HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 8:02 PM

I remember going to New York last week, and I saw many cars violating the bus-only lanes during the heavy traffic jams.

Is it possible or feasible to somehow sequestre the bus lanes from the rest of traffic?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post
I remember going to New York last week, and I saw many cars violating the bus-only lanes during the heavy traffic jams.

Is it possible or feasible to somehow sequestre the bus lanes from the rest of traffic?
I think London uses a combination of cameras on buses and fixed-location cameras to fine violators.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 3:57 AM

From the MTA's website:

Quote:
Construction of the No. 7 Subway Extension, which will provide new subway service to 34th Street and 11th Avenue, continues to make significant progress. As part of the project's largest contract, boring for two parallel subway tunnels is complete. The contract, which also includes excavation of a three-block long cavern for the subway station, a station platform and mezzanine level, is 85 percent complete. It has a contractual completion date of September 2012.

The concrete pours which create the main cavern arches for the station have been completed.

A systems contract, which will include rail track, all mechanical, electrical and related systems throughout the tunnels, station, ventilation buildings and the main subway entrance at 34th Street is currently in procurement, with a forecasted award date of July 2011. This is the last contract needed to initiate service on the No. 7 Line Extension in December 2013. An additional contract for a secondary entrance to the subway station will be awarded in the future, but its completion is not necessary for service to begin on the new subway extension.

The No. 7 Line extension will go from the intersection of West 41st Street and Eighth Avenue, west under 41st Street, and turn south under 11th Avenue. A new terminal station will be located at 34th Street and 11th Avenue, allowing convenient access to the adjacent development and the Jacob Javits Convention Center.

The 7 line extension will introduce subway service to an emerging mixed-use community in Midtown West, fostering transit oriented development in one of Manhattan's most underserved and underdeveloped areas. The City created two local development corporations, the Hudson Yards Infrastructure Corporation (HYIC), which is contributing $2.1 billion to the project, and the Hudson Yards Development Corporation (HYDC), which oversees planning and development in the Hudson Yards on behalf of the City.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 4:18 AM

And work on the Second Avenue Subway is still rolling along.

From the MTA:

Quote:
After completing the excavation of the first of two tunnels earlier this year, a Tunnel Boring Machine (TBM) has begun mining the second (east) tunnel for the Second Avenue Subway. Starting again from 92nd Street, this second tunnel will be 7,800 linear feet long.

On its journey, the second tunnel will make a tight, westerly curve into the existing 63rd Street Station. Once completed, the tunnel will receive the concrete lining which provides the permanent tunnel structure.

During the first 200 feet, the TBM will be mining through ground which has been frozen, a technique which engineers employ to harden soil, or decomposed rock, enabling the excavation process.

The TBM previously mined 7,162 feet for the first tunnel. The 485-ton, 450-foot-long machine began mining in June 2010 from 92nd Street to 65th Street and was then disassembled and pulled back to 92nd Street where it started its second run on the second tunnel last week. The subway line is on schedule to be completed by December 2016.

Phase I of the Second Avenue Subway will serve more than 200,000 people per day, reducing overcrowding on the Lexington Avenue Line and restoring a transit link to a neighborhood that lost the Second Avenue Elevated in 1940. When Phase I is complete, it will decrease crowding on the adjacent Lexington Avenue Line by as much as 13%, or 23,500 fewer riders on an average weekday. It will also reduce travel times by up to 10 minutes or more (up to 27%) for those on the far east side or those traveling from the east side to west midtown.

The line is being built in phases, with Phase I providing service from 96th Street to 63rd Street as an extension of the Q train, with three new ADA-accessible stations at 96th, 86th and 72nd Streets. New entrances to the existing Lexington Av/63 Street Station will also be added at 63rd Street and Third Avenue. Further phases of the project will extend the line from 125th Street in Harlem to Hanover Square in the Financial District. The configuration of the tracks will allow for possible future extensions into Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx.

The Second Avenue Subway is one of four large-scale projects being built as the MTA undertakes the largest expansion of New York's public transportation system in two generations. The MTA is also connecting the Long Island Rail Road to Grand Central Terminal, extending the 7 subway line to the far west side, and building the Fulton Street Transit Center in Lower Manhattan.

And some more shots from The Launch Box:

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 4:55 AM
TL;DR

The cavern on the 7 Extension is awesome. It looks like the Roman baths. It's a shame they're gonna make that huge space feel cramped with their gigantic mezzanine level.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 5:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post

The upcoming 34th Street transitway was supposed to do that. But they've nerfed it, and now it will just be bus lanes that aren't separated like you can find anywhere.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 2:41 AM
BANNED

Does NYC have some kind of mental problem when it comes to cameras to reinforce bus lanes? You don't need seperated bus lanes if you can have proper cameras. Also, they should be allowed to change lights.

Politics always seems to destroy common sense in NYC. Just do it right if you're going to attempt these things. It just looks foolish and pathetic when things are done half-assed.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 10:06 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

My First Large Scale Subway Video of the A-C-E lines....

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 9:03 AM

Build up/down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The cavern on the 7 Extension is awesome. It looks like the Roman baths. It's a shame they're gonna make that huge space feel cramped with their gigantic mezzanine level.

Makes your wonder why build up a Roman bath or cathedral, when you could just dig one.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 3:39 AM

Here's a short video with some interesting footage of the current state of construction under Grand Central for the LIRR East Side Access Project.

http://www.LoHud.com/videonetwork/90...-Access-tunnel

And here are some construction photos from the same article:

Last edited by KVNBKLYN; Apr 23, 2011 at 3:54 AM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 5:53 AM
TL;DR

Cool. Stuff like this always stokes my patriotism.

I appreciate it even more now that I have some sense of just how complex it all is, from both an engineering and political standpoint.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 6:03 AM
BANNED

Red Hook is not getting the streetcar some had hoped for.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 9:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVNBKLYN View Post
Here's a short video with some interesting footage of the current state of construction under Grand Central for the LIRR East Side Access Project.

http://www.LoHud.com/videonetwork/90...-Access-tunnel

And here are some construction photos from the same article:

I made an LIRR thread.....

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 1:16 PM
TL;DR

The Times just posted a 360-degree view of City Hall station... there's one on the platform, and one in the mezzanine. I doubt I'll ever get to see it in person, so this is really pretty awesome.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...egion&emc=ura6

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 2:00 PM

NYC Drivers Who Speed Will See Skeletons

http://transportationnation.org/2011...warning-signs/

Quote:
Drivers who exceed the speed limit in two city neighborhoods will soon see the words “SLOW DOWN” and the image of a skeleton flashed on electronic signs by the side of the road. As long as a driver obeys the city’s 30 mph speed limit, no skeleton will appear.

The signs have been placed along stretches of Bruckner Boulevard in the Bronx and Richmond Avenue in Staten Island – roads that, respectively, were shown by a DOT study to have 96 percent and 66 percent of motorists speeding.

“We’re playing with people’s lives,” Bloomberg said of speeding vehicles. He then cited global statistics on traffic fatalities: “About 148 people die in road traffic deaths every single hour. I think it’s 1.3 million people a year. This is going to be the fifth largest killer in the world in another few years.”

City Department of Transportation Commissioner Janette Sadik-Khan joined Bloomberg at the press conference, which took place at the intersection of Broadway and Fifth Avenue in Manhattan — a spot that had once been a traffic lane but is now a protected pedestrian island.

She said the department will test a new slow-speed driving zone in the Claremont section of the Bronx, which has a high concentration of schools and vehicle crashes per square mile. The largely residential neighborhood will get a 20 mile per hour speed limit this summer — the lowest in the city.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 4:41 PM

Interesting that ive never posted my subway videos here....i'll post them 3-4 at a time....I will also be taking location requests..

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 9:39 PM

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 6:27 AM

My last few subway videos i have taken...

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 4:38 AM

The MTA has posted more photos of the construction progress on both the 7 train extension and the Fulton transit center.

7 Train:

Fulton Transit Center:

And for good measure, here are a few shots of the newly opened connector at Court Square:

Lots more shots at the MTA's Flickr site.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 1:51 AM

(4)(6)

Video Link

DSC05091 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

DSC05090 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

(7)

DSC05035 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

DSC05039 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

DSC04982 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

DSC04978 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

DSC04979 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

DSC04980 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

DSC04981 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

(C) @ 14th Street

Video Link

DSC05099 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

DSC05097 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

DSC05092 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

(E)

Video Link

DSC05101 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

(L)

Video Link

(N)(Q) - I heard announcements for both trains , but i forgot to write that down...so i don't know which train is which.

Video Link

DSC04985 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

DSC04996 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

DSC05000 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

DSC05009 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation