HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 1:32 AM

Westgate pics

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 1:51 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Interesting pictures, I doubt its somewhere I'll ever hang out, unless I'm going to a game.

Am I the only one who finds the "Verado" ad campaign SUPER creepy? "I believe in...XYZ," its like a cult or something. Places like Anthem and Verado seriously creep me out on a level I can't explain.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 2:16 AM
under the influence...

I see business is really booming at Westgate

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 4:59 AM

I noticed there's not really a whole lot down there quite right now. If there were some compelling places to eat/shop I'd make the trip (I hope the rumors of an Apple store at Zanjero come true). I did go to a Cards game, but the way parking works there, they force you away from WestGate and to the south! I had to drive about 2 miles south before I could turn left and head back north up 83rd Ave...

What concerns me is, even the Park West development in Peoria has no retailers/restaraunts listed on its website, and it opens in October. WestGate has been open for almost a year, and just barely has anything coming online aside from a few restaruants. Then Zanjero is going up too with more shopping, office towers, condos and another hotel tower, but who's going to fill that too? It could take a few years to get this all kicked into gear - I'd rather see more office towers going up to expand worthwhile employment for the west side....

btw, McFarlane Toys is opening their retail store at WestGate this coming weekend, from what I hear. So, if you're into that kinda thing that may be worth the trip.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 6:00 AM
under the influence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
btw, McFarlane Toys is opening their retail store at WestGate this coming weekend, from what I hear. So, if you're into that kinda thing that may be worth the trip.
No need for me, the original is right here in Tempe.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 12:57 PM

Ah yes, but this one is supposed to be quite different. They're aiming for the sports crowds coming out of games (hard to do when traffic control sends you the opposite way...). I've seen the original one in Tempe - very cool in a disturbing way. From what I understand, WestGate location is supposed to be the 'flagship store'. The one in Tempe was a test. (but still cool!)

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 5:00 PM

Awesome pics

Nice pics of West gate

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 8:05 PM

I like Westgate's bright Art Deco color scheme, but all the billboards plastered over the rooftops makes for a lot of visual clutter.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 2:39 PM

These pictures must have been taken before the fire shut down Johnny Rockets and burnt half the big billboard on top of it.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwwolfe View Post
These pictures must have been taken before the fire shut down Johnny Rockets and burnt half the big billboard on top of it.
When did this happen?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 3:57 PM
BANNED

i thought one of the big selling points of westgate was supposed to be electronic billboards "rivaling times square." they look like wallpaper billboards to me.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 9:38 PM

I'm not sure you should be surprised since this whole development is a cheap rip-off of a real city, sanitized and sports-themed for all the suburbanite a-holes who live in a stucco-ed illusion.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2007, 6:58 AM

^^^ Ouch! Way to say it like it is, though. It will be interesting to see how the nature of Westgate changes as development, some at fairly high densities, grows around it. I doubt it will avoid the decay spiral that seems to strike suburban malls, but perhaps its proximity to the sports arena/stadium will offer sustained life to the sense of newness that pervades the place. I'm thinking of the feel of Desert Ridge, which has high-end, new development taking place all around it, which contributes to the sense that the mall itself, by now several years old, is still just as far from its ultimate obsolescence as the day it opened. At least to suburbanites. Personally, I was "over it" the first time I visited the place, and many subsequent visits have failed to improve my impression.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2007, 3:40 PM
under the influence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Ah yes, but this one is supposed to be quite different. They're aiming for the sports crowds coming out of games (hard to do when traffic control sends you the opposite way...). I've seen the original one in Tempe - very cool in a disturbing way. From what I understand, WestGate location is supposed to be the 'flagship store'. The one in Tempe was a test. (but still cool!)
McFarlane opens toy store at Westgate

Quote:
Scott Wong
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 31, 2007 01:56 PM
When Joe Stephens of Tucson read on the Spawn.com message board late Thursday about the opening of Todd McFarlane's first retail toy store, he immediately lined up a babysitter for his nearly 2-year-old son.

By 2 a.m. Friday, he was already on the road heading for Glendale's Westgate City Center.

"My wife wasn't thrilled, but she knows how much it means to me," said Stephens, 30, whose home is adorned with more than 300 action figures made by the Valley toy creator.

Stephens, a customer service manager for Citibank, was the first paying customer and one of dozens of McFarlane fanatics Friday who had the opportunity to meet their hero, have him sign their figurines and chat with him about their favorite toy.

In fact, McFarlane got behind the register and rang up Stephens' purchase: a 2007 Super Bowl exclusive figurine of Miami Dolphin player Jason Taylor and a Legends collectors figurine of former Dallas Cowboys quarterback Roger Staubach.

The 2,117-square-foot shop, near Loop 101 and Glendale Avenue and north of Jobing.com Arena and University of Phoenix Stadium, houses more than 5,700 action figures, ranging from pro athletes to TV characters to rock and roll band members.

Shelves were stocked with clamshell-covered figures of everything from Ozzy Osbourne and the Beatles' Yellow Submarine series to LeBron James and a Barry Bonds 756 home run commemorative set.

McFarlane, whose toy company is headquartered in Tempe and who first gained fame as the creator of Spawn comic books, said he was overwhelmed by Friday's turnout.

Despite his celebrity status and cult following, McFarlane said he doesn't think twice about signing an autograph or answering a fan's question about where he or she can find a certain collectible toy. After all, it's loyal customers "who put food on my family's table," he said.

Even after his tremendous success in comic books, toys and TV and film production, McFarlane said, his nerves still get the best of him before a major launch.

"Whenever we do something like this or do a signing, there is always that anxious moment when you think your customers won't show up or don't exist," said McFarlane, in between signing autographs for a line of customers than snaked around the shop.

"I keep thinking my 15 minutes of fame is like a bubble that will burst."

Jeremy Gates, a 17-year-old senior at Peoria's Ironwood High School, browsed the store while his mother stood in line. The two have a history with McFarlane figurines.

After the Arizona Diamondbacks were crowned World Series champs in 2001, Gates' mother, Pauline, gave her son a McFarlane figurine of star pitcher Randy Johnson. He reciprocated, giving her a Mike Piazza.

"It went from there," said Gates, whose family now has nearly 200 of the highly detailed statuettes.

"This is absolutely wonderful," he added.

"It's a joy to be able to come down here and collect 'McFarlanes' one by one."
Nice. It's the first 'consumer' store for what is quickly becoming a small empire. But it won't have the first-run, promotional, or other unique items found at the Tempe mothership.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2007, 4:50 PM

wow. westgate just might be the most cracker thing I have ever seen in my life. So funny that you all noticed the scary VERADO billboard!! Those people are CRREEPPYYY!!! all the other billboards are for companies like... ReMAX 2000. LOL. Also - did anyone notice how LARGE the parallel parking spots are?? You can easily fit 2 cars in any one spot. Glendale is so lame... It's a damn shame that the superbowl is going to be held out there - visitors will never get to visit the better half!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floc34 View Post
When did this happen?

http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...re0821-CP.html

Old Posted Sep 10, 2007, 10:57 PM

Park West unveils list of tenants:

DINING
• Fleming’s: the ultimate steakhouse destination for people seeking a stylish, lively and contemporary dining experience
• Blue Wasabi Sushi & Martini Bar: casual dining that merges innovative sushi and contemporary American/Asian cuisine with a hip, modern design and an upbeat lounge-like atmosphere
• Grimaldi’s: New York pizzas made with fresh mozzarella, tomato, basil, and dough made daily
• Sandbar: Mexican cuisine with outdoor patio dining and beach-like atmosphere
• BJ’s Brewhouse: serves quality food and fresh, handcrafted beers in a casual, high energy atmosphere
• RedBrick Pizza: century old Italian tradition combined with new world technology to create fresh fire-roasted gourmet pizzas
• Auld Dubliner: Irish pub and restaurant with a strong emphasis on authenticity
• Cold Stone Creamery: preparing custom ice cream creations on a frozen granite stone

WOMENS APPAREL
• Chico’s: private branded, sophisticated, casual-to-dressy clothing, intimates, complementary accessories, and other non-clothing gift items
• Christopher & Banks: women’s casual apparel, serving the needs of today’s busy fashion-conscious woman
• Victoria’s Secret: world-famous women’s apparel, lingerie and Victoria’s Secret beauty collections
• White House I Black Market: elegant and fashionable women’s apparel, jewelry, accessories and gifts in the timeless colors of black and white

SPECIALTY RETAILERS
• Brighton Collectibles: features Brighton’s own unique belts, handbags, wallets, watches, jewelry and sunglasses
• Francesca’s Collections: unique gift products, home accessories, apparel, and an endless variety of jewelry
• Icing by Claire’s: affordable women’s jewelry, accessories and ear piercing
• Portrait Innovations: professional portrait photography studios with state-of-the-art, on-site high quality portrait production equipment
• Select Comfort: Sleep Number Beds by Select Comfort, air mattresses and bedding essentials for all bed sizes

CHILDREN
• The Children’s Place: a wide selection of fun, mix ‘n match styles for kids from head-to-toe in size 0-14

TEENS
• PacSun: everyday casual apparel, accessories and footwear designed to meet the needs of active teens and young adults

BEAUTY
• Bath & Body Works: fragrant flavorful indulgences, including shower gels, lotions, candles and accessories with an emphasis on innovation from nature
• Massage Envy: massage clinic dedicated to providing professional and affordable therapeutic massage services
• Merle Norman Cosmetics: specialty retail store featuring exclusive skin care and cosmetic products
• Nails of the World: a full-service nail spa

SHOES
• Vans: action sports footwear grounded in youth, authenticity and individual style

This was released on August 31st from the centers website: www.shopparkwest.com

Last edited by zoomingthe305; Sep 10, 2007 at 11:11 PM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2007, 11:05 PM

Westgate gets Puma, Quicksilver stores
Scott Wong
The Arizona Republic
Sept. 5, 2007 03:18 PM

Fossil watches, McFarlane toys and the Body Shop are now open at Westgate City Center. And Sketchers, Quicksilver and Puma will be joining them in the coming months.

Developer Ellman Cos. said many of the new shops putting down roots At the Glendale entertainment district represent the first of their kind in the West Valley. In fact, Westgate's Puma store is the first full-service Puma outlet in the Valley.

The cluster of Westgate retailers is designed to appeal to a broad cross-section of shoppers - from teens and retirees to sports fans and rock-concert goers.

"We're trying to achieve a true mix of different tenants across the board that will create an urban center and an urban environment," said Jeffrey Hecht, Ellman Cos. spokesman. "We're trying to (produce the highest value) for Westgate and our tenants will be a true representation of that."

The center's shops are within walking distance of Jobing.com Arena and University of Phoenix Stadium, two major eventvenues. And Westgate's 20-screen AMC Theatres cineplex and a host of restaurants including Fox Sports Grill, Yard House and Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant, are interspersed among the stores.That provides for a unique retail experience absent of nail salons, cash-checking centers or other neighborhood businesses, said Eric Jorgensen, a senior vice president of retail for Grubb & Ellis|BRE Commercial in Phoenix.

"It's a destination retail project," said Jorgensen, who worked on the Gordon Biersch deal at Westgate. "You wouldn't see the typical shops that you would have in a commercial grocery center."

Westgate, near Loop 101 and Glendale Avenue, is no full-fledged shopping mall. The Guess store, whose seductive window posters have been heralding its imminent arrival for months, has been floundering and "has not moved forward," according to Hecht.

But he points out that visitors are only seeing the first phase of a 6.5-million-square-foot entertainment complex. Existing businesses represent only about 8 percent of the total project.

"We think they are really going to be successful tenants in Phase I and will help bring the next round of tenants in Phase 2," Hecht said. "They are really setting the table for the future of Westgate."

Coming by year end

Sketchers shoes

Quicksilver

Puma

Which which? sandwiches

Shane's Rib Shack

Coming next year

The Shout! House dueling piano bar.

Bar Louie Tavern & Grill

Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 12:28 AM

Wow, Park West seems really nice, considering what's in/near downtown Peoria now. Seems a little heavy on the pizza, but w/e. As always, the market will dictate what stays and what goes. I'd love to see some pictures as soon as it opens, hint hint

Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 3:09 AM

Some other restaurants coming to Westgate.

Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville. (under construction. looks huge)
Saddle Ranch Chop House. (with it's mechanical bull)
Bar Louie Tavern & Grill
Kabuki Japanese

P.S. If any of you have been to the Shout House in San Diego, that place rocks!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest