HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittywhompus View Post
Yawn! Not liking this one too much. Too boring and simplistic IMO.
If that's simplistic, then you can't be a fan of 'The Sprial'

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 2:10 AM
DENNAB

I wonder how much of his own money Larry could put towards this, or if the government can step in, too.

It's nice we've seen a leaked design but I also care about making serious moves to get it off the ground.

If this and 5WTC could be built within the next ~5 years, and 1WTC's ugly Spantenna could be clad just a little more, that would really complete the complex.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZeig1 View Post
If that's simplistic, then you can't be a fan of 'The Sprial'
I actually like 'The Spiral'. To me, this 2 WTC model looks like they just took a building, poked holes in it and put in gardens. Lol!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
I'd be very happy with this. That being said, I don't see anyone giving Larry $3-4B to build a spec tower, and I don't see anyone signing on for 750k pre-lease downtown any time soon.

It's quite possible that one or two fintechs may take 200-400K each, or a big fintech like Paypal may take more...I never heard of this fintech taking 200K at 3 WTC:
https://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/...de-center.html

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 4:20 PM
BANNED

That's true. If the reports are correct that the total sf of office space in this tower has dropped by around 600k (to accommodate a hotel), then a 700k or 800k tenant commitment should be enough.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2022, 4:03 PM

I am thinking that neither of these is an actual plan but only conceptual designs because some official news would have came out by now if they were.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2022, 4:47 PM

it's simple. change wtc7 to 2 (they offset each other similar to the original twins) then add to it's height topping out a similar or different shape to wtc1.

wtc2 current site can be larry's mausoleum

fin

Old Posted Jan 1, 2022, 5:05 PM
New Yorker for life

Silverstein is doing fine with leases, this massive building will just require a large signing unless Silverstein decides to build on spec just to get it going, not an easy thing to do.

https://www.silversteinproperties.co...d-trade-center

Quote:
By Liz Young | New York Business Journal
December 14, 2021

Fintech Hudson River Trading has signed a deal to expand its offices at 3 World Trade Center by 75,200 square feet, taking two additional floors.

Hudson River Trading currently occupies 136,000 square feet across four floors at the skyscraper, including a private outdoor terrace on the 76th floor. This will bring its total footprint up to more than 211,000 square feet.

The company was founded in 2002 by a group of software developers and mathematicians who wanted to bring a scientific approach to trading stocks. Hudson River Trading now develops automated trading algorithms using advanced mathematical and statistical modeling techniques. It has offices around the world and trades equities, futures, options, currencies and fixed income on more than 100 markets worldwide.

Hudson River Trading had its offices on two upper floors next door at 4 World Trade Center before it moved to the larger space at 3 World Trade Center in 2019. Both buildings were developed by Silverstein Properties of New York City.

Other tenants at 3 World Trade Center include GroupM, Uber, Diageo, IEX, Blue Wolf Capital, Hana and Better.com.

Manhattan office leasing activity has been picking up recently amid the Covid-19 pandemic as many office workers are still logging in from home.

More than 3 million square feet was leased in November, up about 15% since October and nearly four times higher than the square footage leased in November 2020, according to the latest report by Colliers.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2022, 5:19 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Silverstein is doing fine with leases, this massive building will just require a large signing unless Silverstein decides to build on spec just to get it going, not an easy thing to do.
Why hasn't he built it on spec? If it's just a matter of money why can't the government step in like they should?

The is whole rebuilding process is such a failure.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2022, 6:48 PM

A reminder of how we got here, throwback to 11 years, 9 months ago:

https://www.wtc.com/media/news/tenta...lding-wtc-site

Quote:

Tentative Deal Reached on Rebuilding WTC Site - 26 Mar 2010

Under the tentative deal, the Port Authority would finance the second tower at the site, a 64-story building [4 WTC] to be completed in 2013. The city and Port Authority have already agreed to rent space in the building.

Developer Larry Silverstein would have to raise $300 million in cash to build a third office tower at the site [3 WTC]. New York City, New York state and the Port Authority would provide $600 million in backup financing if Silverstein first secures commitments to lease 400,000 square feet.

Silverstein said in a statement: "Today's agreement between my company and the Port Authority will accelerate the rebuilding of the World Trade Center. This is great news for New York."

The fourth office building at the site [2 WTC] would be built up to street level so the lot will be ready for Silverstein to put a tower there when and if the commercial real estate market recovers.
"When and if..." if only they knew!!!

Old Posted Jan 1, 2022, 11:52 PM

That latest design is basically a shorter version of Ho Chi Minh City's Landmark 81:

Old Posted Jan 2, 2022, 12:47 AM

All just variations of the original

Old Posted Jan 2, 2022, 3:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
That latest design is basically a shorter version of Ho Chi Minh City's Landmark 81:

That building is amazing.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2022, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Why hasn't he built it on spec? If it's just a matter of money why can't the government step in like they should?

The is whole rebuilding process is such a failure.
The role of government is not to provide funding for un-needed buildings just to make skyscraper nerds happy. When there is a need for the building it will be built.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2022, 7:59 PM

Quote:
For whatever reason the construction of this tower isn't being funded with help from the government unlike 1 WTC and 3 WTC. Not sure exactly why that is either.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2022, 8:34 PM
New Yorker for life

^ The government got out if that business. It’s the reason Silverstein is the leaseholder in the first place.

Quote:
It makes no sense for the government to fund skyscrapers on spec. The public contributes to a lot of things, like transit infrastructure. But an office tower isn’t at the top of priorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeRyan View Post
A reminder of how we got here, throwback to 11 years, 9 months ago:

"When and if..." if only they knew!!!
These towers were always going to be built up to street level because of the transit and retail components, among other things. There’s also the matter of egress requirements for the PATH terminal. In fact, if you choose the right exit (or entrance) to the station, you can walk through Tower 2 today.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2022, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
These towers were always going to be built up to street level because of the transit and retail components, among other things. There’s also the matter of egress requirements for the PATH terminal. In fact, if you choose the right exit (or entrance) to the station, you can walk through Tower 2 today.
Good point. I wonder though if in hindsight Silverstein regrets not prioritizing financing for Tower 2 before he secured 3 and 4. From a symbolic and aesthetic standpoint I think it would've been nicer to have the two tallest buildings completed first and foremost, even if it meant 3 and 4 in turn became the ones put on hold for over a decade.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeRyan View Post
Good point. I wonder though if in hindsight Silverstein regrets not prioritizing financing for Tower 2 before he secured 3 and 4. From a symbolic and aesthetic standpoint I think it would've been nicer to have the two tallest buildings completed first and foremost, even if it meant 3 and 4 in turn became the ones put on hold for over a decade.
I don't think he really cared. He probably preferred 3 and 4 since they had less space to rent and could get off the ground earlier. Tower 1 was always the highest priority because of its symbolism, and we are lucky that was the case given the huge amount of office space it contained. The original towers took years and years to fill up (I don't think they were finally filled until the early 80s stock market boom) and I don't think any developer is willing to take such a risk now. The best bet for tower 2 will be a bunch of fintechs or cyptocurrency companies interesting in leasing space in the heart of the financial district. It would be neat if a tech company like Apple or Microsoft decided to lease a huge chunk of space but even they prefer to be in midtown - [it would have been neat to have the Apple logo on one of diamonds of the Foster building, but that is clearly not happening].

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 3:49 AM
Posh

Is there any way they could use the design from one of the losing WTC replacement competition entries?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 2:01 PM
I like Skyscrapers 🏙

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post

Looks like China’s Sky City.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction