HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
... than on some vancouver neighborhood block where every lot on the street is worth at least $5M just for the freaking land alone!
On the other hand, if you lived there, the boat nerd in you would be a short walk from looking at this:

https://cdn.rennie.com/images/images...7ba1e8fafa.jpg

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 10:51 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post

We can't know which is the better deal;
in real estate discussions, the word "deal" is usually used within one of two main contexts:

context 1: holy crap, you got a lot house to live in for not a lot of money, what a deal!

context 2: holy crap, that little old shit-box you bought 4 years ago has now 3 X'ed in value, what a deal!

context 1 is more of a home-owner lens and context 2 is more of an investor lens.

neither perspective is right or wrong, but it always amuses me when the investor class members around here seem to get a little outta sorts when regular people casually use the word "deal" within context 1.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Aug 17, 2022 at 11:06 PM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 11:05 PM

I like my BTC example

context 1: holy crap, you got a bitcoin for $10k, what a deal!

context 2: holy crap, you just spent $10k on... hot air?!?

Vancouver real estate in neighborhoods where a standard-sized empty residential lot changes hands for $5M nowadays is pretty close to being bitcoin-that-you-have-to-mow-once-in-a-while. The only value is the hope that some other sucker will pay you more for it than you paid yourself.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 1:00 AM
BANNED

Lilo

Do you have any examples of homes besides of condos of a family of 4 or a family of 5 with 2-3 kids and live a normal life?

What are some of the cheaper condos and where are they at in VC?

Do workers have to travel far?

Id love to see a condo in a realistic price of a general condo that is under 400k

I'm interested in condos from 200-275 K in my area

I picked up one really cheap about 5 years ago and rarely use it, it is just two mins from my hospital, but I don't use it that often, just for double shifts. My iL property home base.

Are there options like that in VC?

I'm trying to pull a TUP Slumlord but my WI condo i'm looking to buy an upgraded and town home with a lot of sq feet. It has a garage 2 bed, two baths. So this bachlor pad I got 2 mins from work is more than I need. But that said, Id like to sublet it, and get something similar and improve the interiour
With not much money. My last grandfather from that lived though the great depression, he said try not to fall in love with your home, think of it as a finacial investment .

He had 6 children and moved his kids over and over when they were in grade school

I cannot say he was well liked but he left his 6 children multi millions and gave a good amount directly to his blood grandchildren

IF you are really wealthy

Spend it wide and set up a good will and testament.

I picked it up for 148K

I got equity to 230 right now

I can pull an equity loan easy for 40 K

and get it fast

But since TUP don't post anymore

I'm looking for advice in my area that can buy rental property

I know I can can charge over 275 dollars a month to pay above the mortgage

I look forward to your search.

exist

Last edited by bnk; Aug 18, 2022 at 1:23 AM.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 1:30 AM
BANNED

Quote:
In rooms like this one, in apartments shared with strangers:
750K for a closet room that only fits your bed?

I think something is wrong there, just saying

I appreciate your response Lio

But there has to be places under a half of a million some where there

I figure you have trailor parks or something.?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 1:44 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
not to fall in love with your home, think of it as a finacial investment .
I love my home and we plan on spending at least another 10-15 years there. Upside is that it doubled in value in ten years. We do have second investment property but it's not 'home'.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Greenbelt restrictions are wildly popular in Canada. Like, wildly popular. Ontario's Premier let slip in 2018 during his first election campaign that he would consider modifying Toronto's Greenbelt and his polling numbers plummeted until he revised his position.
Because a ton of people would immediately be underwater on their mortgages.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
It's kind of amazing to me that there seemingly isn't much outcry from Canadians ...
Two-thirds of Canadians own real estate (and when polled, state that they'd rather be richer than poorer); the remaining third can whine all they want but aren't numerous enough to cause the election of politicians promising to make the other two-thirds significantly lose wealth if elected.

In other words, it's a feature, not a bug (to ~65% of Canadians).

And that's why it's going to stay like this for the foreseeable future.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 2:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I love my home and we plan on spending at least another 10-15 years there. Upside is that it doubled in value in ten years. We do have second investment property but it's not 'home'.
I got poor advice with my rich grand father

And my passed mother gave me very poor advice to marry for money and not love.

I took in a lot of bad advise from my family

I feel bad I listened to it.

It was all bunk

If you can marry for true love I recommend it.

My marriage was doomed from the start.

I never loved her

And I knew it was a mistake when she walked down the asile

But it was too late by than

I tried to stop the marrige about 4 months before my wedding.

She was saying it was too late and would be Embaresssing and we already spent 20k into it.

The only great things that came out of my marriage is my two brillient children

Those two of them keep me going to work and help them in their collages

That's my only reason to exisit

Sorry about all of the spelling errors

But his new version of my laptop will not even let me correct all of my spelling errors

Just trying to explain why there so many spelling errors

I used to get auto correct for every single spelling mis spelled word

this new version I will need to work on how to get an auto correct before I can post long texts until I figure this out.

I thank anyone that is interested in understand this issue of mine.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
750K for a closet room that only fits your bed?

I think something is wrong there, just saying
Your interpretation is wrong, that's what's wrong It's $750 per month, to rent that room. (In an apartment shared with strangers.)

It's an example of something that the working class can afford in that city.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 2:17 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Your interpretation is wrong, that's what's wrong It's $750 per month, to rent that room. (In an apartment shared with strangers.)

It's an example of something that the working class can afford in that city.
Oh

OK

That is some thing to understand

But how many single rooms, basements, garages are left to rent to left to rent in that area?

How can one be married and raise a family in an only queen size bed that covers the entire room?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
What are some of the cheaper condos and where are they at in VC?

Do workers have to travel far?
Just like in most American cities, you can save $ on purchase price by tolerating a longer commute.

Quote:
I'm interested in condos from 200-275 K in my area

I picked up one really cheap about 5 years ago and rarely use it, it is just two mins from my hospital, but I don't use it that often, just for double shifts. My iL property home base.

Are there options like that in VC?

I'm trying to pull a TUP Slumlord but my WI condo i'm looking to buy an upgraded and town home with a lot of sq feet. It has a garage 2 bed, two baths. So this bachlor pad I got 2 mins from work is more than I need. But that said, Id like to sublet it, and get something similar and improve the interiour
If you have a condo that you very rarely use, you should start by renting it. Do that first, and then if you find that you like it (it's not for everyone, some people are too perfectionist or too easily worried), then you can consider expanding. I'm pretty sure you have decent yearly income and little debt, so you could almost certainly use leverage and buy a bunch of Chicagoland stuff if you wanted.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
What a beautiful house! It's a shame the average US house are so ugly and uninventive. This thread is an example of it. Full of hidious things.

And why is it so cheap, relatively speaking?
Right?? I think it's gorgeous! Lots of character for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
MCM homes are very cool in theory. But they usually seem quite impractical. Drafty, bad drainage, weird window placement, bad, echo-y acoustics. I think the acoustics bother me the most, with all the hard surfaces and ceilings creating the kind of sound you get in a too-trendy restaurant.

I had to talk my wife out of bidding on a small weekend MCM home. So happy I dodged that bullet.
??

Depending on the furnishings, not just for mid-century homes but ANY home, you can adjust the acoustics. Draftiness can occur with any style of house----just get new windows and better insulation. And, mid-century homes can be quite cozy, again, based on how you furnish it. And you can go quite tasteful with it, much more tasteful than say French country furnishings or something (BARF, I never liked that look, nor that Georgian look). I've been in a few mid-century homes that were really quite nice!

Quote:
For the record, I absolutely love that house. It's near architectural perfection, and fits its SoCal setting so well to boot.
I totally agree!

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Smallish, old home (for Bev Hills) that probably needs $1 million in work for a gut job. Just a pool remodel is 20k, large windows can be 40k, etc. Adds up real fast. 100k for professional appliances.

MCM usually doesn't sell that well in the U.S. Maybe in Palm Springs or the Hamptons. But most high-end homebuyers won't even look at MCM.
MCM is always a hot commodity in Los Angeles

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 4:30 AM

Mmm, I think this Mayan-revival Lloyd Wright-designed house in Glendale built in 1926 is delicious...

The Derby House. On the National Register of Historic Places.

For sale: $3,195,000

5 bed
3 bath
3,281 square feet
0.27acre lot

2535 E Chevy Chase Dr, Glendale, CA 91206

Link: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M29443-55050

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
MCM is always a hot commodity in Los Angeles
Definitely not true. If you look at the most expensive sales in LA, traditional styles dominate.

MCM is a niche that doesn't have broad appeal.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 5:59 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Definitely not true. If you look at the most expensive sales in LA, traditional styles dominate.

The most expensive houses in LA (or anywhere) tend to be monstrosities in prime locations outfitted with the latest and greatest. Yes, MCM is a niche market but the house above is not going to be a tempting deal due to the magnitude of work/ updates needed.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 3:10 PM

I really like the MCM look, but, for whatever reason, if you look at top SFH sales from coast to coast, it's usually giant, tacky pseudo-historic looking mansions.

And I've noticed that, all things equal, MCM listings tend to linger a bit longer than non-MCM. It's a (very cool) niche.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 3:13 PM

Quote:

Did I say the most expensive houses? Those are usually contemporary monstrosities.

MCM is extremely popular and gets a premium. This is a fact. Btw, in a realtor in LA and have been for 15 years. You?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 3:17 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
The only value is the hope that some other sucker will pay you more for it than you paid yourself.
if the lens you look at real estate through is that of an investor, then the above is true for any property anywhere.

but for A LOT of other people, the real estate game is just "home", and lots of intangibles beyond mere dollars and cents go into the equation of whether or not a given individual views their home purchase as a "good deal".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions