HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
A quick Google Streetview tells me this neighborhood has changed a bit in the last 30yrs.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
A quick Google Streetview tells me this neighborhood has changed a bit in the last 30yrs.
My friend used to live near there - there are some nice places and the streets are nice but at least as of 3 years ago, there was still some stuff going on here and there. My friend witnessed some burglaries and whatever and ultimately didn't like it enough that he moved out after a year.

Hopefully it's gotten a little less shady since then - the blocks are actually decently nice around there.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
My friend used to live near there - there are some nice places and the streets are nice but at least as of 3 years ago, there was still some stuff going on here and there. My friend witnessed some burglaries and whatever and ultimately didn't like it enough that he moved out after a year.

Hopefully it's gotten a little less shady since then - the blocks are actually decently nice around there.
Back in the days you could get mugged watching a burglary. The buildings are gorgeous, and solid.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 1:16 AM

1330 W Fulton Market

From a moving train
July 14

Aug 4

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Back in the days you could get mugged watching a burglary. The buildings are gorgeous, and solid.
My friend had two hand guns in his home too and grew up in a country known for high crime rates (though he grew up wealthy). I guess he was way far removed from that because he felt the need to move out of the area. But you're right - the places around there are nice. He had a nice place and a great deal (I think under $1800/mo for a renovated 2 bedroom condo). Loved walking around his neighborhood.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 3:28 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago View Post
They're moderately amusing when they just stand there and twirl their arms around and blow whistles. The second they take control of the lights all mayhem breaks loose. Honestly, traffic would be better without them.
I feel like when I first moved to Chicago in 1995 the City dispatched traffic aides or cops or whatever they're called every rush hour to key intersections in/near the Loop, and that they actually kept traffic moving if for no other reason than they simply did not allow "gridlock" behavior, aka "blocking the box." I was working in the Sears Tower then, so I was pretty familiar with the N/S Wacker intersections.

Maybe I was still just a wide-eyed country bumpkin then, but it certainly felt like they had a positive impact. It seems like they must have paid for themselves with the tickets they scribbled out to cars that stranded themselves mid-intersection. But, yeah, they didn't normally override the light change boxes. Not sure how that would help since I thought the City has centralized light controls.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
These days residents follow trendy dining options. And there are a crap ton of units proposed in Uptown and a decent amount under construction. Retail is still trickling in at a very slow pace, though. It's still seen as unproven and risky for businesses. Most new places seem to open up in close proximity to Uptown's stronger neighbors like Andersonville or Ravenswoods. I think the new Wilson station will help and that men's hotel next to it is closing. I'm all for affordable housing, but that hotel sounds like hell - cubicles and chicken wire.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killaviews View Post
These days residents follow trendy dining options. And there are a crap ton of units proposed in Uptown and a decent amount under construction. Retail is still trickling in at a very slow pace, though. It's still seen as unproven and risky for businesses. Most new places seem to open up in close proximity to Uptown's stronger neighbors like Andersonville or Ravenswoods. I think the new Wilson station will help and that men's hotel next to it is closing. I'm all for affordable housing, but that hotel sounds like hell - cubicles and chicken wire.
Please don't confuse Mental Health facilities (without the health) andaffordable housing.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I feel like when I first moved to Chicago in 1995 the City dispatched traffic aides or cops or whatever they're called every rush hour to key intersections in/near the Loop, and that they actually kept traffic moving if for no other reason than they simply did not allow "gridlock" behavior, aka "blocking the box." I was working in the Sears Tower then, so I was pretty familiar with the N/S Wacker intersections.

Maybe I was still just a wide-eyed country bumpkin then, but it certainly felt like they had a positive impact. It seems like they must have paid for themselves with the tickets they scribbled out to cars that stranded themselves mid-intersection. But, yeah, they didn't normally override the light change boxes. Not sure how that would help since I thought the City has centralized light controls.
The only way to reduce traffic congestion is to take away drivers' options. Not only should there be essentially no two way streets (and there aren't many), but you shouldn't have 3 or 4 general use lanes. You should have a turn lane that is divided from lanes for traffic going straight as least half a block in advance by a concrete island. That way no one is trying to change lanes at the last minute near an intersection.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 1:45 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
You should have a turn lane that is divided from lanes for traffic going straight as least half a block in advance by a concrete island. That way no one is trying to change lanes at the last minute near an intersection.
Sounds good in principle, but that divider would need to extend into the intersection, because otherwise taxis would do what they always do, turn the second from the curb lane into a second right turn lane. That happens all the time on Wacker turning right onto Madison. When i cab it to work, I'd say about 1/3 to 1/2 of the time my driver will do that - and I'm just hypocritical enough to be glad when they do.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
...because otherwise taxis would do what they always do, turn the second from the curb lane into a second right turn lane. That happens all the time on Wacker turning right onto Madison...
And CTA buses. They do this every time I'm waiting to turn from Northbound Columbus onto Balbo, just sit in the through lane and then turn in front of the traffic that's been waiting in the left turn lane. Problem is, cars have learned this trick and are now following the CTA example.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 2:46 PM

1111 W Washington (under the address 1109 W Washington) was issued a new construction permit yesterday for its foundation. 9 stories, 28 units, and 83 parking space (wtf? I know these are luxury units but I was under the impression of 2 cars per unit, not almost 3).

In case anyone's wondering, here is one of the units for sale there - again under the address 1109 W Washington. This one is 4 bed, 4.5 bath with 5110 sq ft for just under $4M:
https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/11...home/113975336

Source: Curbed/Booth Hansen

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 2:57 PM
The City

I really hate this trend of ground floor parking in the West Loop.

I would almost rather have a parking podium with ground level retail than this. There is nothing more street deadening than screen walls on the first floor.

At least it adds more wealthy households to the area, but still....

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

I would almost rather have a parking podium with ground level retail than this. There is nothing more street deadening than screen walls on the first floor.

Trying to bring back the old feel - the abandoned streets - the desolation at night. Keep the neighborhood friendly for both the wealthy, and the wealthless.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 3:49 PM

Roosevelt Square is picking back up. Planning just approved a really interesting apartment building / library combo for Taylor St.

Really interesting concept. Nice to see city services integrated right into a building as an amenity.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIII View Post
Really interesting concept. Nice to see city services integrated right into a building as an amenity.
Yep, and it's great that the city is embracing the architecture community. SOM did great work here and in Chinatown, but if the concept is successful I'd also love to see the city give these projects to some of the smaller firms featured in the Architecture Biennial.

There was a piece during the last biennial about how Chicago has something like 20 more young Studio Gangs just looking for their first big opportunity.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

Yeah, not into how the recent small condo projects are doing this. Maybe someday the condo board will decide to convert some of the ground floor into a restaurant space when it turns out they have space for 40 cars too many...

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
Yeah, not into how the recent small condo projects are doing this. Maybe someday the condo board will decide to convert some of the ground floor into a restaurant space when it turns out they have space for 40 cars too many...
I don't know if the permit was off as it indicates about 3 spaces per unit, but as expensive/luxury as this place is supposed to be, I'm doubting there will be 40 empty spaces even if they're allocating over 80 spaces. Probably more like 20 open spaces max.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post

They'd have to get the zoning designation for the property changed since the property was converted from a DX-3/DX-5 designation to a Residential Planned Development back in January with the only permitted uses being residential above the ground floor and accessory off-street parking. In fact, the limitations on use virtually guarantee that there'd be parking on the ground floor since that's the only permitted use at that level.

https://gisapps.cityofchicago.org/gi...pds/PD1357.pdf

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
1111 W Washington (under the address 1109 W Washington) was issued a new construction permit yesterday for its foundation. 9 stories, 28 units, and 83 parking space (wtf? I know these are luxury units but I was under the impression of 2 cars per unit, not almost 3).
There are two buildings in the PD. One on Washington and one on May.
This is probably just the permit for one of them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development