlier in the ride.

We were the only ones on the trails, and riding comfortably in shorts, and enjoying incredible scenery. Who would have thought I'd be having the most enjoyable riding of the year in November of all months?!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2022, 6:26 PM
Registered Drug User

Beautiful. I've never been to the Hydrocut, I keep telling myself I should go. Gotta get off the road.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2022, 7:06 PM

I know rentals basically weren't a thing during Covid due to bike shortages, but they might have some available again as stocks seem to be recovering.The Hydrocut is a pretty great intro to mountain biking; also Guelph Lake.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2022, 8:06 PM
Registered Drug User

I do actually have a mountain bike. I use it in the winter when I want to bomb around on the snowy roads, or go on the trail around the lake in Stratford.

One of these days I need to get myself motivated enough to get out on a proper trail.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2023, 5:45 AM
Registered Drug User

New records keep being set for bike share use in Toronto, according to the company who runs it. Apparently there were 3.5 million trips in 2021.

https://bikesharetoronto.com/news/a-look-back-on-2022/

That averages out to 12,603 trips per day, which seems fantastic to me. Undoubtedly the daily average over the warmer months is much higher than during winter, but either way you slice it, at some point a critical mass is going to be reached that will force the city to make bike infrastructure more comprehensive than it is, I would think.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2023, 12:34 AM
Registered Drug User

What kind of a constituency does this guy represent? Does he have a chance? Does the idea that the "bike lobby" has gone too far have any real traction?

https://twitter.com/anthonyfurey/sta...698168321?s=20

Old Posted Apr 22, 2023, 11:53 PM
Registered Drug User

I guess this has turned into my own blog.

The coming restrictions on motorized scooters in bike lanes in Quebec is interesting. I assume they're still allowed to ride on bike lanes in Toronto?

Quote:
Le temps des scooters électriques sur les pistes cyclables est compté

La présence de scooters électriques sur les pistes cyclables du Québec tire à sa fin. Selon ce que Le Devoir a appris, le gouvernement Legault travaille sur un projet visant à mettre fin à la cohabitation parfois périlleuse entre les vélos et certains véhicules électriques qui s’apparentent davantage à des motos qu’à des bicyclettes.

https://www.ledevoir.com/societe/tra...les-est-compte

Old Posted Apr 23, 2023, 12:04 AM
sick transit, gloria

Electric scooters are allowed in painted bike lanes in Toronto but not in protected cycle tracks / multi use trails. Nobody actually polices it though, like pretty much everything here.

Furry is a total fringe candidate as far as I can tell.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2023, 3:51 PM

I don't recall seeing the restrictions for the scooter in the Edmonton Area. I see them on most MUP.

As for cycling I will be out 3 times this weekend on 3 different bikes. Finally pulled the MTB out of storage. Gravel bike one day. the road bike the next and MTB during the week. Now that the MTB trails in Edmonton are dry and fast. Currently just over 100km a weekend but by the end of may should be doing over 200 a weekend.

The fat bike went back into storage 2 weeks ago. I believe I got 800km on it this winter.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2023, 5:34 PM

Ottawa's 2046 cycling master plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Ottawa aims to close cycling 'missing links' in new transportation plan
Cycling routes to grow by 50 per cent by 2046 under proposed plan

Laura Glowacki · CBC News
Posted: Apr 17, 2023 10:47 PM EDT | Last Updated: 3 hours ago

Ottawa's transportation committee approved the first part of the city's new transportation master plan on Monday, laying out a vision that aims to see fewer people relying on cars to get around the city over the coming decades.

"This is just going to set the path for the next 25 years — that we want safer cycling. We want safer walking," transportation committee chair Coun. Tim Tierney said.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...plan-1.6813592

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 8:25 PM

I saw this guy in the morning when I dropped the kid off at school. Then several hours later going the other way when I went to pick up the kid.

When he got to the red he had to dismount. Then to get going again he had to push off four times then hop back on there, which looked like a great inconvenience. Can't just be coordinated but you gotta be athletic and flexible too just to get on and off this thing.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2023, 5:54 PM

Bought three bikes in the past three weeks to keep up north. $55, $35 and $25. Between 24 and 26 inch tires. Going to leave them there permanently so had to be used and cheap. And now I want two more for home, though a neighbour put his supercyle out at the curb last year with two busted inner tubes, and it's been sitting in my shed the whole time. But I'm too lazy or don't have time to learn how fix it up and hope that it's only the tires that are broken so I'm thinking of spending no more than $75 for a bike at home. And I tried to fix that Nakamura, which is my bike from 1996, and I fucked up the gears so it's stuck in gear.

Five of these kids bikes were free while the other two I paid $10. Three sitting at curbs and two someone posted as free on FB and after three days nobobdy wanted them but I grabbed them when I saw the ad. There are lot of free or no more than $10 kids bikes out there. Most run fine. And lots of $20 to $30 adult bikes that have issues that are basic fixes to anyone who knows bikes well. A real opportunity to make a few bucks reselling or gifting to friends and family.

I've been really utilizing this bike trailer I bought used three years ago for $75. Good for kids but also convenient for hauling some stuff. They're pretty cool.

Also saw this ancient bike at a beach house for giveaway today. Could make a for a cool restoration project for someone that knows what they're doing.

I must say though, it really is a pain to deal with classifieds. Most people post 1-3 pics and say bike for sale. No thought of putting the tire or frame size (a quick search for themselves would make them realize it's useful info), or taking extra pics like of the tread on the tire, the seat to show if it's quick release or not, the shifters, etc. Often they put kids bike and given that the pic is just a bike on the driveway, you have no other perspective or frame of reference. So is it for an 8 year old or a 14 year old? It's shit like that that makes you say out loud "Why are you so f'n stupid? Why is the title just Kids Bike and there's only one pic? How the eff do you even get by in life?". But then you realize that lots of your friends and family would do the same thing so you have to temper your expectations and realize you can't go around calling everyone stupid. Hell, some of these people are smarter than you and me, but make stupid classified ads.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 6:38 PM

First time back to the UCI track racing event in Milton since the inaugural year. I found myself watching the goings-on in the infield more than the racing itself.

Some observations:

- So many countries represented, including several of which don't have indoor velodromes. And if they do, it might be some shabby one with half the banking. Or their riders practice on a much flatter outdoor one. Of course, I'm sure many riders made the move to countries that have proper ones and practice there. Or they were born and raised in a place with one but represent the country their parents came from.

- Of course, the one guy there with a cowboy hat was staff from the US team. I would actually like to see someone ride a racing bike with a cowboy hat.

- When they are riding their bike stationary on those rollers, some of them don't hold onto something, they can just balance. Some even can sit up, ride and balance on those. Impressive.

- Quite a few riders from unexecpted countries who did well. Two from Trinidad and Tobago and they scored top 10 or so in the 40 man qualifying heat I saw. The second fastest was from Suriname. Of course, those guys could be from the US or Canada or Netherlands for the latter.

- Saw a friendly conversation between riders and a coach from South Africa, Laos, Algeria and Suriname. Cool to see. Obviously, were probably speaking English. The Laoatian girl was probably half Laotian and raised somewhere English speaking. Coach looked like he could be English. And the Suriname girl could be Dutch and I believe most Dutch speak English.

- Looking up close at these racing bikes, I can't imagine sitting on one of those seats for more than 5 minutes.

- I would have liked to see those motor bikes used on the track. Better yet, I would like to ride one myself up to the top to the bank, though I'd probably be too scared to go up there. I tried riding this track in one of their novice sessions and I made it like 1/3 up on the steep ends.

- VELOLAW. That's pretty niche. I get the lawyer is a cycling saftely advocate but I wonder how much of his business is actually personal injury from cycling and if people injured from something else dismiss his firm.

- Curious to know why the two coaches standing behind their riders timing them have to stand in that sexual looking position. Was funny to see.

- I remember those Canada cycling uniforms with light blue from back in the day. But most Canada riders had red. I wonder why the difference. I saw that the Dutch also had differing uniforms.

- So many athletes, staff, journalists and administrators there. And fans from afar too. I wonder where they all stay. I already knew that Milton lacks hotels. Just went to google maps and it shows only three. Oakville and Burlington don't have many either. I guess a lot of them stay close to YYZ, Mississauga and Hamilton. Maybe KW. Regardless, it's going to be a trek for all three days of the competition and more for some people. I'm 20 minutes away. Maybe I should have advertised as an Air BNB to them. Much cheaper than a hotel.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 2:49 PM
Explorateur urbain

Montreal unveiled its 2024 plan for the expansion of its bike paths network. It includes 17km of new bike paths and 17km of improvements to existing biking infrastructures.

A typical bike path design, with a raised interesction :

Rue de Verdun / 6th avenue intersection in Verdun

Current design of the intersection

Some of the major projects

Réseau express vélo (REV) (Express bike network):

- boulevard Henri-Bourassa Est, entre l’avenue Marcelin-Wilson et la rue Lajeunesse
- rues Saint-Antoine Ouest et Saint-Jacques, dans le Sud-Ouest
- rue Saint-Antoine Ouest, entre les rues Guy et du Square-Victoria, au centre-ville
- rue Jean-Talon Est, entre les rues Boyer et la 1re Avenue

Other major projects:

- boulevard Maurice-Duplessis, entre le boulevard Langelier et l’autoroute 25
- rue de Terrebonne, entre les avenues Girouard et Saint-Ignatius
- rue Meilleur, entre les rues Fleury Ouest et le boulevard Crémazie Ouest
- rue Legendre Ouest, entre la rue Meilleur et l’avenue de l’Esplanade
- rue de Verdun, entre Henri-Duhamel et le boulevard Lasalle

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 8:12 PM

[QUOTE=megadude;10185195]First time back to the UCI track racing event in Milton since the inaugural year. I found myself watching the goings-on in the infield more than the racing itself.

Some observations:

- So many countries represented, including several of which don't have indoor velodromes. And if they do, it might be some shabby one with half the banking. Or their riders practice on a much flatter outdoor one. Of course, I'm sure many riders made the move to countries that have proper ones and practice there. Or they were born and raised in a place with one but represent the country their parents came from.

- Of course, the one guy there with a cowboy hat was staff from the US team. I would actually like to see someone ride a racing bike with a cowboy hat.

- When they are riding their bike stationary on those rollers, some of them don't hold onto something, they can just balance. Some even can sit up, ride and balance on those. Impressive.

- Quite a few riders from unexecpted countries who did well. Two from Trinidad and Tobago and they scored top 10 or so in the 40 man qualifying heat I saw. The second fastest was from Suriname. Of course, those guys could be from the US or Canada or Netherlands for the latter.

- Saw a friendly conversation between riders and a coach from South Africa, Laos, Algeria and Suriname. Cool to see. Obviously, were probably speaking English. The Laoatian girl was probably half Laotian and raised somewhere English speaking. Coach looked like he could be English. And the Suriname girl could be Dutch and I believe most Dutch speak English.

- Looking up close at these racing bikes, I can't imagine sitting on one of those seats for more than 5 minutes.

- I would have liked to see those motor bikes used on the track. Better yet, I would like to ride one myself up to the top to the bank, though I'd probably be too scared to go up there. I tried riding this track in one of their novice sessions and I made it like 1/3 up on the steep ends.

- VELOLAW. That's pretty niche. I get the lawyer is a cycling saftely advocate but I wonder how much of his business is actually personal injury from cycling and if people injured from something else dismiss his firm.

- Curious to know why the two coaches standing behind their riders timing them have to stand in that sexual looking position. Was funny to see.

- I remember those Canada cycling uniforms with light blue from back in the day. But most Canada riders had red. I wonder why the difference. I saw that the Dutch also had differing uniforms.

- So many athletes, staff, journalists and administrators there. And fans from afar too. I wonder where they all stay. I already knew that Milton lacks hotels. Just went to google maps and it shows only three. Oakville and Burlington don't have many either. I guess a lot of them stay close to YYZ, Mississauga and Hamilton. Maybe KW. Regardless, it's going to be a trek for all three days of the competition and more for some people. I'm 20 minutes away. Maybe I should have advertised as an Air BNB to them. Much cheaper than a hotel.

I believe this is Kelsey. One of our local riders.

Best friend was there earlier this year racing at the Masters.

Can't wait for ours to open next year.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada