HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 8:01 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Province-considers-bombshell-move-to-audit-and-stabilize-the-city-of-edmonton

https://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/...ment-officials
funny how this happens right after they fire the UCP stooge.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 11:01 PM

He quit lol..

"To top it all off, last Friday city manager Andre Corbould announced his resignation, making him the seventh top bureaucrat to leave in the last 12 months.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 1:56 PM
Change is good

"he quit" yeah... forced to resign.

this black tar guy is a numpty.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2024, 3:22 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 3:43 PM

^

The per capita numbers may be accurate but that doesn't mean they're meaningful and not meaningless.

They make no allowance for the Edmonton's river valley and ravine system that is touted as one of Edmonton's greatest advantages; they make no allowance for Edmonton's transportation and utility corridors; they make no allowance for the substantial portions of Edmonton taken up by two railroads and major federal and provincial roadways; and they make no allowance for the substantial areas in Edmonton that are devoted to industrial development.

None of these areas are "habitable" although the road networks supporting them are reported here on a "per capita basis" as a complete negative despite their providing large employment bases with shorter commuting distances to employment and to recreational potential than are possible in many of the cities Edmonton is being compared to. It also completely ignores the non-residential property taxes some of these areas pay to the city directly and indirectly that provide a pretty large "per capita" financial bonus to Edmonton residents.

Last edited by kcantor; Apr 1, 2024 at 3:57 PM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 8:55 PM

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 2:08 PM
Community Guy

Administration said it applied for roughly $13 million in provincial grants to continue its enhanced cleaning services in the core, but the applications were unsuccessful.

The money would have enhanced the Centre City team’s budget, which cleans and maintains the public realm in downtown and adjacent neighbourhoods. In a report scheduled to be presented at council’s community and public services committee meeting on April 8, administration said the team responded to more than 10,000 issues between June 2023 and January 2024. Public engagement surveys, however, suggest people may not have noticed a difference. Administration conducted surveys in March 2023, before the enhanced service started, and in September 2023, about three months in. Results? The public perception of cleanliness was about the same and the perception of safety was worse in September. Administration said it plans to stretch the program funding to the end of October instead of July, as originally budgeted.

-Taproot

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 3:15 PM
Community Guy

City opens applications for Downtown Vibrancy Fund
April 9, 2024

News media are invited to join Councillor Anne Stevenson and Tom Girvan, Director of Downtown Vibrancy and Safe City, and downtown partners for an announcement on the City’s Downtown Vibrancy Fund, which continues to support projects led by businesses and organizations in the heart of our city.

Date: Wednesday, April 10
Time: 9 a.m.
For more information:
edmonton.ca/Downtown

Media contact:
Courtney Bettin
Communications Advisor
Urban Planning and Economy
780-288-5922

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 2:50 PM
Community Guy

Rogers Place/ICE District - 10 years later

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/10-years...orts-1.6840793

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 3:50 PM
Community Guy

City of Edmonton invests up to $5 million to infuse new activity and vibrancy into the downtown core
April 10, 2024

The City of Edmonton’s newest installment of the Downtown Vibrancy Fund, now open for applications, will see up to $5 million invested into vibrancy efforts for the downtown core. The fund, which is part of Edmonton’s Downtown Vibrancy Strategy, helps realize the potential in the heart of our city through collaboration with dedicated downtown partners.

“The Downtown Vibrancy Fund helps create a culture of creativity and action in our downtown community,” said Councillor Anne Stevenson. “We’ve seen dozens of incredible projects come to fruition through this fund, and this ongoing investment helps strengthen a vibrant and lively downtown.”

With a renewed focus on long-term investments, eligible projects will help activate our city centre and contribute to the pillars of the Downtown Vibrancy Strategy while aligning with one of four funding streams:

Recreational amenities to provide sport, leisure, or recreational opportunities, like a new basketball court.
Lighting to improve publicly accessible areas by adding creative lighting or projections.
Downtown events like festivals or activities that increase the number of people visiting downtown.
Public art and placemaking including artwork of any medium, including murals, sculptures or art installations.

“There is so much incredible work happening right now at a community and business level to build a more vibrant and prosperous downtown, and much of that work is being made possible through the Downtown Vibrancy Fund,” said Puneeta McBryan, Chief Executive Officer of the Edmonton Downtown Business Association (EDBA). “Last year, the fund enabled us at the EDBA to build and launch our Downtown Ambassadors, Downtown Night Patrol, and scale up our Retail Attraction Program, among many other events and initiatives. We’re so excited to continue partnering with the City of Edmonton on this kind of work and to see what kind of impact the fund can have in 2024 and beyond.”

Since its launch in 2021, the Downtown Vibrancy Fund has awarded over $8.2 million in funding to 174 projects, including the Downtown Business Association’s Retail Attraction Program, which helped increase retail occupancy in the downtown core. Good Goods, a socially responsible retailer and recipient of the grant, was able to use the investment to open their first permanent store downtown.

"We’re very excited to be able to have a permanent spot for the community to come together, experience our offerings and celebrate the Canadian brands we work with,” said Aga Wajda-Plytta, co-owner of Good Goods. “We really put our whole hearts into supporting our vendors and choosing products that we know our community will love. Through this grant opportunity, not only do we get to participate in building a more vibrant downtown, we also get to elevate Canadian socially responsible brands, making them easily accessible and something to feel good about."

Other Downtown Vibrancy Fund projects have included festivals, events, business supports, placemaking, lighting and the development of the Window and Storefront Repair Program. Last year, there were over 150 festivals and events downtown, surpassing pre-pandemic numbers. Combined with planned capital projects, such as Warehouse Park and Centennial Plaza, the City is creating conditions for a vibrant and sustainable economy in our downtown core.

To apply for the fund or learn more about previously funded projects, visit edmonton.ca/Downtown.
For more information:
edmonton.ca/Downtown

Media contact:
Courtney Bettin
Communications Advisor
Urban Planning and Economy
780-288-5922

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 12:51 AM
Community Guy

Downtown advocates aren't hiding their frustration
https://urbanaffairs.ca/edmonton-ish...-with-council/

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 2:58 PM
Community Guy

A good read from UDI-Edmonton - How to Build A Better Edmonton in 2024.

https://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/...monton-in-2024

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 6:05 PM
Community Guy

Yikes

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 2:01 PM
Change is good

Not surprised by that at all. UCP is scaring away the younger generations here with their BS

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 7:44 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
Not surprised by that at all. UCP is scaring away the younger generations here with their BS
What about Calgary? Same growth rate as Montreal, but VERY different culturally, politically, etc.

I think when we look at these stats for 2021 - 2026 it will be a very different result.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton