HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 12:26 AM

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 12:29 AM
MPLSXCHI

Wow scb! very nice...

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 12:35 AM

*Delete* DNAInfo article already mentioned

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 1:05 AM

What a fucking last couple of weeks with all of these announcements! Then we get the rendering reveals and it's all baller, all night long. Can't wait for more info on the Jahn design, I'm sure he's aiming to leave a legacy with it!

I think this is appropriate:

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 2:17 AM

Looks like two towers were announced for Cermak/Wabash at the meeting as well. From David Matthews Twitter "Here's the project Draper and Kramer wants to build at Cermak/Wabash. Would replace Shrine nightclub."

"Tall tower (19 stories) is 246 apartments, including affordable units. Shorter (7-story) building would be 144-room hotel."
https://twitter.com/DavidLMatthews

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
Wow scb! very nice...
Yeah, that post ^^^ - also SCB

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 2:50 AM

Yeah it was a double header for SCB tonight. The Michigan Ave one is pure SCB, but the Cermak TOD is a bold design for them.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 2:53 AM

Just got back from the 3rd ward meeting... a few more photos and info on the Indiana and Michigan project, highrise on 1300 block on Michigan, and the Cermak and Wabash projects.

I'll upload photos as soon as I get them off my camera (though I'm sure at least one of us was at the meeting probably with a better seat and camera than me. =)

I'll leave the details of the buildings to someone who took better notes. Interesting note that it sounds like for the Michigan and 13th building Alderman Pat Dowel convinced the developers to shrink the tower from 570' to 490' and reduced some units and increased some parking. (nooo... make it taller with less parking. It's going to pop over it's neighboring buildings to give some amazing views to the top floors, might as well give MORE people those amazing views and reduce the number of cars and traffic.)

The audience had a couple very vocal nimbies who disliked traffic and wanted more parking (in general, because there is no place for their friends to park when they come and visit. One lady wanted more public parking lots by her!) A lot of the nimbies were angry by the density of the projects and low parking ratio (where will the other 200 units park? They won't need or want parking, lady.) (and a lot were just speaking up out of turn, I may add)

One lady even said it was a tragedy the way the neighborhood is developing. Developers don't care about the neighborhood at all and only want to pack as many units in as possible and make money! (shocking!) Why don't they make those parcels a park and move the developments further south and west? (She seriously suggested this! It's private property, lady... you make your home a public park. AND those sites are less than 5 minute walk from GRANT park.)

I actually think the developers and their lawyers did a fairly bad job. There was some talk about diversity and affordable housing, which wasn't going to win points with this audience. One person even pointed out that he didn't care about affordable housing. (at least he was honest)

I'm paraphrasing, but one of the attendees tried to help out and asked, 'how much tax revenue will this bring to the city?" The answer, "umm.. I don't know, I'll get back to you." The answer should have been 2 million of property tax revenue, thousands of $$ of additional local business revenue and a much more vibrant local community as 1,500+ additional residents allow the empty of struggling commercial properties in that area to come to life.

They also didn't say anything until prompted that most of the renters in the demographic they're looking at don't own cars and will take public transit to work.

I think the supporters (myself included) were way too subtle trying to show our support by asking questions to prompt the developers say good things. Finally, one guy got the mic and just said that he likes that the South Loop is walkable, that he and his wife have a car, but they don't drive much, and this will make the neighborhood more walkable and convenient, and that the silent majority probably support this. (clapping!) Another man just got the mic later and said he supported the additional tax revenue these would bring in and was happy with the project (more clapping)

I think if I go to more of these (which I need to... though this one just made me so angry. The people complaining about density and parking and traffic are jerks. There were less people, less traffic, and more parking in the area before they came, now they're complaining about more people?) the strategy is just to say that we support this and that probably most people who live in the neighborhood (who are busy working) likely also support it.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 2:58 AM

I'd like to see more of the base and street level of Michigan and 13th, but that looks nice. A lot will depend on the glass quality obviously. What's the height, around 500'?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 3:01 AM

The silent majority thing is right. Most of the people coming to these things are grumpy old people who will complain out loud and a few writers (curbed, dnainfo, CAB) who don't ever say anything. People from this forum who go usually try to say something positive, but it'd be easy to walk away from these things thinking everyone hates it.

One of these days I'm going to hit my limit and I'll forego journalism ethics and just unload on these people. Downtown Chicago is not a retirement community!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
I'd like to see more of the base and street level of Michigan and 13th, but that looks nice. A lot will depend on the glass quality obviously. What's the height, around 500'?
They said 490' (also noted it was originally 570'. That's 7 floors of people that would have had the most AMAZING views that now will not exist. =( Though that also might have been posturing on both the Alderman's and developer's part.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0soleil View Post

I'm paraphrasing, but one of the attendees tried to help out and asked, 'how much tax revenue will this bring to the city?" The answer, "umm.. I don't know, I'll get back to you."
That was me...

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
That was me...
Nice to meet you, next time I'll swing by to say hi, I was the guy who was like, "my views North and West will be completely blocked by these projects (some audience members to my side cheering me on to complain more), but I'm OK with these... and given the 5 min walk to the L stop, how many renters will be using public transit?)

Yah, no more subtle hints / questions next time for me, just going to state that I'm in support. =)

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 3:30 AM
BANNED

ok next time i need to come to these meetings.
i would have no problem dressing down these people.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanrule View Post
ok next time i need to come to these meetings.
i would have no problem dressing down these people.
Yes, come! And I think a surprising number of people who come are in support. The row behind me of retirees were all making cracks to themselves about this not being Napervile at the density complaints and snide remarks at the parking complaints ("maybe if you had your own parking space or friends who could afford taxis, it wouldn't be a problem.") But I guess a lot of people didn't outright support or shoot down people's stupid complaints to begin with (myself included.) Once one of the supporting attendees just did away with pretending to ask a question (since the nimbies didn't both) and just said he was for it, there was definitely clapping. Need more vocal people!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 3:43 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Guys, let's please keep all discussion regarding 113 E Roosevelt in its dedicated thread:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=218570

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 3:59 AM

1326 S. Michigan
(sorry, l didn't realize we had a dedicated thread of 113 E. Roosevelt earlier)

Height: 490'
Units: 500
Parking: just under 300? (missed the exact number due to some lady saying, "where will the other 200 people park?")

Notice that they didn't do a blank concrete wall on the northside of the parking podium (they could have. But were at least thoughtful enough to know that it'll be years (if ever) before anything covers up that side of the podium.

And they seemed to have put some thought into it....

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 4:09 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0soleil View Post
(sorry, l didn't realize we had a dedicated thread of 113 E. Roosevelt earlier)
No worries, just trying to keep things neat and organized.

and thanks for all or your info and pics from the meeting tonight.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 4:17 AM

Can we please have a thread for 1326 S. Michigan? The tower breaks the unofficial height limit for South of Roosevelt and I like the design for the proposal a lot. I know it's just under the 500' club, but so are a few other threads in the Chicago Thread (Block 37, N. McClurg, McCormick Place hotel, Wolf Point West)

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 4:20 AM

In case anyone is interested in more details of 1326 S. Michigan....

Ground plan (there probably is a real term for this)

Parking floors

Amenity floor

Residential floors (Almost all studios & 1 bedrooms... which means lots of new residents to the neighborhood! Truthfully, I would have preferred a condo building with lots of 3 bedroom units (not for the nimbie reasons), but so I could aspire to one day buy a high floor north facing condo unit in the building and have kickass views of the city... but I'll take 500+ new neighbors - half of whom won't have cars)

Top floor amentity level. Views from here will be amazing. It's taller than anything in all directions except for the OMP and the new Vinoly buildings (and they're far enough away and on an angle) so clear views of the lake and city and endless views south and west.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations