HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TllrSkyline-01 View Post
It's time to get moving fast on that international terminal they have been 'thinking' about...it will take years to plan and build!
I just came through Customs last night, Its fine but it is OOOOOOLD and it feels way off the beaten track. A dedicated international concourse/Terminal with updated customs would be nice.

With all of our direct flights to Latin America, Canada and increasingly Europe (and hopefully a Taiwan one of these days) I think there is enough traffic for a small international terminal with room to grow.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 7:15 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I just came through Customs last night, Its fine but it is OOOOOOLD and it feels way off the beaten track. A dedicated international concourse/Terminal with updated customs would be nice.

With all of our direct flights to Latin America, Canada and increasingly Europe (and hopefully a Taiwan one of these days) I think there is enough traffic for a small international terminal with room to grow.
When the international arrivals area in Terminal 4 first opened, passengers had to recheck their bags after going through customs because the exit from that area put them behind the security checkpoint. It took the construction of a long walkway to fix that, and that's why international arrivals seems so remote and wonky at Sky Harbor. I agree that a facilty designed from the start for international arrivlals would be an improvement.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
When the international arrivals area in Terminal 4 first opened, passengers had to recheck their bags after going through customs because the exit from that area put them behind the security checkpoint. It took the construction of a long walkway to fix that, and that's why international arrivals seems so remote and wonky at Sky Harbor. I agree that a facilty designed from the start for international arrivlals would be an improvement.
That's it! I remember old days. They used to be. There are 4 or 6 elevators and escalators at N4. After they cleared customs and they went up back to the concourse and then exit from security checkpoint. That was so long time ago! So now, the future is here. They changed!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 8:23 PM

Check out this article from AZCentral:

These Arizona airports are getting $37M for terminal upgrades. Here's what's coming

https://www.azcentral.com/story/trav...s/72618999007/

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 2:17 AM

Phoenix Sky Harbor airport could offer $5 million for new nonstop international flight
By Christina Estes
Published: Wednesday, February 28, 2024 - 7:05am

Quote:
In an effort to attract more international flights, Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport will ask city leaders to continue its financial incentive program.

The airport wants to offer up to $5 million to support new nonstop flights to unserved destinations like Tokyo, Seoul and Shanghai, and Rome, Barcelona and Amsterdam.

Sky Harbor’s Lexi Van Haren told council members the FAA does not allow airlines to receive payments directly.

“We can offer fee waivers as well as marketing reimbursement dollars, and we can advise our economic and tourism partners,” she said.

More...
https://kjzz.org/content/1872489/pho...ational-flight

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 7:36 PM

'Phoenix is the future': Kate Gallego announces new airport terminal for Sky Harbor

Whoah...new Sky Harbor terminal announced by Mayor Gallego. Trying to get more info...

Edit:

Sounds like an International Terminal??

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...y/73331976007/

Quote:
Mayor Kate Gallego celebrated Phoenix as the city of the future at her annual State of the City address Tuesday, touting the expansion of advanced manufacturing and medical companies, and ensuring her commitment to smart water use and home affordability.

Speaking before hundreds of influential lawmakers, business owners, and organization leaders at the Sheraton Phoenix Downtown, the mayor lauded a series of changes coming to Phoenix, such as a new airport terminal and new Amazon drone delivery services. The new "cutting-edge" terminal will feature "zero greenhouse gas emissions" and a new Customs facility to usher in tourists from around the world, Gallego said.

The mayor is also establishing an Olympics committee to help attract the Olympics to Los Angeles in 2028 and a new team to make Phoenix the most accessible city in the world for people with disabilities, she said.

Gallego emphasized Phoenix's role in the global economy, highlighting an increase in international flights out of Sky Harbor International Airport, the increased investment from Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company, the relocation or expansion of 25 additional semiconductor companies in Phoenix and a new trade office the Dutch government is building.

"It didn’t happen by accident," Gallego said, "I chased this opportunity relentlessly when I first traveled to Taiwan in 2019 to pitch Phoenix as the best place for TSMC."

She added, "As of today, the Phoenix airport system’s economic impact is $44 billion — an increase of nearly 15 percent compared to 2016."

Gallego also lauded the expansion of United Foods International, a company she met with in Asia and lured to Phoenix, and the new Global Operations Center for the autonomous car company Cruise — from which autonomic vehicles in "Tempe, Tokyo or Dubai" will be navigated.

Last edited by ASU Diablo; Apr 23, 2024 at 7:53 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Whoah...new Sky Harbor terminal announced by Mayor Gallego. Trying to get more info...

Hmm... Based on the 30-year plan released in 2017 they wanted a new terminal by the early 2030's my guess is it will take nearly 10 years to plan and build a new terminal, so it makes sense that they'd be working on the new terminal soon.

However, I expected that to wait until the west entrance was redone and the expansion north of the Union Pacific line before they announced any real plans.

Maybe with the increasing flights to Canada, Mexico, Europe and soon Asia they have decided to move on an international terminal.

EDIT

Quote:
Speaking before hundreds of influential lawmakers, business owners, and organization leaders at the Sheraton Phoenix Downtown, the mayor lauded a series of changes coming to Phoenix, such as a new airport terminal and new Amazon drone delivery services. The new "cutting-edge" terminal will feature "zero greenhouse gas emissions" and a new Customs facility to usher in tourists from around the world, Gallego said.

The mayor is also establishing an Olympics committee to help attract the Olympics to Los Angeles in 2028 and a new team to make Phoenix the most accessible city in the world for people with disabilities, she said.

Gallego emphasized Phoenix's role in the global economy, highlighting an increase in international flights out of Sky Harbor International Airport, the increased investment from Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company, the relocation or expansion of 25 additional semiconductor companies in Phoenix and a new trade office the Dutch government is building.

"It didn’t happen by accident," Gallego said, "I chased this opportunity relentlessly when I first traveled to Taiwan in 2019 to pitch Phoenix as the best place for TSMC."

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Hmm... Based on the 30-year plan released in 2017 they wanted a new terminal by the early 2030's my guess is it will take nearly 10 years to plan and build a new terminal, so it makes sense that they'd be working on the new terminal soon.

However, I expected that to wait until the west entrance was redone and the expansion north of the Union Pacific line before they announced any real plans.

Maybe with the increasing flights to Canada, Mexico, Europe and soon Asia they have decided to move on an international terminal.

EDIT

Isn't Gallego a little full of herself. I thought getting TSMC was a collaborative effort.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
Isn't Gallego a little full of herself. I thought getting TSMC was a collaborative effort.
The TSMC plan began waaaaayyy back in like 2017/2018. when Mrs Gallego was just a fake Hispanic not the Govenor

Whatever politicians are politicians and if they want to plaster their name on it that's fine as long as they do things I like.

Before anyone gets mad about that her name was Katharine Widland. She married Ruben Gallego and divorced him and kept his name specifically because she's an AZ politician and wants those votes. A truly ruthless cynical move that I cant help but somewhat admire.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 8:57 PM

Quote:
The TSMC plan began waaaaayyy back in like 2017/2018. when Mrs Gallego was just a fake Hispanic not the Govenor

Whatever politicians are politicians and if they want to plaster their name on it that's fine as long as they do things I like.

Before anyone gets mad about that her name was Katharine Widland. She married Ruben Gallego and divorced him and kept his name specifically because she's an AZ politician and wants those votes. A truly ruthless cynical move that I cant help but somewhat admire.
Well to be fair, and I'm guessing you misspoke, but she's been Mayor since 2019 and been on the City Council since 2014. If anything, I remember Doug Douchey really spearheading this back then. But TSMC did land within city limits so I guess she's able to claim it haha

Anyways, back to the terminal, exciting news. Glad this got accelerated and the country's 5th largest city will finally have an International Terminal.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 9:06 PM

Quote:

Anyways, back to the terminal, exciting news. Glad this got accelerated and the country's 5th largest city will finally have an International Terminal.
I would like for it to be a dedicated international are we sure it is going to be? that would make sense.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 9:10 PM

Quote:
I would like for it to be a dedicated international are we sure it is going to be? that would make sense.
That would be awesome. BTW, what ever happened to the airport hotel that was proposed?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 9:13 PM

Quote:
That would be awesome. BTW, what ever happened to the airport hotel that was proposed?
Its seems that all of the airport plans come to fruition even if not as fast or in the order the airport plans so Im sure it will happen eventually.

It would make sense as part of an international terminal construction project could include a hotel with connection to terminal three and the sky train system.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Not sure if it’s fully dedicated to International flights only but getting the sense it may be? Based on what I’m reading.

The hotel was supposed to be part of T4 so curious to see what ends up happening with those future plans as well

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Not sure if it’s fully dedicated to International flights only but getting the sense it may be? Based on what I’m reading.

The hotel was supposed to be part of T4 so curious to see what ends up happening with those future plans as well
I wonder how that pencils out with the longterm plans for another terminal that was to replace the old T2 that was released a few years back. I can't imagine an entire new terminal solely for international flights, unless she was confusing a new concourse with a new terminal.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 10:12 PM

I think we can make fun of politicians for taking credit for things happening in the economy without the name-calling and cheap shots. This board should be above that.

All that said, it's bad for democracy for politicians to pretend they have control over locations and the economy. As though we have to re-elect them because they pull all the right levers. The reality is they have very little influence over individual business locations because owner after after explains that it's a complicated mix of inputs that make those decisions. Arizona has a lot going for it and that's a confluence of decisions from a lot of people, not one Governor or mayor. I think it would be magnanimous of them to acknowledge how complicated it is and give people other than themselves credit.

I found this latest TSMC parade to be particularly gross. TSMC said 2 years ago they were doing the $60B build out. So they re-confirmed it and then Congress took credit with the CHIPS Act and Gallego/Hobbs did another lap around the bases for something that was decided 2 years ago?! All the gaslighting is gross.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 11:20 PM

Quote:
I wonder how that pencils out with the longterm plans for another terminal that was to replace the old T2 that was released a few years back. I can't imagine an entire new terminal solely for international flights, unless she was confusing a new concourse with a new terminal.
I seriously doubt she confused a new concourse with a terminal since she was specifically calling out a new Customs facility. I doubt that would be part of a new concourse.

"The new "cutting-edge" terminal will feature "zero greenhouse gas emissions" and a new Customs facility to usher in tourists from around the world, Gallego said."

To me, it just seems TSMC accelerated the City's future terminal plans and Sky Harbor is probably anticipating more international demand as a result. I would expect direct Asian flights to be announced over the next couple of months? Wishful thinking on my end. I could be wrong though...

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 11:50 PM

Here is the 20-year Comprehensive Asset Management Plan that was done in 2019: https://www.skyharbor.com/media/k4eh...2019-09-13.pdf

Here is the updates from 2022:
https://www.skyharbor.com/media/w45n...mary-final.pdf

KPNX just posted this article regarding a new terminal:
https://www.12news.com/article/trave...4-48be87ce0539

Author: Kevin Reagan
Published: 2:56 PM PDT April 23, 2024
Updated: 4:12 PM PDT April 23, 2024

Quote:
Mayor Kate Gallego said during her State of the City address that the city council will start working next month on plans to create a "cutting-edge" terminal for the busy airport...

City officials said more information about the new terminal will be discussed during a city council meeting on May 7. The airport is expected to receive millions of dollars in federal funding to make infrastructure upgrades.
I wonder if the city is just more focused on an international terminal or if their plans will more closely align with the 2019 CAMP.

Side note, "cutting-edge" terminal. Takes me back to:

Video Link

Last edited by azliam; Apr 24, 2024 at 12:02 AM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 3:15 AM

We keep getting flights from Canada and Mexico as well as increasingly for Europe and soon Asia I’m certain

Plus even if they were moving fast this terminal won’t open for at least 5 years with one concourse to start I’m sure it’s enough to justify it

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 3:32 PM

Mayor Kate Gallego announces a new Dutch trade office in Phoenix

https://www.azcentral.com/videos/new...e/73431000007/

I wonder if we can hope for a direct flight to Amsterdam down the road.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest