Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 8:53 AM

Great update, thanks!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 5:09 PM

Mahindra looks at Michigan site for possible auto plant

https://nbc25news.com/news/local/mah...ble-auto-plant

Quote:
Mahindra looks at Michigan site for possible auto plant
by Associated Press/Madeline Ciak

FLINT, Mich. (AP) — Indian conglomerate Mahindra is looking at a massive former manufacturing site in Flint, Michigan, for a new auto plant that could create up to 2,000 jobs.

A statement Thursday says Mahindra Automotive North America signed a letter of intent with the Revitalizing Auto Communities Environmental Response Trust to evaluate the former Buick City site, where General Motors once built cars. Mahindra says it's also in talks with other states about possible sites.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 9:49 PM

One project that I didn't keep up with as closely as I should have was the Chevy Commons park. I believe most of it is complete now, and I posted a photo thread of my walk through the site: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=239964

Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 12:41 AM

Magna opens $50 million factory near Flint geared toward cameras

Quote:
On Wednesday, Magna's electronics division opened a $50 million factory in Grand Blanc Township, near Flint, that provides 230,000 square feet for manufacturing cameras and vision systems. Kotagiri said the company now makes about 12 million cameras a year for a dozen customers.

More than 600 employees will work at the plant, which consolidates work that had been done at three nearby locations and leaves room for growth. The factory is expected to be fully operational by fall 2020. Components will ship to more than 300 global locations.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 2:25 AM

Mott CC bought Woodside Church a few years ago and has been using it for their early childhood center. They are currently doing quite a large expansion.

A new gas station is being built on Court St., across the street from the Michigan School for the Deaf and Powers Catholic HS. This area has somewhat solidified recently, with Kettering U. buying and tearing down abandoned properties, Chevy Commons development, the construction of MSD and Powers, and some nearby commercial buildings getting new tenants. Lots of work left to do, however.

The steel for the Murchie Science Building expansion at UM-Flint is going up fast! It's not really that big

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 11:57 PM

The old Flint Community Schools Consolidated Food Services building is being torn down. This is on the Cultural Center campus, "behind" Whiting Auditorium, and directly next to the Buick Gallery. Most people probably won't even know it's gone.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 12:03 AM

Flint Public Library proposes $12.6 million bond for renovations

https://www.mlive.com/news/flint/201...novations.html

Quote:
Flint Public Library proposes $12.6 million bond for renovations

Posted Aug 21, 2019

By Zahra Ahmad | zahmad@mlive.com

FLINT, MI--The Flint Public Library is proposing a 12-year, $12.6 million bond and a renewal of a 2-mill operating millage on the November 5 ballot, according to the library’s website.

The proposals are part of the library’s “Ready To Write A New Chapter” campaign and would maintain the library’s current programs as well as help pay for a complete renovation of its building.

Photo from the mlive article linked above, and provided by the Flint Public Library

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 1:48 AM

Updates from 9/9/19 and 9/10/19

1214 University Ave.

Last edited by robk1982; Sep 11, 2019 at 1:58 AM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 11:26 PM

The ribbon cutting ceremony for Coolidge Park Apartments was today. This involved the redevelopment of the closed Coolidge Elementary School, and the construction of a new apartment building on the city's west side, right off of Ballenger Highway and just south of McLaren Hospital. Unfortunately, I had to leave before the inside tours began so I only got outside shots.

Even with an anchor such as McLaren and all of the retail and offices along Ballenger Highway and Court St., this neighborhood has it's fair share of issues. A prime example is directly across Westcombe Ave from Coolidge:

There was another, larger abandoned apartment complex (Ballenger Court Apartments) on the other corner. It was torn down in 2018. Hopefully the redevelopment of Coolidge will help to solidify things.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 2:25 AM
somewhere in-between

Thanks for sharing. And I did just find this (very brief) walkthrough on MLive of the Coolidge Park Apartments - I understand keeping the murals, but I don't understand leaving the lockers, except to save money.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 4:07 PM
somewhere in-between

2 related articles on the new hotel -

Quote:
Downtown Flint hotel to feature Italian restaurant, rooftop bar
Marjory Raymer
Wednesday, September 25, 2019

FLINT, Michigan—Downtown Flint soon will be home to an Italian restaurant and a rooftop bar. Both will be located within the Hilton Garden Inn, which is now under construction and stretches along the entire block of Kearsley Street between Beech and South Saginaw streets. The long vacant former bank building will also feature a coffee shop — along with 101 guest rooms, restored art deco plasterwork, and meeting space...
Quote:
New hotel in downtown Flint symbolizes city's comeback
Marjory Raymer
Wednesday, September 25, 2019

FLINT, Michigan — A peek inside the new Flint Hilton Garden Inn shows a modern design with Art Deco flair and historic preservation around every corner, but it requires a look at Flint’s past to really understand how and why this project is such a big deal. The need for hotel accommodations in downtown Flint has been talked about for years, decades really. The former Hyatt Hotel — which later converted to the Radisson, then a Ramada Inn, and is now a residence hall for University of Michigan-Flint students — closed in 2000. It quasi-operated as a hotel and religious institute for several years after, but was primarily closed to visitors...

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 4:23 PM

From 10/15.

Something is happening next to Blackstones.

Hilton Garden Inn. All the exterior scaffolding is gone.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 12:18 PM

Carriage Town housing proposal draws protest; Fifth Ward residents speak out

A bit old, but newsworthy.

https://www.eastvillagemagazine.org/...nts-speak-out/

Quote:
Carriage Town housing proposal draws protest; Fifth Ward residents speak out

Posted on Sep 11, 2019

By Tom Travis

At its regular meeting Monday, Sept. 9, the Flint City Council declined to consider a resolution regarding a controversial affordable housing development in Carriage Town, after Councilperson Jerri Winfrey-Carter, whose ward includes the contested parcel, declared, “I’m going to fight this nail and tooth…because my constituents do not want this.”

In other business, the council debated proposed sales of properties owned by the Genesee County Land Bank, discussed a letter from Mayor Karen Weaver, and considered a north end property with a $36,000 water bill.

Contested Carriage Town proposal draws objections
Glenn Wilson, president and CEO of Communities First, Inc. (www.communitiesfirstinc.org) appeared before council to describe his plans. Wilson has developed several properties in Flint in recent years including Oak School at Grand Traverse and Court, Swayze Apartments on Court Street downtown and most recently, Coolidge Park Apartments near McLaren Hospital on Ballenger Highway.

Wilson said he hopes to develop a piece of land currently owned by Troy Farah at Grand Traverse And University avenues into an affordable housing project of four buildings of three stories each containing a total of 48 units. The plot, on a piece of property in the Carriage Town Historic Neighborhood (http://cthna.org), is cherished by many neighbors and is affectionately referred to as University Square.

Councilperson Jerri Winfrey-Carter from the Fifth Ward, which includes Carriage Town, responded to Wilson that the constituents in her ward, “do not want this. That space is a park. I’m gonna fight this nail and tooth. This is the first reading but I’m going to fight hard because my constituents do not want this.”

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 12:22 PM

And another item about Communities First. They are breaking ground on another apartment building off of Ballenger Hwy, just north of Flushing Road.

Here is the Facebook event for it: https://www.facebook.com/events/752786585184024/

edit: This is the site as it stood today (10/27/19)

Last edited by robk1982; Oct 28, 2019 at 2:21 AM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 2:25 AM

I haven't posted an update of the Third Street Development lately:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hBjsbR]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hBjrRn]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hBjsfU]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hBkjXb]

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 5:20 PM

I reached out to Blackstone's on Facebook about what was happening next door, and they said the Mott Foundation was adding a marble facade so it would match the rest of the Mott Foundation Building.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 4:22 PM

The millage for the Flint Public Library renovation passed yesterday.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 4:17 AM

Good news! How's the Hilton Garden Inn renovation going? Anything new happening downtown?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 3:35 AM

Nothing really new downtown. The Hilton Garden Inn looks about the same on the outside as the last photo I posted, so I assume a lot of interior work is being done.

The UM-Flint Murchie Science Building expansion is coming along nicely. The steel is all in place and the Manitowoc crane is gone.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 8:56 PM

Was the Murchie expansion scaled back? I thought it was going to be a floor taller. Looks like 3 floors in those photos?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest