HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd618 View Post
Do you mean Guelph - Hamilton? Kitchener - Hamilton appears to still exist.
This service was reduced to only one trip per week back in late August and as of mid October the service is cancelled.
Coach Canada put notices up at U of Guelph asking passengers to complain to the Ministry of Transport.
They are blaming GO Transit for this service cancelation
God knows why.
GO does not operate this route and Coach Canada only operated it on the basis of when it suited them.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 9:11 PM
Cambridgite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontario1 View Post
There are no flights to Detroit from Kitchener.
When was it cancelled? I remember my parents even used to go to Tampa via Detroit with that service.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambridgite View Post
When was it cancelled? I remember my parents even used to go to Tampa via Detroit with that service.
They announced it back in June I think, service ceased in July or August? It's in the airport thread on these forums.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambridgite View Post
If the service takes as long or longer than driving, how many people will ride the train? ... Keep in mind, this even assumes the travel times are competitive, which is the #1 issue with extending the lines to Kitchener and Cambridge.
I don't mean to single you out, but I call bullshit on this kind of argument in general. While I agree that travel time is important, I'm not convinced of parity as a magical cut off point. The travel time is very important, but it isn't the only factor when you're commuting. An hour actively driving in 401 traffic is a very different experience than the same amount of time in a GO train. Parity of cost/benefit ratios for many might well make a 1.5 hour train ride the equal of an hour drive.

Cars are not free, either. Some commuters might be able to give up one car (in a two-person household) if they can go by train when needed; they might even be able to switch over to car-sharing and transit locally if they don't need their car for the commute. Not that commuting by train has to be all-or-nothing. For some it could be a backup -- for when their car might be in the shop, or when they just can't take any more 401 traffic that week and need some more sleep. Of course, occasional use is a great back door to getting more people exposed to the mode as a viable means of transportation.

There's also another kind of commuting use, which is to allow people who have no interest in commuting by car to take a job in, say, Waterloo that might involve going once a week to another office in, perhaps, Toronto.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 1:27 AM
Cambridgite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd618 View Post
I don't mean to single you out, but I call bullshit on this kind of argument in general. While I agree that travel time is important, I'm not convinced of parity as a magical cut off point.
Well, I never said it had to be exactly parity per se, but it should be competitive. People will wait a little longer if it means not having to drive, but not too much longer.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 1:55 AM

Keep in mind that not all commuters are going to Toronto. If i can remember the display boards correctly, they showed a sizable turnover of people in Guelph coming from Kitchener in the AM and vice-versa in the PM.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 1:58 AM
Cambridgite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkalunk View Post
Keep in mind that not all commuters are going to Toronto. If i can remember the display boards correctly, they showed a sizable turnover of people in Guelph coming from Kitchener in the AM and vice-versa in the PM.
Yes, that's true of the Kitchener-Georgetown line but it doesn't apply to the Cambridge-Milton line, which does not pass through Guelph (though a GO bus should fulfill that task).

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 3:55 AM

If the GO bus makes a stop at Hespeler and the 401 (which it absolutely should). You would already begin to see ridership grow from Cambridge and possibly justify GO train extension.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 4:27 PM

The drivers at GO get to see the runs either today or tomorrow.
I will keep you posted.
As for Hespeler Rd, i would agree, it really should make a stop there and possibly run up Jamieson and then back on at Townline.
Why?
A very high volume of eastbound commuters live in that area.
Most people who move from the GTA but stay working in the GTA tend to settle in that area keeping travel times down.
All will be revealed soon.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 10:25 PM
G.G.H. Transit

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzman View Post
The drivers at GO get to see the runs either today or tomorrow.
I will keep you posted.
As for Hespeler Rd, i would agree, it really should make a stop there and possibly run up Jamieson and then back on at Townline.
Why?
A very high volume of eastbound commuters live in that area.
Most people who move from the GTA but stay working in the GTA tend to settle in that area keeping travel times down.
All will be revealed soon.
I was driving the iXpress one day last month and did see a GO vehicle (white car with GO logos) sitting at the transit priority signal at Hespeler and the 401, so they were checking the area out for some reason.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 4:43 PM

I have a question, this may of already of been mentioned.
I was just down at Rona in Cambridge and i noticed a lot of construction next to the current GRT IXpress stop and Chucky cheese, it looks like a parking lot due to the stakes in the ground, they look more like road markers rather than building.
Is this part of the up coming GO project?
Or is it nothing related.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 6:19 PM
Cambridgite

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzman View Post
I have a question, this may of already of been mentioned.
I was just down at Rona in Cambridge and i noticed a lot of construction next to the current GRT IXpress stop and Chucky cheese, it looks like a parking lot due to the stakes in the ground, they look more like road markers rather than building.
Is this part of the up coming GO project?
Or is it nothing related.
I thought it was Best Buy (should be discussed in suburban small news) but I could be mistaken.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 3:30 AM

I don't have a full schedule to offer you but i can tell you that there are two different trips leaving from University of waterloo.
First goes to Milton to meet the train and the other goes to SQ1.

Here is an example
University of Waterloo 5.40
W.Laurier Uni 5.43
Kitchener Bus Terminal 5.53
Cambridge smart centre 6.08
Aberfoyle GO 6.25
Milton hwy 25 6.42
Square One 7.10

University of Waterloo 5.55
W.Laurier Uni 5.58
Kitchener Bus Terminal 6.08
Cambridge smart centre 6.23
Aberfoyle GO 6.40
Milton hwy 25 7.00
Milton GO 7.10 Meet train

Aberfoyle looks like the station to connect with the Guelph bus or bus to N.Mississauga.
Square one is the main hub, from there you can connect to Union, Hamilton, Bramalea, York U etc....

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 8:02 PM

PRESS RELEASE

McGuinty Government Supporting More Green Transportation Options

Starting on October 31, residents and commuters will be able to catch the GO Bus between Kitchener-Waterloo and Mississauga with stops in Cambridge, Milton and Aberfoyle.

Buses will run on weekdays to and from Mississauga's Square One Mall with 11 eastbound trips and 12 westbound trips. Stops in Southwestern Ontario will include Wilfrid Laurier University, the University of Waterloo and downtown Kitchener.

In addition, two trips in each direction will stop at the Milton GO Station to connect with peak-period GO Train service to and from Union Station. There will also be limited weekend service.

In February, the governments of Canada and Ontario committed $2.5 million in funding to build four park and ride lots along the new bus service route. The first of these lots will be located at the Regional Road 25 and Highway 401 interchange in Milton and will be open on the first day of GO Bus service to Kitchener-Waterloo and Cambridge. GO Transit is currently determining the location of the remaining three locations along the Highway 401 and Highway 8 corridor in the Cambridge/Kitchener-Waterloo area. Funding for these facilities is part of the GO Transit Improvement Program.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 3:39 PM

It seems that they don't have the KW GO schedules or costs posted yet on the website...the rollout has been a little disorganized so far...

I'm a big supporter of GO coming to Waterloo Region but wonder how many commuters will make the shift from VIA & Greyhound to a GO bus. Greyound is cheaper and just as frequent, and both will be faster getting you to the downtown than a GO bus?

Yes, the Go bus might provide faster service to certain other parts of the GTA and will be great for getting to & from the airport on weekdays (no more $75 one way trips on Airways Transit from KW), but I worry that ridership numbers might not be as high as expected. I wouldn't want this to harm the chances of GO rail coming to the region, as this service would certainly be better than our existing options.

garth

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 4:15 PM

There's a hell of a lot of students who live in Mississauga, and there are many commuters in both directions between that area and Waterloo Region. So I think GO is going to be pretty successful with this. Access to downtown Toronto via a GO train connection is just icing on the cake.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 5:50 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 7:28 PM

I believe waterloowarrior meant to show the newly posted GO schedules and fares on the GRT site.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 11:31 PM

anybody knows why there is no sportsworld stop?

I know thats mainly greyhound hub but would make sense to have stop there?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 12:21 AM

The Cambridge park and ride is not that far, and Sportsworld is not the sort of place you get to by transit. But it's not like the process is at all transparent, so who knows.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario