Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

PENN 15 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 16, 2022, 2:19 AM
Show me the blueprints

Maybe better? I still don't know...

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 16, 2022, 2:22 AM

Frankly liked it either way, wasn't really concerned about the base, more about the upper parts of the tower.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2022, 4:28 AM

The base definitely looks better in the updated renderings.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2022, 2:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The base definitely looks better in the updated renderings.
Yes, it does. The street level, and how buildings meet it is really what makes New York, New York. As we’ve seen, you can put up a skyscraper anywhere in the world. But in NY, you have to join the unique cityscape. They require retail on your ground floors, or other public uses, embracing the foot culture the city is known for, and regulate the streetwall. There are special cases, but this needn’t and shouldn’t be one of them.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2022, 3:18 PM
BANNED

I love the tapering. This tower is going to be spectacular. I’d love to see the garbage in the area cleaned up now — not in 15 years.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2022, 3:31 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Yes, it does. The street level, and how buildings meet it is really what makes New York, New York. As we’ve seen, you can put up a skyscraper anywhere in the world. But in NY, you have to join the unique cityscape. They require retail on your ground floors, or other public uses, embracing the foot culture the city is known for, and regulate the streetwall. There are special cases, but this needn’t and shouldn’t be one of them.

Well put.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 17, 2022, 12:37 AM

Loving the trend of outdoor green space in tall buildings. Feels very futuristic/utopian.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2022, 12:58 AM

Well the more i see this tower.. the more it solidifies what i think about it..GARBAGE!!

Thank god for 175 and 270 Park..two iconic NYC towers!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2022, 1:53 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
Loving the trend of outdoor green space in tall buildings. Feels very futuristic/utopian.
Really? I hate it. Partly because I know, as everyone else should, that those trees might show up for the first few years and then they will either die or be taken out for other reasons.

It just seems like all these outdoor terraces make a commercial tower look like a cheap balcony clad apartment tower.

Aside from the improved 8th Av base, this tower is still a train wreck. The best news I could wake up to regarding the Hotel Penn site is "Architect Returns To Drawing Board".

Old Posted Apr 17, 2022, 2:16 AM

If this looks like a "cheap balcony clad apartment tower" to you, I'd love to know the location of that tower because that would be amazing to live in.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2022, 2:46 AM
Show me the blueprints

I'm saying the jenga-esque terraces resemble balconies. If that's something you like, that is your prerogative.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2022, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I'm saying the jenga-esque terraces resemble balconies. If that's something you like, that is your prerogative.
I was just saying the renderings of the terraces look really good when you're on them. Not saying anything about how they look from afar.

Last edited by MAC123; Apr 17, 2022 at 3:36 AM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2022, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Really? I hate it. Partly because I know, as everyone else should, that those trees might show up for the first few years and then they will either die or be taken out for other reasons.

It just seems like all these outdoor terraces make a commercial tower look like a cheap balcony clad apartment tower.

Aside from the improved 8th Av base, this tower is still a train wreck. The best news I could wake up to regarding the Hotel Penn site is "Architect Returns To Drawing Board".
I am skeptical of the trend as well. It reminds me of the trend in the 60s/70s for street level public plazas and superblocks, and we know how those trends turned out. We'll see how this trend goes, but this building will look even worse without the terraces (I'm still not a fan of it anyway).

Old Posted Apr 18, 2022, 3:19 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
I am skeptical of the trend as well. It reminds me of the trend in the 60s/70s for street level public plazas and superblocks, and we know how those trends turned out. We'll see how this trend goes, but this building will look even worse without the terraces (I'm still not a fan of it anyway).
Well, it's here to stay. Once companies (and employees) become accustomed to that amenity space, it's not something that can easily be wrenched away. Vornado is in the business of leasing space, so they're well aware of where the market is now, and to be in that business, especially in New York, you'd better be. It's why basically all the new towers have it, and older towers are being retrofitted with it.

I still say this tower looks more Park Avenue (with a mix of Broadway). But the area is already a mini Times Square.

April 17, 2022

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2022, 3:27 AM
BANNED

I wonder if Vornado will build the foundation like BP did at 3 Hudson and let it sit until they find a tenant.

If it takes a while to find a tenant, it will suck to have a boarded up construction site for five years like Vornado did on 59th and Lex.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2022, 3:58 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

the earlier sleek pelli’s, even though its derivative of other versions of itself, looked a lot better than this version. and that is an understatement. however, in the covid era and beyond the open balconies here will no doubt be appreciated. the new base is alright i guess. there is some effort there to accomodate the busy masses who will be swarming around this building.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 11:19 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^

Speaking of masses, I'm just thinking of the potential traffic in this area once this is up and running and trucks with supplies are lining the street. Although will be a great sight to see once its topped out, and your going up the escalators from Penn Station.

Coming into Penn and entering the city has always been one of the more dramatic entrances to the city. More than say PATH IMO. One could say Grand Central... but doesn't have the pure street energy of Penn Station and 6th Avenue. You can see it all! The skyscrapers, the traffic, the guy wearing a pair of broken headphones in a wheel chair preaching gospel... its all there!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2022, 3:28 AM
DENNAB

Shame about the slight height cut (although referring to the title, 1,200 feet is 366 meters not 388)

Still pretty tall and imposing, not really sold on the design yet though I admit.

Would this break ground this year?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2022, 5:29 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Shame about the slight height cut (although referring to the title, 1,200 feet is 366 meters not 388)

Still pretty tall and imposing, not really sold on the design yet though I admit.

Would this break ground this year?
The hotel is under demolition, which should be completed sometime next year. The MTA has been reviewing plans, though I don’t know if that’s for foundation work.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 3:35 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I'd imagine Q4 2023 for foundation. The demo will take a while.

Looking at the functionality profile, I hope they don't run into to many issues trying to get some pre-commitments.

A big tech anchor would be ideal. Or at least something that can fill 1 mil-sqft or close to it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals