HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 3:39 PM
Registered Ugly

Somehow I was unsubscribed from this sub, thanks for keeping it alive and for posting all of the photos. I've been way out of the loop, apparently!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 4:49 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Somehow I was unsubscribed from this sub, thanks for keeping it alive and for posting all of the photos. I've been way out of the loop, apparently!
Thanks! Trying, although I've not kept up with it as well as LMich (missing his presence around here). He always had his finger on the pulse for the local beat. Updates have become much more sparse since he took off for SSC, (where he still posts regular updates). I just post what I can, when I see something come across my other feeds, or on the rare occasion that I am in the Lansing area.

On that note, the Allen Neighborhood Community Center / Allen Place is pretty close to completion. Here is a not-so-great photo (I cropped out some of the ugly paving, but there's not much to be done about the cheap-looking metal panel finish) -

Source: LinkedIn | The Wieland Corporation

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 5:24 PM
Registered Ugly

I used to live a block from there on Allen before I moved to Portland. Strange to see that parking lot filled in with this since it was the home of the farmers' market. Not crazy about the cladding or lack of balconies. Looks very stuffy from the outside. But I'm sure the housing is needed, and it's medium density.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2021, 3:10 PM
somewhere in-between

Red Cedar Development (not sure of the date these were taken) -

Source: The Martin Quiver

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 7:26 PM

I got out last week and took some pictures around downtown and the Red Cedar development, here's a link to the Flickr album with tons of pictures: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmX8agT8

Red Cedar Area:
IMG_0544 by Jason, on Flickr

IMG_0547 by Jason, on Flickr

IMG_0549 by Jason, on Flickr

IMG_0553 by Jason, on Flickr

IMG_0608 by Jason, on Flickr

IMG_0674 by Jason, on Flickr

IMG_0680 by Jason, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 7:37 PM

Pictures from around downtown...

Recently completed Michigan Realtors Building at NE corner of Saginaw & Washington:
IMG_0715 by Jason, on Flickr

IMG_0695 by Jason, on Flickr

IMG_0700 by Jason, on Flickr

The adjacent Durant Park has a nice arch that was restored several years ago:
IMG_0701 by Jason, on Flickr

New LCC parking ramp under contsruction just south of the new Realtors building at the SW corner of Grand & Saginaw:
IMG_0684 by Jason, on Flickr

IMG_0693 by Jason, on Flickr

The sprawling Gannon Building that the new ramp is attached to received some upgrades to entrances and common areas a few years ago, including the expanded cafeteria area:
IMG_0681 by Jason, on Flickr

A few random pictures around LCC:
IMG_0721 by Jason, on Flickr

IMG_0720 by Jason, on Flickr

IMG_0725 by Jason, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 7:51 PM

The new underground Heritage Hall is coming along on the west lawn of the Capitol, dirt is being piled back on top of the new structure and the west staircase to the Capitol is being put back in place:

IMG_0746 by Jason, on Flickr

IMG_0754 by Jason, on Flickr

IMG_0759 by Jason, on Flickr

Oliver Towers, a former public housing apartment building downtown that was vacant for many years following a fire was renovated into the Capitol View Apartments a couple years ago (NW corner of Capitol & Ionia):
IMG_0727 by Jason, on Flickr

IMG_0739 by Jason, on Flickr

The recently completed Metro Place apartments at the site of the old YMCA (SW corner of Townsend & Lenawee):
IMG_0771 by Jason, on Flickr

IMG_0766 by Jason, on Flickr

The former Lake Trust Credit Union building (SE corner of Washtenaw & Capitol) is being renovated into apartments and commercial space. Behind it (to the right/south) is site work for a new 5 floor apartment building along Hillsdale St, in the week after I took these pictures work on the first floor columns began. The entire block is slated for redevelopment and the Washington St frontage is likely one of the candidates for the proposed performing arts center:
IMG_0775 by Jason, on Flickr

The recently expanded Market Place apartments:
IMG_0796 by Jason, on Flickr

IMG_0795 by Jason, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 11:20 PM

Great update, thanks!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 3:47 AM
somewhere in-between

Yes, awesome updates indeed. I much appreciate seeing some original photos. The replacement LCC parking ramp is a lot further along than I would have guessed. And Capitol View Apartments turned out well.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 1:24 AM

GM is proposing a new $2.5 billion battery production facility on 590 acres adjacent to their current Delta Township final assembly plant. The proposed building would be 2.5 million sq ft, almost doubling the size of current assembly plant complex. It would create 1700 permanent jobs and 100 construction jobs and it looks like they may be aiming for a 2026 completion.

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/...ip/6464210001/

https://www.lansingcitypulse.com/sto...-lansing,19211

This is obviously great news for the Lansing area in general and for the future of the two existing GM final assembly plants there, which are two of GM's newest factories in the US.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 3:34 AM

...And it's official, Lansing will get a new 2.5 million sq ft $2.5 billion dollar battery plant, GM also announced over $500 million in investment for the two assembly plants here. They project 1700 permanent jobs if they go three shifts and expect completion by the end of 2024 which I imagine means they'll be moving pretty quickly with construction. Great news for the area.

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/...ty/6634338001/

Last edited by hood; Feb 6, 2022 at 7:55 PM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 8:10 PM

The mayor recently announced long awaited plans for a performing arts center. Details are sparse besides that it will have around 1,500 seats and may include some small "artist apartments". The amount of money to be spent is in flux, it's not clear if the current design is preliminary or if it's representative of what they actually intend to build. I'm not a fan of this design or anything looks remotely like it, our long awaited performing arts center may end up as much of a joke as our replacement city market.

Lansing unveils plans for 2,025-person music and arts venue 'The Ovation'
Lansing to build performing arts center on Washington Avenue

The mayor is also at it again soliciting proposals for a new city hall/police hq/courts/jail complex. They say a refurbishment of the current building would cost $60-$80 million and if that price tag is scaring them I can only imagine the lowly replacement options they'll be considering. There's even talk of retrofitting a vacant office building as an acceptable option for our city hall, the face of our city. This and the performing arts center make for some disappointing news IMO

Lansing asks developers for new city hall proposals

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 11:19 AM
somewhere in-between

^ Agreed. Not a fan of that. Not at all. Please do better.

The new McLaren Greater Lansing Hospital is officially open. This turned out to be one sharp-looking project that utilized some pretty cool project delivery methods -

Quote:
McLaren Greater Lansing is officially open. Here's how staff pulled off the big move.
Annabel Aguiar | Lansing State Journal
March 6, 2022

Source: McLaren

Last edited by deja vu; May 20, 2022 at 3:36 AM.

Old Posted May 1, 2022, 1:48 AM
somewhere in-between

City View Apartments progress -

Source: LinkedIn | The Wieland Corporation

Last edited by deja vu; May 20, 2022 at 3:35 AM.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 2:32 AM
somewhere in-between

East Lansing -

MSU FCU just had its topping out -

The view from the top -

Source: LinkedIn | Granger Construction

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 1:02 AM
Registered Ugly

What a tremendous amount of change to the whole Michigan/Grand River corridor has seen the last decade. I'm also happy to see MSUFCU finally contribute in a meaningful way to downtown despite their huge 20th Century mistake of a sprawl complex they built out on Coolidge near Bath Township. I still don't understand what part of their operation will be housed here, but I'm sure downtown will be happy for the bodies in the off season.

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 2:44 AM
somewhere in-between

^ Yeah, it's a pretty incredible transformation.

Groundbreaking for McLaren Greater Lansing Medical Services Building 2 took place in December 2021. The 60,400 SF medical services building is being built through a partnership with MSU, and it is expected to open in summer 2023, in the shadow of the new hospital -

Source: http://medicalservicesbuilding2.com/

Source: LinkedIn | Gillespie Group

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 3:07 AM
somewhere in-between

I forgot to mention that MSU's School of Packaging celebrated a groundbreaking last month. There are $10+ million in planned improvements to the facility. Did you know that MSU boasts the largest and oldest packaging program in higher education in the country? And it is the only packaging program in the U.S. that offers a Ph.D. You can read more here. There is a construction camera here -

Video Link

Source: MSU Today

Source: The Christman Company

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 4:12 AM

I was not aware of that packaging facility project, I know MSU is proud of their packaging school though. It's always good to see a little more infill.

I guess it'd be good time to mention a few other projects at MSU:

The first phase of the additions that will make up the new Tom Izzo football building has started. It's not too significant in scale but there are apparently much bigger plans to come. FOOTBALL COMPLEX RENOVATION AND ADDITION

https://youtu.be/vvnKcjbBjo0

They're currently spending $13 million on general use athletic fields along Service Rd in South Campus SERVICE ROAD FIELDS:

And finally, MSU is in the planning phase for a replacement for their IM West, the main student gym facility on campus. This will be a major project placed near Service & Harrison Rd on vacant land HEALTH, WELLNESS AND FITNESS CENTER

Old Posted Jul 31, 2022, 8:06 PM
somewhere in-between

Moody Nolan has been selected to design the new student recreation and well-being center at MSU. Some conceptual renderings are included with the firm's announcement. Hood, this is the same project as the last one you posted above, right? The renderings look a little different, but it sounds like the same thing.

Source: LinkedIn | Moody Nolan

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest