HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 4:14 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

Common sense prevails over political leanings

I think we all understand basic economics, and come to the conclusion that some of the bone-headed ideas that these Aldermen come up with just.....make no sense when you think about it

Yeah, it's not even a left or right thing.

Measures or market factors that deter supply/increase the cost of it will result in increased prices, ceteris paribus.

It's just acknowledging reality.

There's all sorts of policy details to be considered underneath, however top line, policymakers that want to do something to improve housing affordability should have a guiding principle of ensuring the totality of measures do not deter aggregate supply at the end of the day - and if possible, actually encourage it.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPlanner View Post
From Alderman Hopkins yesterday evening:

I used to live around here. This will easily be the tallest building for quite a ways around - the area tops out in the 3-6 story range. In terms of volume, it may be as big or bigger than any DePaul building.

Curious who the market is for the apartments. If it's DePaul students, the location makes a lot of sense obviously. For anyone commuting, the Fullerton stop is walkable, but towards the outer range of what you would want to do in the winter (half a mile / 10+ minutes).

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Say what you will about that Fullerton building design but it still beats the shit out of what's there currently.
I nearly completely disagree. That elevation looks absolutely horrifying.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
I nearly completely disagree. That elevation looks absolutely horrifying.
I'm not saying that the new building is great (at all....), but let's be honest here. You'd rather have a blank wall, self storage looking building thing with a surface lot element and tennis courts at the street level in a fairly urban area over this?

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9252...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 5:32 PM

I pray 1320 W Fullerton ends up looking nothing like that. Looks like something you'd see in a suburb trying to "revitalize" its downtown. Giving major "hey fellow kids" vibes.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 5:33 PM
TL;DR

^ Arlington Heights would never

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 5:37 PM

If I was trying to sneak a 14 floor residential building in to this part of LP I'd probably design it like this too.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 5:46 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying that the new building is great (at all....), but let's be honest here. You'd rather have a blank wall, self storage looking building thing with a surface lot element and tennis courts at the street level in a fairly urban area over this?

I promise I'm not taking you for a ride, but yes, I'd rather have what's there. The concrete has an interesting construction, to me (it has restoration potential IMO), the tennis courts are a humane element, and the parking is oriented to the depth of the lot, making its presence minimized from the street (and its ingress/egress is constrained in a way to promote less reckless entry and exit than most lots -- it doesn't scream "pull in here NOW!").

Realistically, I'll never experience the full elevation of whatever gets built, but the bad semblance of the base/shaft/capital idiom of the proposal is pitiful. If that's their way of trying to get the building to appear less massive, it's a counter-productive tactic: it will end up looking like a cartoonishly overscaled derivation of the historical stock around it. (Developers seem intent on believing that their building's proportions will be assessed in vacuum.)

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
If I was trying to sneak a 14 floor residential building in to this part of LP I'd probably design it like this too.
Note it's in Hopkins weird little slice of the ward so he doesn't actually have to listen to any NIMBYs in Michelle Smith's ward. The perks of the lobster shaped Ward 2.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 8:24 PM
Show me the blueprints

1320 W Fullerton

Dearlord

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 8:25 PM

How can you claim to represent your constituents when THAT is your ward map? What a joke...we really need at least 20 less wards and stop these maps!

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 8:42 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
Left of Center? Might as well change your name to Right of Center!
Haha ouch! My post did come off as quite economically neoliberal, so perhaps I do deserve that

I consider myself to be politically liberal, but I do have a Finance degree from UIC and have a fair understanding of market dynamics. I am very much in support of affordable housing, but it needs to be done in a way that promotes it from a market perspective. Fighting the market is costly and typically does not work. If you want prices to drop or stabilize, you can either reduce demand or increase supply. Pilsen is a great neighborhood with an excellent location close to the Loop, plenty of amenities, great housing stock and intact urban fabric. Keeping people out is not a viable option. So the next step is allowing developers to build as densely as possible in order to create enough supply to absorb the demand and put a buff on prices. Landlords will be less willing to sell their properties to developers or evict tenants in order to raise rents if the ROI of doing so isn't worth it.

Anything that makes new development more difficult, such as in this case with demo fees, or curbing new development (such as the parking lots by 18th and Racine that have basically been left to sit idle by former alderman Solis), by definition restricts supply. Restricted supply but unchanged demand will cause a rise in prices, and the way around being unable to develop empty lots or demolish abandoned buildings is to evict existing residents, renovate and lease out to the people who are willing to pay more, which is within the right of the current property owners to do. The best way to protect existing residents is to have the people that would displace them become neighbors instead.

The only other other option is to entirely remove the free market from the process, such as creating government funded housing. Public housing has not worked well in the past, due to high levels of disinvestment and lack of mixed income communities (basically wholesale warehousing of the poor by the CHA), and thus the political appetite for this route is pretty low.

The argument basically boils down to, how do we best have affordable housing in the city? The answer, in my opinion, is to allow as much development as possible to soak up demand and to moderate prices. If we have a glut of housing, housing prices will come down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

Common sense prevails over political leanings

I think we all understand basic economics, and come to the conclusion that some of the bone-headed ideas that these Aldermen come up with just.....make no sense when you think about it

Its not even political in my eyes. The United States in general is short on housing, which is why prices for new homes are so high (in addition to the crazy high costs of commodities such as lumber). We have been underbuilding homes since the Great Recession, and hopefully this begins to get corrected over the coming years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Yeah, it's not even a left or right thing.

Measures or market factors that deter supply/increase the cost of it will result in increased prices, ceteris paribus.

It's just acknowledging reality.

There's all sorts of policy details to be considered underneath, however top line, policymakers that want to do something to improve housing affordability should have a guiding principle of ensuring the totality of measures do not deter aggregate supply at the end of the day - and if possible, actually encourage it.

Exactly. Econ 101.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 8:52 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
How can you claim to represent your constituents when THAT is your ward map? What a joke...we really need at least 20 less wards and stop these maps!
LA has 15 alderman (1 per 265,000 people), NYC has 51 (1 per 165,000). Philly has 5 (1 per 300,000). At 50 alderman, Chicago has one alderman per 54,000 people. For Chicago to mimic LA's ratio, 10 alderman would suffice, 15 for New York's ratio, and 9 for Philly. We can easily cut the number of wards in half and still have a higher ratio than those cities.

As for crazy borders, that's nothing. Have you seen the IL 4th Congressional district?

Source: suntimes.com

I grew up in the near western burbs, and currently live in Ukrainian Village, about 12 miles away. I am still in the 4th Congressional district. I never never lived in any other as far as i know

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 8:58 PM

Yeah the congressional districts are really bad, but I understand the reasoning for that. ( a practice that needs to end across the country also) Making crazy districts for alderman makes absolutely no sense to me. Its not like you really need to lock in a voting group or try to screw the other party out of an alderman.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Note it's in Hopkins weird little slice of the ward so he doesn't actually have to listen to any NIMBYs in Michelle Smith's ward. The perks of the lobster shaped Ward 2.

Rham's revenge strikes again.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
Yeah the congressional districts are really bad, but I understand the reasoning for that. ( a practice that needs to end across the country also) Making crazy districts for alderman makes absolutely no sense to me. Its not like you really need to lock in a voting group or try to screw the other party out of an alderman.
I think probiting residential streets and alleys from being borders of wards (and even precincts) in the city would do wonders.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 9:47 PM

Quote:
That won't stop the NIMBYs from trying to NIMBY.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 10:38 PM

Quote:
New construction building permit was issued for 4600 N Kenmore (Kenmore and Wilson), the surface parking lot next to the future home of Double Door. On the other side of that building was the City Sports which has been demolished for another residential project.

This one permitted for a new 5 story building with 62 units and ground floor retail. Original plans were for an 8 story building. Height cut sucks but good to see another surface lot bite the dust..
Here's a rendering of the latest design.

Via: https://www.uptownupdate.com/2020/12...velopment.html

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
This is a fugly ham-handed attempt at traditional design. Looks like it might be precast. Ugh, but what can you expect from Lincoln Park?

No way this gets approved without a big chop.

It seems a little out of place there, too... plenty of places I would encourage density on the North Side but this just seems a bit too far from frequent transit or walkable commercial corridors. But it's probably convenient for DePaul students, I assume that's the target market. And if Lincoln Yards develops as an employment hub, it will be convenient to that.
What? It's a 10min walk from Fullerton Red/Brown/Purple, the Fullerton bus has 20min headways at it's least frequent, It's a 10 min walk from the Ashland bus which runs 24hrs and has express service. Lincoln/Halsted is a 12 minute walk and has tons of retail, as does Lincoln north of Diversey, also a 12 min walk

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 2:14 AM
The City

Quote:

Yeah I will take this project in a heartbeat over what’s there.

But my least favorite part of that strip has always been those two strip malls and that giant Atlantic Ocean sized parking lot. For the love of God, why are the worst ones always the LAST to go?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development